• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary selection joke gets taken too far . . .

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
so its gpa, astb, lor's, motivational statement and AW avatar now? maybe i should just put an avatar of CNET or CNATRA and its automatic...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Did anyone see that white blimp flying over Pensacola a few months ago? I figured it was some sort of weather blimp but I don't know. Didn't have any indicators on it.

I don't know what it was, but it was COVERED in antennas. Much to the dismay of ATC, I got an up close and personal look at it one afternoon. I'm guessing a DNR (or is it DEP now?) mission of some kind because they kept hanging out over the power plant....right on the ILS 17 FAC.

I think it's a cool idea but I don't know anything about it. Wouldn't the blimp be a sitting target? Couldn't the drug runners, smugglers etc just shoot it down?

Um, no. "Blimps" are providing plenty of coverage now and have been for years. The only real threat is weather.

fresh

Naval Aviator and Harrier Jock
pilot
slight threadjack.. but here are the wings of Indian Air force NFOs(or as they say'navigator') and flight engineer..... and yes they do get shit about it.. and yes we also dislike them as much(if not more) than ya'll.....

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• N-Wings-Old.jpg
    N-Wings-Old.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 389
  • E-Wings-New.jpg
    E-Wings-New.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 388

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Just the two Macon-class "aircraft carrier" dirigibles crashed, I believe. The Navy stayed in the blimp (non-rigid airships) business until the early '60's.

Here you go, complete list of Navy LTA. Last Navy blimp was the ZPG-3W, retired 30 NOV 1961.

All 5 of the dirigibles the US Navy used crashed at least once. Four of them burned and were not salvageable. Only one survived her navy career in tact, and she had more than he fare share of mishaps.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I'd fly it for a B billet! Airline jobs are waning anyway, but they still need a blimp pilot for every major sporting event.

I've probably told this story even on AW before, but oh well.

We were doing the recce for a fly by at a college football game. At the little class E airport we were landing our 4 tac jets at (which was just terrifying, by the way, as a cessna climbed out below our division. Moron. We only made calls every 2 miles from 15 in) was stationed the blimb that was covering the game. It was parked there and there appeared to be a small crew around it. Watching us....watching them.

Later we heard that in every jet the conversation was "It'd be cool to fly one of those" about the blimp. I don't find it hard to believe that they were having a similar conversation on the ground by the blimp. Thinking about that always makes me laugh.

My only reservations about taking the blimp B billet would be the instructors. "Back in my day we flew REAL blimps. These modern day POS things, they are tiny! No legs! And all these stupid radios....."

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
slight threadjack.. but here are the wings of Indian Air force NFOs(or as they say'navigator') and flight engineer..... and yes they do get shit about it.. and yes we also dislike them as much(if not more) than ya'll.....
An Indian dude saying "y'all." You, sir, have been in the South too long.