• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 08JUL2024 SNA/SNFO BOARD

bendaggs

When u do your push ups do you perform them at a fast or slow pace?
I’ve tried Stew Smith’s programs as well with no luck. Everything else seems to be moving a long smoothly, but adding push ups to my max has been the toughest. I’m going to try hitting some chest/tri days.

Danger95

Momentum is your friend when it comes to push-ups. The best way to avoid early fatigue is by knocking them out at a fast rate. Practice this trick. Give yourself 2 mins, in the 1st minute knock out as many as you can fast pace and in the 2nd minute knock out sets of 5 rest for 5 seconds all the way till the clock hits 00:00

Average Monke

A primate with internet access
There's a big difference between doing them for reps (fast) and slow (strength).

When doing the PFT, you goal is to maximize quantity. When training, you primary goal should be to quality to improve strength and endurance. Training in the manor you would take the PFT is likely why you are plateauing. Instead, I would recommend focusing the quality and types of pushups are doing and quantity will follow.

Here are a few things to think about in no particular order:

1. Slow and controlled concentric (down), explosive eccentric (up).

2. Maximize range of motion. For an added challenge, put some blocks under your hands so that you can go lower on the eccentric. This will create a much deeper stretch in the chest and increase the difficulty of the push up.

3. Try different push up variations (i.e. diamond, wide, incline/decline). Different hand placements and elevations will target different muscles.

4. Be intentional with your breathing. It's easy to forget to breath during your set, especially when pushing hard. Not breathing is bad... Inhale on the way down and exhale on the way up, ideally through your nose.

5. Progressive overload. Every week/few days, make sure you are increasing the intensity of your workout either by number of reps or difficulty of the push ups. Tracking your progress is key.

bendaggs

There's a big difference between doing them for reps (fast) and slow (strength).

When doing the PFT, you goal is to maximize quantity. When training, you primary goal should be to quality to improve strength and endurance. Training in the manor you would take the PFT is likely why you are plateauing. Instead, I would recommend focusing the quality and types of pushups are doing and quantity will follow.

Here are a few things to think about in no particular order:

1. Slow and controlled concentric (down), explosive eccentric (up).

2. Maximize range of motion. For an added challenge, put some blocks under your hands so that you can go lower on the eccentric. This will create a much deeper stretch in the chest and increase the difficulty of the push up.

3. Try different push up variations (i.e. diamond, wide, incline/decline). Different hand placements and elevations will target different muscles.

4. Be intentional with your breathing. It's easy to forget to breath during your set, especially when pushing hard. Not breathing is bad... Inhale on the way down and exhale on the way up, ideally through your nose.

5. Progressive overload. Every week/few days, make sure you are increasing the intensity of your workout either by number of reps or difficulty of the push ups. Tracking your progress is key.
Are you doing max rep sets? How many sets/reps are you doing?

Average Monke

A primate with internet access
Are you doing max rep sets? How many sets/reps are you doing?
Short answer it depends. I usually work in pushups at the end of my push days at the gym, so I'll do 4-6 reverse pyramid sets to failure or RPE 8-9. If I am fresh and doing a workout with just push ups, I'll typically do 5 sets of 60% or my max reps. Form is more important than reps though so be super strict with yourself.

Edit: I might be helpful to use an app like "Just 6 Weeks" if you don't want to think about creating a training plan.

bendaggs

Short answer it depends. I usually work in pushups at the end of my push days at the gym, so I'll do 4-6 reverse pyramid sets to failure or RPE 8-9. If I am fresh and doing a workout with just push ups, I'll typically do 5 sets of 60% or my max reps. Form is more important than reps though so be super strict with yourself.

Edit: I might be helpful to use an app like "Just 6 Weeks" if you don't want to think about creating a training plan.
I appreciate the answers. I want to be as prepared for this stuff as much as possible.

sethwilson106

While on the topic, do you guys know the order of workouts and the rest periods for the PFT? I want to run a mock off to get my baselines. Thanks!

Well, my recruiter called me about an hour ago and said I did not get picked up by this board. He did say a few interesting things in our conversation (take these with a grain of salt)
-this board mostly or only picked up auto-qualified candidates, like those with 7s across the board
-my package was missing/had a corrupted college transcript on it, not sure how that happened, but he said that didn't matter.

He also said that they are creating a new board, that will be meeting in early September, the 2nd or the 4th he said (again, not 100%). My package will be re-submitted before that board.

Best of luck to the rest of you! Interested to see how this pans out.