• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary selection joke gets taken too far . . .

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I bet the CRM would be tougher ;) hell you're with another guy for a very long time. SA issues and all, but hell..if you have a blimp mid-air ...that would be an interesting FNAEB
What if they just bounced off each other?:icon_tong

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
There are only two problems I see with adding blimps to the selection list after primary:
1. The logistics of modifying API to include the aerodynamics of LTA aircraft.
2. The fact that CRM would be limited to traffic calls that were not a factor.
3. The ASO would spend more time deciding if "Land As Soon as Practical" was even a logical statement than he would examining the safest way to get to the runway when a taxiway was closed.

On the plus side, think of how few EPs the pilots would have to memorize.

I could see the Navy/Coast Guard having a couple of these things. It makes sense to me. However, I don't see the Navy/Coast Guard training their own pilots for just 2 or 3 of these things. They'd probably hire contract pilots.

There are only two problems I see with adding blimps to the selection list after primary:
1. The logistics of modifying API to include the aerodynamics of LTA aircraft.
2. The fact that CRM would be limited to traffic calls that were not a factor.
3. The ASO would spend more time deciding if "Land As Soon as Practical" was even a logical statement than he would examining the safest way to get to the runway when a taxiway was closed.

On the plus side, think of how few EPs the pilots would have to memorize.

I'm no math teacher, but... :D

Technically, it could be like: 0 -1 -1 -1 +1 = -2

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
STUPID engineers...always starting with 0 when counting..

At the engineering building at OU...the first room is Room 0. Douchebags....

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
LTA makes sense for AEW, ISR/Surveillance and ASW, as long as it's an unopposed environment. Those jobs are all about loiter time. Think about what it would add to the fight if you could park a blimp with FLIR, MIDS and suchlike above Baghdad or Ramadi for a few days at a time.

Sandstorms would be interesting, though...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sandstorms would be interesting, though...

Not much different than mean Caribbean storms, which may cause temporary interruptions in service, but still don't preclude lots of airspace being tracked for years now.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
"...propelled by two Porsche 930 engines..."

Hey!! Don't knock it!! This may be the closest many of you get to drivin' one of those ... :D
I think I read somewhere that blimp pilots refused to wear the half-wings, even though they were the "official" wings, and wore the same wings as everybody else.
My NROTC XO wore his "official" BLIMP Wings proudly on his dress blues each and every day of the week.

And he was disgruntled ... make that very disgruntled. :)

phrogpilot73

Later we heard that in every jet the conversation was "It'd be cool to fly one of those" about the blimp. I don't find it hard to believe that they were having a similar conversation on the ground by the blimp. Thinking about that always makes me laugh.
I don't know why it'd make you laugh - makes perfect sense to me. Yes, I love the Phrog - but there's a SLEW of aircraft (a.k.a. anything that leaves the ground) that I'd love to fly. I'd be willing to bet most pilots are the same way.