• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary selection joke gets taken too far . . .

nvrg1vup

Thank god there's no glass bottom. I'd be saying, "dude there's your house" and the response "I don't live at the quickie-mart" would get me ejected fo sho'.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
All 5 of the dirigibles the US Navy used crashed at least once. Four of them burned and were not salvageable. Only one survived her navy career in tact, and she had more than he fare share of mishaps.
That must be because NATOPS did not exist.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The blimp was from the EPA. They were measuring the air quality from the power plant.

Huh, well I was close. Regardless, they were a pain in the ass when the wind was from the East.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Huh, well I was close. Regardless, they were a pain in the ass when the wind was from the East.

So was the Random ass balloon that was parked over our initial point in Las Cruces.... mix that in with the UAVs and random ass gyrocopter taking off on taxiways without radio calls....that was an interesting couple days...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So was the Random ass balloon that was parked over our initial point in Las Cruces.... mix that in with the UAVs and random ass gyrocopter taking off on taxiways without radio calls....that was an interesting couple days...

When I was out there the gyrocopter (pronounced "yearo-copter") wasn't too big an issue, it was the medevac twin and one particular pilot that would make her traffic calls from what seemed like El Paso, and then continued to make her calls every mile thereafter, making sure EVERYONE knew that she had a critical patient onboard. We got it. We'll move when you get into the same county, now be quiet so the rest of us can talk.

So was the balloon over that bridge thingy next to the town? I guess that's as good a place as any.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
When I was out there the gyrocopter (pronounced "yearo-copter") wasn't too big an issue, it was the medevac twin and one particular pilot that would make her traffic calls from what seemed like El Paso, and then continued to make her calls every mile thereafter, making sure EVERYONE knew that she had a critical patient onboard. We got it. We'll move when you get into the same county, now be quiet so the rest of us can talk.

So was the balloon over that bridge thingy next to the town? I guess that's as good a place as any.

Well I just remember one day in the fabulous airport diner hearing about the "Yearo-copter" taking off of the damn taxiway while T-34s were buzzing about. People were NOT amused. Civilian pilots also sucked quite a bit.

The Balloon was parked over IP East (ya, the bridge by the 10).

And if you could make an aircraft out of Lamb meat, that would be fantastic! And delicious! :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well I just remember one day in the fabulous airport diner hearing about the "Yearo-copter" taking off of the damn taxiway while T-34s were buzzing about. People were NOT amused. Civilian pilots also sucked quite a bit.

Hey, it's legal. I think part of the lack of amusement was the people involved. Gyrocopter ops on another runway/taxiway is a daily occurrence at Brewton. My personal WTF moment was at Baron when a Tigermoth flew through the pattern. Yeah, I said Tigermoth. I wondered if he noticed the T-34 rolling through a 90 degree AOB about 200 feet above him.

Renegade One

None
LTA Naval Flight Officer Story...

TINS. When I checked into my first fleet F-4 squadron in 1972, the XO was one of the first NFOs to have been selected for operational VF command. But back in his JO days, he'd started out flying as what was then called a NAO (Naval Aviation Observer...the old "toilet seat"-style wings) on the Atlantic Fleet Barrier Patrol in ZPG-3W blimps. So he was an ASW guy. Had one month in his logbook that consisted of 96 hours flight time, but in only 2 sorties. AND...the NAOs only "logged time" when they were actually "on the system". Whenever they were asleep, or eating, or "off watch", they weren't logging time. Must have been some monster sorties. Anyway, I always chuckle when I think about the long and winding road that the early NFOs had to take to make this community. Of course, he took no end of shit from the rest of us for having all that blimp time in his record. Good guy, though.
V/R, Spike

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
That'd be awesome! Think how fast you could rack up flight time! That guy would have been on track for a 1200 hour year! I wonder what the airlines would think about ex-blimp pilots...

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I bet the CRM would be tougher ;) hell you're with another guy for a very long time. SA issues and all, but hell..if you have a blimp mid-air ...that would be an interesting FNAEB

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
I grew up watching this one:

3227583.jpg
Sorry but when I think of Adam West now this is all I can picture:

adamwest_tn.jpg

"I love this job more than I love taffy ... and I'm a man who enjoys his taffy."