• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Pilot/ NFO "Rolling" Boards MAR/APR 2013

delta215

My OR and I decided that in order to increase my chances of getting selected, we're going to put a whole bunch of rare earth magnets in my application to attract the metal darts they throw at the applications (blindfolded, of course) to select who gets pro-rec'd.

Ha ha. Actually just went and signed some MEPS paperwork today. We're shooting for the rolling board after MEPS appointment on Monday. I pulled my overall GPA up by 0.1 to 3.3 this quarter, 24 units with a 3.533 GPA. Also reworking motivational statement and getting 2 more recommendation letters... I think my ASTB was 7/6/6/60. No priors, 25 female, Mechanical Engineering.

Get it in soon! And good luck! Hope all goes well at MEPS. Beware the depth perception test. :D

alaurin

All day, every day!
Thanks.

I think the biggest test is the "don't be anxious about your application or Marine Corps DIs at OCS" test.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My OR and I decided that in order to increase my chances of getting selected, we're going to put a whole bunch of rare earth magnets in my application to attract the metal darts they throw at the applications (blindfolded, of course) to select who gets pro-rec'd.

Ha ha. Actually just went and signed some MEPS paperwork today. We're shooting for the rolling board after MEPS appointment on Monday. I pulled my overall GPA up by 0.1 to 3.3 this quarter, 24 units with a 3.533 GPA. Also reworking motivational statement and getting 2 more recommendation letters... I think my ASTB was 7/6/6/60. No priors, 25 female, Mechanical Engineering.
alaurin, in the opinion of this crusty ol' veteran, your GPA/test scores & application package are lookin' fine... so forget the "rare earth magnets" and witch doctor voodoo, don't think you'll be needin' it!;)

Good luck with your selection board.:)
BzB

alaurin

All day, every day!
Thanks, BusyBee. Appreciate the support! I'll save some money by calling the witch doctor off.

alaurin

All day, every day!
Yea I failed that one already haha! :D

You should check out this guy's blog, it gave me a lot of peace of mind after reading-- http://ecumenicity.blogspot.com/2007/10/navy-ocs-tips.html

I know what you mean- after my stress fracture, my biggest worry is just being able to do the 3-4 mile run at the 9 min pace. Every little pain I get in my foot makes me question my body's ability to recover, even 6 months later and though the doctor told me the fracture was caused by my shoes.

VFRonly

Pro-Rec SNFO May, 3rd 2013
You should check out this guy's blog, it gave me a lot of peace of mind after reading-- http://ecumenicity.blogspot.com/2007/10/navy-ocs-tips.html

I know what you mean- after my stress fracture, my biggest worry is just being able to do the 3-4 mile run at the 9 min pace. Every little pain I get in my foot makes me question my body's ability to recover, even 6 months later and though the doctor told me the fracture was caused by my shoes.

That is an informative blog post. Well I'm no doctor but it sounds it won't be to long before you're 100% again if you keep that running up.

MarpatCam

alaurin,

Dont worry about the Marine Corps Drill Instructors either. I am a prior enlisted Marine Corps Sgt and went through boot camp at Parris Island... its all mental with physical games! Also, my stepfather is a retired Marine Corps MSgt and served as a DI on the island for 3 years follwed by a tour at DI School Parris Island (as a DI) and finally a twilight tour at USMC OCS in Quantico (As a DI). Drill Instructors are normal people and as long as you keep that in the back of your head as you go through each training day then you will make it out just fine! I wish you the best of luck on the boards. Hopefully I will see you (as well as the rest of you fine ladies and gentlemen) at OCS very soon.

-MarpatCam

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.

People tend to over-state the running that occurs there. You start out the program doing 1.5 mile runs 3x/week. There is a warmup formation run (very slowly paced) and a short warmup run, all told totaling 1.75-2 miles (so somewhere around 6 miles on the week). You are also broken up by ability so if you are in the slow group the staff leading the run will run at about a 8-10 min/mile pace, depending on what the group can hack and how the staff member is feeling that day. You may also work sprints in there to get your speed up. After about a month, the distance gets raised incrementally. We did 2.2 mile road runs but now people are saying you use the track. Tues/Thurs are strength and conditioning days where you do all sorts of creative stuff that will make you wish you were running. I was not a runner showing up to OCS but after 2 weeks of these days I looked forward to the run days. They were relaxing. No one yelled at you unless you were last, so don't be last (You won't get picked up in the van unless you demonstrate that you can't continue running. Don't do that unless you are injured). Crawling across a field in a caterpillar formation while the DI yells in your ears and doing it again because you didn't beat the other team was not relaxing.

Thankfully strength and conditioning gave way to suporting graduation preps for the graduating class. We had a small class so between that and watch PT on tues/thurs stopped occurring.

Sat is a pot luck day and it's pretty much going to depend on your DI's preference on what you do those days. Your first Sat is outpost when you move from the indoc p-way to your batallion p-way IIRC so you can bank on that one involving a lot of creative exercises with a full duffel bag. I did 1 5k in the 12 weeks I was there, and that was the longest run. One of the more fun ones was going to the gym and having races with another class (when I say race I mean crab walk, bear crawl, etc and loser gets to go again while the other class yells at them for being losers).

If I had to emphasize one exercise that would make life easier at OCS it would be pushups, not running. For my class it was bear crawling, for another it was 8 count body builders, and for the black ninja's class they just spent a lot of time in the down pushup position and 'making diamonds.' But the common theme is that regardless of the DI's flavor you spend a lot of time on all fours and being good at pushups will make that time a bit less painful.

So bottom line: don't show up a fat slob, but you don't need to be a world class runner to be capable of running 6 miles a week at a 9 min/mi pace.

VFRonly

Talked to my processor today, and according to her there will be a selection board every month for the time being at least.

James M.

EOU Future Pilot
Just wondering if anybody knows of any scheduled boards that are going to be held? Graduate this December, but looking to put in package as soon as possible.

Z0gsxr

Hey guys, so I thought my package was totally completed and submitted, but I got a call today from my OR... Apparently there is some sort of a new requirement on the tattoo forms. I do not have any tattoos, but I had to sign some forms that were not previously required... Anyone heard of this? I hope that this doesnt delay my application, and possibly miss the "rolling board" I was in for. Perhaps NavyOffrec has some insight? Cheers..

VFRonly

Hey guys, so I thought my package was totally completed and submitted, but I got a call today from my OR... Apparently there is some sort of a new requirement on the tattoo forms. I do not have any tattoos, but I had to sign some forms that were not previously required... Anyone heard of this? I hope that this doesnt delay my application, and possibly miss the "rolling board" I was in for. Perhaps NavyOffrec has some insight? Cheers..

Yes it is a new requirement for all applications to contain a new signed "Tattoo/Body Mutilation Agreement". I had to sign and send this to my processor as well, and I don't have any tattoos or piercings either. I personally think you will be okay as far as your application making it to the board, because a concrete deadline has not been put out to my knowledge. It SEEMS more like they will be reviewing applications as they are received by the board.

exNavyOffRec

Remember how I said they kept going back and forth, well this is one of those things, at first it wasn't required to have it signed when there were no tattoos, then it was required, then it wasn't, etc.....