• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Ha. Hahahaha. Uhhhh...no. It was a very weird time in the squadron.
I just realized that I didn't post an appropriate emoji...that I was being facetious. Hope you took it that way.

I had a CO, who was a known liberty risk, address the RR after changing command, say that he might have a CoC without a band, and that he didn't give a shit (basically).

On the first training det of his command to Bridgeport, CA., he called all the O's and E's together prior to a weekend night of liberty. We were expecting wise words from the skipper...instead, basically he said everyone grab a roadie...we're going to town...it was the craziest det I'd ever been on, and he was eventually relieved of command prior to the band showing up. 😆

It was the kind of det that the XO had to call all JO's into the office, and do major damage control with the local bar owners.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
OK so H-60 themed Convo around the fire pit last night at Oshkosh that @hscs and @Gatordev would find interesting. Drinking beers with Army Guard UH-60 dude who has a day job flying Restricted Category Part Restricted Category Part 137 UH-60A - which is basically on non stop ops either fighting fires or doing electrical grid/ski lift installation/firefighting. Was in final interview for CalFire S-70i PIC Firehawk position - which - get this - is single pilot PIC - with CalFire fire coordinator/non-pilot in the other seat (left). Interesting!! Pay for Cal Fire is north of $250K ...

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
OK so H-60 themed Convo around the fire pit last night at Oshkosh that @hscs and @Gatordev would find interesting. Drinking beers with Army Guard UH-60 dude who has a day job flying Restricted Category Part Restricted Category Part 137 UH-60A - which is basically on non stop ops either fighting fires or doing electrical grid/ski lift installation/firefighting. Was in final interview for CalFire S-70i PIC Firehawk position - which - get this - is single pilot PIC - with CalFire fire coordinator/non-pilot in the other seat (left). Interesting!! Pay for Cal Fire is north of $250K ...
Army & Navy Hawks can be single-piloted, but just for orientation flights and the weird stuff we do at Pax River. Methinks it's more a military requirement than something in the FAA rules/type cert.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
An airplane went down couple miles from field on opening day. tragic start,

ChuckMK23

pilot
An airplane went down couple miles from field on opening day. tragic start,
Lance Air. I had just shutdown on South 40 and was tying down plane when mishap occurred. P-51 Old Crow was in the break at the same time the mishap aircraft went in.

We honestly first thought it was a building fire or vehicle accident...

hscs

pilot
Army & Navy Hawks can be single-piloted, but just for orientation flights and the weird stuff we do at Pax River. Methinks it's more a military requirement than something in the FAA rules/type cert.
There are times I feel single piloted. Does that count?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Was in final interview for CalFire S-70i PIC Firehawk position - which - get this - is single pilot PIC - with CalFire fire coordinator/non-pilot in the other seat (left). Interesting!! Pay for Cal Fire is north of $250K ...

I worked with a guy that got picked up with CalFire a couple of years ago. I believe @insanebikerboy was at he same squadron with him at some point. He said it took a while and more than one attempt. I'm assuming he's still there now, since that was his long-term, post-Navy goal. While good money, keep in mind that $250K in CA isn't the same $250K that we'd make in our locations.

With the exception of the PCLs for a cut-gun and reaching the breakers on the co-pilot side, there really isn't much you can't do single-pilot on the -60. I don't know where the A-model SAS/BOOST button is, but it can't be any less convenient than the Seahawk positions, and it's still reachable while leaning on the collective in those.

ChuckMK23

pilot
in the Vans RV display area at OSH, ran into a builder showing off his newly completed RV-10. The aircraft was adorned with pictures of a P-8, E-2, P-3, Super Hornet, etc. Also Navy Single Anchor Wings along the bottom of the wing and fuselage as well as top of each wing!

Turns out its dad to 4 Naval Aviator sons... - a nice tribute

PXL_20240722_200241849.MP.jpg

PXL_20240722_200504162.MP.jpeg

TacticalTater

None
in the Vans RV display area at OSH, ran into a builder showing off his newly completed RV-10. The aircraft was adorned with pictures of a P-8, E-2, P-3, Super Hornet, etc. Also Navy Single Anchor Wings along the bottom of the wing and fuselage as well as top of each wing!

Turns out its dad to 4 Naval Aviator sons... - a nice tribute

View attachment 40915

View attachment 40916

So does that finally answer the "what percentage get jets" question?
In that family it's 25%

😁