• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS packing list 2022

JoeBob1788

They will inspect all your stuff the day you arrive to OCS, typically it is the candios who do that, but sometimes the class team inspects your luggage themselves, I would not count of either one of them letting you keep that sleeping bag since well, you have a bed right?
As of this fall, we were all allowed personal bedding. I had a large pillow and blanket, it took up half of my 2-drawer but I slept great. Worst case you have to put it in your lucky bag, but they’ll let you use it as long as it’s locked away during the day.

Mouselovr

Contributor
Is this seriously an issue? I never had that problem at OCS and our DI would come into the showers with us (the dudes at least) and cause chaos. If you don't have enough time for hygiene in the morning, you aren't doing something right or you just need to learn how to shower faster.

But I guess this was back in the day when OCS was actually hard and we had to deal with electrical fires and freezing temperatures in the old Nimitz Hall (right across from Ney Hall). You young whipper-snappers wouldn't know anything about that. ;)
Post is also written a female with long hair and mad frizz. Ie showering then getting hair in regs = not happening.

If you do not have to deal with hair, it would be possible to shower but it would still be a very quick turnaround.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Unfortunately this is very true. Boot camp, dive school, anywhere else I’ve taken quick showers and never had a problem. OCS didn’t provide enough time to change after PT, no thought to showers until Candio phase. I don’t know of anyone who regularly took showers after PT. On the plus side, new Nimitz is really pretty nice, with two showers in each two-room suite.
That's wild. I'd hate to have to take baby wipe baths for 2/3rds of OCS.

Post is also written a female with long hair and mad frizz. Ie showering then getting hair in regs = not happening.

If you do not have to deal with hair, it would be possible to shower but it would still be a very quick turnaround.
Yeah, I can see how women have a harder time. We men would wake up before PT and shave. IIRC we'd also go directly to chow after PT and then do hygiene afterwards.

johnpauljones1776

Un-salted butter bar (non prior)
Yes, and you’ll have the opportunity to purchase there. I can’t remember if we were issued any but they insisted we use it constantly. Newport in the summer is beautiful although the AC is out in a lot of the classrooms. Sucks.
Would suggest bringing white under T shirts to prevent sweat stains?

donny1995

I leave May 7th, 2023. The items I am bringing are

compression shorts, boxers, toiletries, running shoes, socks, and small technology items (ie, phone) for after graduation.

My questions are:

Should I bring any NWUs I currently have?
What brand/type of boots are authorized and most comfortable?
I have a comfortable pillow, but I hear that is overkill.

villo0692

I leave May 7th, 2023. The items I am bringing are

compression shorts, boxers, toiletries, running shoes, socks, and small technology items (ie, phone) for after graduation.

My questions are:

Should I bring any NWUs I currently have?
What brand/type of boots are authorized and most comfortable?
I have a comfortable pillow, but I hear that is overkill.
If you have type 3 NWUs in good condition from prior time you can take them. Your class team will inspect them and authorize them if worthy enough. Definitely take your phone, you’ll need it for candio phase. I’d bring a good blanket instead of a pillow tbh

abctotheabc

Bring good socks! Quality black socks. I used gold toe, and when I was trying to stretch out my boots I wore the gold toe and the navy issued over them. The white socks they give are pretty good.

In boot camp, they didn’t let us shave our heads. Can I continue to shave my head and be bald or will I have to let them manage my haircuts? I also have a no shave chit for my face and am worried about how hard it will be to get that again.

Will I be able to have a tennis ball in my 2 drawer? I use it to roll out my plantar fasciitis after periods of excessive running. Can I bring my navy issued insole/orthotics?

Whiskeyrice

In boot camp, they didn’t let us shave our heads. Can I continue to shave my head and be bald or will I have to let them manage my haircuts? I also have a no shave chit for my face and am worried about how hard it will be to get that again.

Will I be able to have a tennis ball in my 2 drawer? I use it to roll out my plantar fasciitis after periods of excessive running. Can I bring my navy issued insole/orthotics?
You can shave your head.

We had a couple of folks with no shave chits in my class and they didn't complain.

I'd keep it in your desk drawer locked up. Your insoles shouldn't be an issue.

jacobsolo

Couple of questions about OCS,

1. Do you recommend taking decent running shoes or really nice ones?
After reading around it sounds like the weather will be terrible, especially during the peak of winter when I'm going, so I'm leaning towards taking running shoes that I do not care about. But at the same time I want to be prepared with good shoes.

2. Can I bring an electric toothbrush or is a manual one best?

3. If we bring our own towel does it have to be white?

4. Do we really need to bring a checkbook? and do we need to setup 1 step authentication for bank accounts (as it says to do here https://www.netc.navy.mil/Commands/Naval-Service-Training-Command/OTCN/OCS/)

5. On top of bringing the originals, do we need official copies of our SSN, birth certificate, marriage certificate or will scanned printed copies do?

Jacksa71

After reading around it sounds like the weather will be terrible, especially during the peak of winter when I'm going, so I'm leaning towards taking running shoes that I do not care about. But at the same time I want to be prepared with good shoes.

4. Do we really need to bring a checkbook? and do we need to setup 1 step authentication for bank accounts (as it says to do here https://www.netc.navy.mil/Commands/Naval-Service-Training-Command/OTCN/OCS/)

5. On top of bringing the originals, do we need official copies of our SSN, birth certificate, marriage certificate or will scanned printed copies do?
1) definitely bring running shoes, just don’t bring shitty ones ( holes/ peeling) a physical trainer will exam all shoes for use. You’ll be wearing them the first 3 weeks so make sure they are comfortable to walk in all day too.

2)do what you want. I have manual and my room has electric

3) yes

4) the reason why you bring a checkboxi is for the routing number and account number for check in so you can get paid. That is the only purpose.

5) originals

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6

A month before OCS, I bought two pairs of the same shoes. I put like 10 ish miles on one pair on pavement/sidewalks to break them in, but keep them looking nice. The other pair were my daily trainers. I kept the fresh ones set aside for RLP.

Others only had one pair of shoes and it didn't impact their inspections.

johnpauljones1776

Un-salted butter bar (non prior)

Bring a pair of running shoes that you’ll be comfortable in all day.

I’d also recommend turning two factor authentication off on anything you might want to use while you’re there. If you can’t figure out how to turn off your emails 2 factor, I think proton email is one that doesn’t require it.