• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pentagon says ships harassed by Iran

BourneID

pilot
It seems all the non-winged folks here think we're at war with Iran... Folks, tensions may be swinging back and forth, but we're not at war with them. While what they did is straddling the fence on harassment and overt hostility, there were no shots fired, no explosions... and like said before, QUIT asking about ROE. No one in their right mind would post that here.

Now here is a technicality, we might not be at war with Iran, Ok. But we have designated the Revolutionary Guard as a terrorist Organization, and we are fight the “War on Terror”. As for your non winged comment, there are several folks on here that don’t have wings under their names, or even a SWO pin for that matter, but do know what goes on in that area of the world, other than what CNN or FOX news tells them. :D

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
So quit the arm chair quarterbacking and pontificating on subjects you do not have the knowledge or experience to really understand.

Hal, have you NEVER given your opinion on a subject in which you hadn't been an expert on or actually experienced first hand? That was rhetorical by the way, I'm sure you have, along with everyone else on AW. So please don't attempt to limit posts to experts on subjects and those who have been a party to such events, because in all acuality, if that was the case, nobody in here could post. And its just a discussion, if you don't like my opinion, thats fine. Tell me in a post that you don't like my opinion. And by the way, I love it when I get negative rep because someone doesn't agree with my opinion, thats awesome.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
Says who? Who said the captain gave that order?

This is per the article:

Describing the confrontation as "significant", a Pentagon official told reporters that the Iranians had radioed to the US ships something along the lines of: "We're coming at you and you'll explode in a couple of minutes".

The official said the Iranians moved away "literally at the very moment that US forces were preparing to open fire ... it is the most serious provocation of this sort that we've seen yet".

A US defence department spokesman said the Iranian boats were operating at "distances and speeds that showed ... reckless, dangerous and potentially hostile intent.
"At least some were visibly armed. Small Iranian fastboats made some aggressive manoeuvres against our vessels and indicated some hostile intent," he added.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
This is per the article:

Describing the confrontation as "significant", a Pentagon official told reporters that the Iranians had radioed to the US ships something along the lines of: "We're coming at you and you'll explode in a couple of minutes".

The official said the Iranians moved away "literally at the very moment that US forces were preparing to open fire ... it is the most serious provocation of this sort that we've seen yet".

A US defence department spokesman said the Iranian boats were operating at "distances and speeds that showed ... reckless, dangerous and potentially hostile intent.
"At least some were visibly armed. Small Iranian fastboats made some aggressive manoeuvres against our vessels and indicated some hostile intent," he added.

I don't see where the Captain gave the order. Just some hearsay from a Pentagon official.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now here is a technicality, we might not be at war with Iran, Ok. But we have designated the Revolutionary Guard as a terrorist Organization, and we are fight the “War on Terror”. As for your non winged comment, there are several folks on here that don’t have wings under their names, or even a SWO pin for that matter, but do know what goes on in that area of the world, other than what CNN or FOX news tells them. :D

Part of the point Bourne is that guys with the wings, water or pilot/NFO, under their names are going to be a lot more aware of the ROE and the bigger picture involved in situations like this particular one. Plus, the vast majority of guys here don't know the full story and the more experienced ones are wisely saying that speculation about what actually happened will get you nowhere.

And as for the 'War on Terror', you don't see us fighting the FARC, the LTTE, Hezbollah or Hamas either. All terrorist organizations according to the US government.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
I don't see where the Captain gave the order. Just some hearsay from a Pentagon official.

Well you can dispute that until the cows come home. However, if the ship wasn't close to firing, I'm sure the Pentagon would not want to throw those words around.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hal, have you NEVER given your opinion on a subject in which you hadn't been an expert on or actually experienced first hand? That was rhetorical by the way, I'm sure you have, along with everyone else on AW. So please don't attempt to limit posts to experts on subjects and those who have been a party to such events, because in all acuality, if that was the case, nobody in here could post. And its just a discussion, if you don't like my opinion, thats fine. Tell me in a post that you don't like my opinion. And by the way, I love it when I get negative rep because someone doesn't agree with my opinion, thats awesome.

Second rule of the wardroom: Don't whine, it will only make it worse.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
Second rule of the wardroom: Don't whine, it will only make it worse.

Thats not whining, if I was whining I would be asking him to give me positive rep to counter the negative rep. I just think its shitty to do that just becasue you disagree with someone. If that were the case, I would be in here giving out negative rep all day.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Well you can dispute that until the cows come home. However, if the ship wasn't close to firing, I'm sure the Pentagon would not want to throw those words around.

"the Pentagon" and "unnamed Pentagon official" are two very different beasts.

MasterBates

If someone was speaking on behalf of the Pentagon, it would be credited as such.

If I say something about VT-21 to the MSM, and am credited as an "Unnamed VT-21 Officer" does that mean the CO authorized what I said?

HELL NO.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Thats not whining, if I was whining I would be asking him to give me positive rep to counter the negative rep.

Verb

to whine (third-person singular simple present whines, present participle whining, simple past whined, past participle whined)
  1. to utter a whine
The jet engines whined at take off.
  1. to complain or protest in a childish manner or about trivial things
The dog was whining outside the door to be let in.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
You know, just anyone can't speak on behalf of the Pentagon, right?

digging.jpg

Just digging the hole deeper my friend.

It doesn't take someone with that much experience to see that the skipper made the right choice. And pretty much everyone here agrees with that. International incident avoided, ROE followed, Skipper's call, nobody hurt. Perhaps its time to let this one go.