• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
One of the 53 Squadrons out of New River was out at KCOS doing some mountain flying - my colleagues seized the opportunity to arrange a tour and an orientation flight for CAP Cadets in Colorado! Same for Army Guard 47's and H-60's. Cadets had a great time. Unlike the AF which had to go up the chain, the Marine HAC on the ground there at COS just needed to say "yes!"

1675874944806.png

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For anyone that does not know the reputation of the Phoenix Open, this is what it is like...every day... all day... and even into the night (The Birds Nest). Good gig to work with the SW Chapter of the AAHF.
Phx open .jpg
UH-1M gunship. Five years in combat, multiple shoot downs. No KIAs to aircrew.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
For anyone that does not know the reputation of the Phoenix Open, this is what it is like...every day... all day... and even into the night (The Birds Nest). Good gig to work with the SW Chapter of the AAHF.
View attachment 37560
M's were converted C's and I believe went on to serve on NATO Eastern Frontier after Vietnam. Big motors. (on the aircraft and of course the picture). Same engine and transmission that Navy HH-1K's had flying with HAL-4 and HAL-5 into the late 1980's.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
View attachment 37560
Was Dillon Aero there?
I got to shoot the hell out of some cars in their MD-500 9 years ago

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
View attachment 37560

Who’s that girl?

Do you think she’d be interested in a mad dog action figure?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
M's were converted C's and I believe went on to serve on NATO Eastern Frontier after Vietnam. Big motors. (on the aircraft and of course the picture). Same engine and transmission that Navy HH-1K's had flying with HAL-4 and HAL-5 into the late 1980's.
Yes sir. Also got a new rotor system, as I recall, and the tail was scalloped on the M.

Here is some Army aviation trivia. From which model was the AH-1F converted from? The "S", of course. Production started with the G model, there were a few Qs prototyping the new TOW installation, then the S and finally the F. Along the way they added some descriptors to the model. There was MOD, PROD, ECAS, maybe more. So one day you flew a AH-1S MOD, and the next day maybe a AH-1S ECAS. Next time you think twice about how we got the CMV-22B consider the Cobra.

skybert

Skybert
View attachment 37560
After I got off active duty in’84, I was a crew chief on M’s in the Michigan guard, all viet nam vets, converted. As were most of the guys in the cav unit. Loved flying NOE with the doors open :)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was Dillon Aero there?
I got to shoot the hell out of some cars in their MD-500 9 years ago
A Dillon mini gun shoot is awesome. I have never done one myself. How did you swing it?

Dillon is not at the Open. They do make some events we also appear at. Dillon himself is very supportive of us. Their chief pilot is a good dude. Retired from the AF having flown figjters and helos.

Notanaviator

Contributor
View attachment 37560
Nice cannons. I mean rockets. Nice rockets. On the helicopter.