• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Wow! 200 knots would rattle the Griz-O-Copter to pieces!

When we leveled out as I was joining the RNAV, I saw I didn't have my power all the way up in the descent, which was disappointing. I'm not sure if it would have given me the extra 8 knots, but it would have helped. Maybe that and bumping the VS up a little more would have done it.

Oh well. It was still a personal best in model.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
When we leveled out as I was joining the RNAV, I saw I didn't have my power all the way up in the descent, which was disappointing. I'm not sure if it would have given me the extra 8 knots, but it would have helped. Maybe that and bumping the VS up a little more would have done it.

Oh well. It was still a personal best in model.
190 personal best in a Turbo C-206 with tailwind. That kind of performance in a helo is amazing - but you are probably doing it at ~50+ gal/hour of Jet A where as I was doing that on 16 gal per hour of AVGAS.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
190 personal best in a Turbo C-206 with tailwind. That kind of performance in a helo is amazing - but you are probably doing it at ~50+ gal/hour of Jet A where as I was doing that on 16 gal per hour of AVGAS.

Indeed. You can see the ICAO wind bug in the pic too to see the help I was getting.

I think my personal best in my Tiger was 186 knots over the Laguna's in San Diego while surfing a mountain wave on my way to Prescott. I have a picture of it somewhere. That was probably at 9.5 gal/hour. Sadly it didn't last and I had to settle for only 150 knots.

Edit: Found it!

52653466327_ca50ca5ac5_b.jpg

skybert

Skybert
Ferried a 310 today that a skydiver decided to land on a couple months ago….. had to wait for a VFR day on tne winter shores of Lake Michigan…..

Attachments

• B4A92CDA-0CCD-460D-A73F-9F26BB6EE098.jpeg
    B4A92CDA-0CCD-460D-A73F-9F26BB6EE098.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 3A10A0DC-24B2-4D11-A9C3-A249087C4FB0.jpeg
    3A10A0DC-24B2-4D11-A9C3-A249087C4FB0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • AC4BAB2F-D44C-4BE2-B043-CEAD7F0C85F4.jpeg
    AC4BAB2F-D44C-4BE2-B043-CEAD7F0C85F4.jpeg
    515.4 KB · Views: 15
  • DDAF299B-ED58-47AB-AA45-D382AD0EC306.jpeg
    DDAF299B-ED58-47AB-AA45-D382AD0EC306.jpeg
    462.9 KB · Views: 15

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Ferried a 310 today that a skydiver decided to land on a couple months ago….. had to wait for a VFR day on tne winter shores of Lake Michigan…..
I hope the airplane was on the ground when the skydiver hit it!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
What are you doing manhandling a single engine Cessna with two hands? Nice landing, but was that really necessary?
Fair point haha. Ergos on this airplane are not ideal - and flown well, constant throttle adjustment is rarely required. So I get lazy and "set it and forget it".

Short field approach - flaps full and 62 kias until obstacle cleared, then power to idle and finish approach at 60 kias. Touchdown with no-float, slightly firm (in the landing attitude, off the flimsy nosewheel strut). Flaps up after touchdown, yoke back and firm braking. ?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Flaps up after touchdown,

I've heard that before, but I never really understood the science behind it. Is it that you're reducing lift, and therefore increasing weight on the wheels, which impart more friction and slow you down "faster?" I would think it would depend on the plane and where the increased drag cross-section would be outweighed by the increased weight. For a Cessna, I could see the flaps providing quite a bit of lift (or lack thereof when brought up).

I've heard the same thing for my plane, but I'm not sure if that was a Cessna carry over by someone. The flaps don't really increase lift much (only about 2 knots change in stall speed), and are more for adjusting approach angle. They do act as spoilers, though, so it makes me wonder if it's better to leave them down. I end up doing just that, but not because of any proven science.

Calling @sevenhelmet or @IKE

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I've heard that before, but I never really understood the science behind it. Is it that you're reducing lift, and therefore increasing weight on the wheels, which impart more friction and slow you down "faster?" I would think it would depend on the plane and where the increased drag cross-section would be outweighed by the increased weight. For a Cessna, I could see the flaps providing quite a bit of lift (or lack thereof when brought up).

I've heard the same thing for my plane, but I'm not sure if that was a Cessna carry over by someone. The flaps don't really increase lift much (only about 2 knots change in stall speed), and are more for adjusting approach angle. They do act as spoilers, though, so it makes me wonder if it's better to leave them down. I end up doing just that, but not because of any proven science.

Calling @sevenhelmet or @IKE

The reason for flaps up in the case @ChuckMK23 mentions is to increase weight on wheels, resulting in better braking effectiveness- a common performance landing technique in small aircraft. Often times pilots will also raise flaps on a touch and go, to reduce drag during the subsequent acceleration and climb out. Of note, raising flaps during the ground roll will not have a significant effect on rolling resistance of the wheels.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Fair point haha. Ergos on this airplane are not ideal - and flown well, constant throttle adjustment is rarely required. So I get lazy and "set it and forget it".

Short field approach - flaps full and 62 kias until obstacle cleared, then power to idle and finish approach at 60 kias. Touchdown with no-float, slightly firm (in the landing attitude, off the flimsy nosewheel strut). Flaps up after touchdown, yoke back and firm braking. ?

Not too long ago I got to fly a “single lever” turbo-diesel Cessna with a PCL that basically went from “Idle” to “Fly.” It was really sweet when it came to take off and landing. Just back the throttle down a little to set your speed and you are set. The guy showing me had a blue line on his PCL for landing and if you put it there with the right flaps your engine work was done for landing (unless you needed a go around…then just add power). If I remember correctly a FADEC did all the brain work to include prop pitch and so on.