• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Who starts a helicopter manually? What is this, the Dark Ages? Next you're going to tell us to pump the accelerator in our cars before turning a "key."

hscs

pilot
Who starts a helicopter manually? What is this, the Dark Ages? Next you're going to tell us to pump the accelerator in our cars before turning a "key."
well, compared to most modern engines that start on their own - doing the whole 14 in 6, below 80 coming to idle, etc......is kind of like starting a helo manually.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
well, compared to most modern engines that start on their own - doing the whole 14 in 6, below 80 coming to idle, etc......is kind of like starting a helo manually.

I agree. It's quite pedestrian. I live a much more civilized life now.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm not sure what that is.

@hscs can correct me if I misunderstood, but I was told by former HS guys in one of my squadrons that the Foxtrot could do a Huffer start.

It was never a thing in the Bravo NATOPs since back then, they usually wouldn't be co-located with a F-14.

hscs

pilot

@hscs can correct me if I misunderstood, but I was told by former HS guys in one of my squadrons that the Foxtrot could do a Huffer start.

It was never a thing in the Bravo NATOPs since back then, they usually wouldn't be co-located with a F-14.
Yes, you could do a buffer start. Don’t know anyone who did though. I did test the battery only start once when my APU Gen died but the app was still working.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor

I thought the Sikorsky design might carry over, but I guess not.

There were occasional situations when trying to start an engine that pressing the button on the Speed Control Lever(SCL) while the SCL was in the Off position it wouldn't make the mechanical contact to engage the starter.

It wasn't like a big deal, but if you'd never been taught, it was magic. Boot HACs wouldn't make it out of the ramp.

You'd crack the SCL a bit off the Off position, and stick a pen from your left arm pocket to to engage the switch. Once it got got to 20 pct Ng, you'd move the SCL to ground idle, and remove the pen. Obviously, then MAF it after the flight. It was not a procedure in NATOPS, but I guess wasn't prohibited...

I thought maybe it was a ubiquitous Sikorsky thing, but sounds like a -53 thing.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Yes, you could do a buffer start. Don’t know anyone who did though. I did test the battery only start once when my APU Gen died but the app was still working.
So that's where that particular scenario came from on my HAC board

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The Bravo NATOPS makes mention of a pneumatic cross-bleed start capability - I'm guessing the Foxtrot has a place to couple a pneumatic line to an engine (similar to the CF34 motor on regional jets). Get it turning and you are in business as long as you have battery power? (or engine driven alternator sufficient?)

1721410625392.png

Last edited:

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
The Bravo NATOPS makes mention of a pneumatic cross-bleed start capability - I'm guessing the Foxtrot has a place to couple a pneumatic line to an engine (similar to the CF34 motor on regional jets). Get it turning and you are in business as long as you have battery power? (or engine driven alternator sufficient?)

View attachment 40900
I know the Bravo retired in 2015, but maybe let's not post NATOPS excerpts on public forums.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
When I was a kid I lived just north of there in a town called Mona Shores (not far from Muskegon Airport).

Mona Shores? I've got a lot of family up there. They live right next to Mona Shores High School. Didn't know you are a Western Michigan kind of guy!

There's also a brewery next to the HS called "The Salty Pecker". Cool spot.

skybert

Skybert
Mona Shores? I've got a lot of family up there. They live right next to Mona Shores High School. Didn't know you are a Western Michigan kind of guy!

There's also a brewery next to the HS called "The Salty Pecker". Cool spot.
Let’s get together?