• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
I know the Bravo retired in 2015, but maybe let's not post NATOPS excerpts on public forums.
Meh. Some dick hadn’t plastered CUI all over it back then :D

Now, if the ITAR police want to come get Chuck for Dist. D violations over sharing our nation’s closely guarded secrets about starting engines via APU or crossbleed, I’ll gladly grab my popcorn and watch.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Mona Shores? I've got a lot of family up there. They live right next to Mona Shores High School. Didn't know you are a Western Michigan kind of guy!

There's also a brewery next to the HS called "The Salty Pecker". Cool spot.
It was a while ago. My sister graduated from Mona Shores HS and heads there to visit friends every now and then…even mentioned the Salty Pecker (I guess she meant the brewery).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I did test the battery only start once when my APU Gen died but the app was still working.

Huh, I didn't know that would work. I would have thought the battery wouldn't have enough power for the exciter. Did you then put the Gens on for the second start?

There were occasional situations when trying to start an engine that pressing the button on the Speed Control Lever(SCL) while the SCL was in the Off position it wouldn't make the mechanical contact to engage the starter.

Ah, yeah, so same issue with the -60. I never learned the pen trick. I'm not sure if it would work, but it's possible. It was very common to have to giggle the PCL while holding down the starter button to get it to stay on, though.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Ah, yeah, so same issue with the -60. I never learned the pen trick. I'm not sure if it would work, but it's possible. It was very common to have to giggle the PCL while holding down the starter button to get it to stay on, though.
It wasn't a normal process, but it was good knowledge to get a motor started if you needed to. You'd MAF it and post-flight, a maintainer would slightly bend something to make the starter button make contact with the switch.

The -53 also had an HF radio that was never used while I was in, and had a huge antenna on the fuselage. The joke was that some of the old-timers claimed they could talk to Jesus with it. 😆

Did the -60 have an HF radio?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
You guys need to start a piston helicopter…like starting a 1957 International Harvester tractor including the wump, wump, wump…chung, chug, chug, grrrraaammmppphh, roar…idle.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
You guys need to start a piston helicopter…like starting a 1957 International Harvester tractor including the wump, wump, wump…chung, chug, chug, grrrraaammmppphh, roar…idle.
Reminds me of one of the radial engine Kamov coaxial helos used for AG spraying in eastern Europe...

There are videos of these things being resurrected from storage in a barn, and cranked up and blades attached and tracked with the crudest of farm tools!

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Didn't start it up, but had a chance to be a copilot and fly an H-34 out and back down the New River...It was a Vietnam Vet org that maintained the bird.

Had to turn over the controls on final bc I had no experience with a dual twist grip on an ungoverened engine. This was circa 2008. I didn't have the requisite monkey skills.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Didn't start it up, but had a chance to be a copilot and fly an H-34 out and back down the New River...It was a Vietnam Vet org that maintained the bird.

Had to turn over the controls on final bc I had no experience with a dual twist grip on an ungoverened engine. This was circa 2008. I didn't have the requisite monkey skills.
I would love that opportunity!

hscs

pilot
Huh, I didn't know that would work. I would have thought the battery wouldn't have enough power for the exciter. Did you then put the Gens on for the second start?
Battery has enough for the exciter and to open the appropriate valves in the bleed air system to get the compressor section moving. You have to use your ears to tell you when to go to idle and when the starter drops out. Then you run up #1, use your ears to tell you that you are at 100%, put on both gens, and start #2.