• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Pilot/ NFO "Rolling" Boards MAR/APR 2013

AirGuy

Talked to my processor today, and according to her there will be a selection board every month for the time being at least.
Man this is making me pretty anxious. Feels like they are taking so many in right now, but the time I get to apply there's going to be a lot less demand and no slots left for OCS, especially with all the budget cuts and everything...

I'm eligible to apply in August. Do you think the boards will be going until then?

And a question in general about Naval Aviation vs Air Force Aviation. Does the Navy tend to have more pilot slots open (less applicants per amount of slots) compared to the Air Force?

VFRonly

Pro-Rec SNFO May, 3rd 2013
Man this is making me pretty anxious. Feels like they are taking so many in right now, but the time I get to apply there's going to be a lot less demand and no slots left for OCS, especially with all the budget cuts and everything...

I'm eligible to apply in August. Do you think the boards will be going until then?

You never know man. The military always needs to bring new people in to keep up manning and replace those that leave the service every year. It's kind of a two way street with recruiting and what is the approximate number that the Navy, as an example deems as an effective number of personnel to meet operational needs. These things ebb and flow but don't let the thought of budget cuts discourage you, because budget cuts don't always affect the DOD across the board and sometimes they just target certain programs or departments of the military. [/quote]

And a question in general about Naval Aviation vs Air Force Aviation. Does the Navy tend to have more pilot slots open (less applicants per amount of slots) compared to the Air Force?

All I can say is that my research tells me that the Air Force tends to take less people every year through their OTS (Officer Training School) in comparison to the Navy's numbers.

BleedGreen

pilot
Yes it is a new requirement for all applications to contain a new signed "Tattoo/Body Mutilation Agreement". I had to sign and send this to my processor as well, and I don't have any tattoos or piercings either. I personally think you will be okay as far as your application making it to the board, because a concrete deadline has not been put out to my knowledge. It SEEMS more like they will be reviewing applications as they are received by the board.
Do you recall what the form # was? Just trying to be on top of things because my recruiter isn't the greatest...

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS
You never know man. The military always needs to bring new people in to keep up manning and replace those that leave the service every year. It's kind of a two way street with recruiting and what is the approximate number that the Navy, as an example deems as an effective number of personnel to meet operational needs. These things ebb and flow but don't let the thought of budget cuts discourage you, because budget cuts don't always affect the DOD across the board and sometimes they just target certain programs or departments of the military.

Plus, I KnOw we'RE About to make a move ;) so that could be a reason why as well folks. It'll be interesting to see what transpires over the next few weeks with that idiot 'over there...' (points over to the fat third grade kid who never shuts up and is all talk and no action) lol

PrudasJiest

Haze Gray
If I have a tattoo and definitely already submitted a signed document regarding navy tattoo policy months ago, am I good or is there some new form?

AirGuy

You never know man. The military always needs to bring new people in to keep up manning and replace those that leave the service every year. It's kind of a two way street with recruiting and what is the approximate number that the Navy, as an example deems as an effective number of personnel to meet operational needs. These things ebb and flow but don't let the thought of budget cuts discourage you, because budget cuts don't always affect the DOD across the board and sometimes they just target certain programs or departments of the military.

All I can say is that my research tells me that the Air Force tends to take less people every year through their OTS (Officer Training School) in comparison to the Navy's numbers.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, that's what I was hoping for. Glad the Navy takes in more people through OCS. I'll hope for the best, I'm hurrying up and scheduling the ASTB in 4 weeks. So finally get things moving for me.

AirGuy

Plus, I KnOw we'RE About to make a move ;) so that could be a reason why as well folks. It'll be interesting to see what transpires over the next few weeks with that idiot 'over there...' (points over to the fat third grade kid who never shuts up and is all talk and no action) lol
I was wondering the same thing too. But the pilot / NFO they take in now would only be good for deployment 2 - 4 years down the road right? Seems like the future need of these positions are hard to judge because it takes so long just to make a pilot or NFO.

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS
Guys I need help understanding something?? My OR just contacted me and told me I have been "Pro-Boarded...reviewed and accepted into the next board" What exactly...does this mean???

USAF_WX2USN

Guys I need help understanding something?? My OR just contacted me and told me I have been "Pro-Boarded...reviewed and accepted into the next board" What exactly...does this mean???

I believe it means that your kit has been received by the board and at first glance you're not missing paperwork or anything and it will actually meet the board.

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS
I was wondering the same thing too. But the pilot / NFO they take in now would only be good for deployment 2 - 4 years down the road right? Seems like the future need of these positions are hard to judge because it takes so long just to make a pilot or NFO.

and good point. Ehh, I'm not sure how it works. I haven't researched it enough. I would love to know what they did with prospective SNAs/NFOs during WWI & WWII...NOT saying that we're going into any conflict of the sort. I just wonder if there was somewhat of an expedited process during those times. Would be an interesting read if I could find it...

MasterBates

Well, screening candidates better than in the WWII era (Naval Aviation was there for WWI, but not in the huge numbers of WWII) for both aptitude and physical problems, while not the sole reason for the improvement in safety, has done a good part of making sure those who start training live to see the end of it..

Better aircraft, less of a push for production, and more training before being unleashed in more advanced aircraft by themselves have also helped.

VFRonly

Pro-Rec SNFO May, 3rd 2013
Do you recall what the form # was? Just trying to be on top of things because my recruiter isn't the greatest...

Yea it is: NAVPERS 1070/613 (Rev . 07-06) and the subject is Tattoo/Body Art/Body Mutilation/Body Marking Warning