• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
There's already video of it lifting off to RTB. Let's hope the HAC made the right call. That sorta stuff is more complicated over there.

Now I don't feel so bad about leaving a sonobuoy in a farmer's field 13 years ago.
Don’t worry, he found a way to make a profit…

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Former HMX-1 Phrog, in deep preservation for over 15 years, ground turns and flies this weekend after only minor fluid changes, new battery, fresh fuel, and charging the APU hyd accumulator. Sold to private party.

View attachment 40968
There are a good number of -46’s coming up for sale. I’d love to give one a turn.

number9

Contributor
Staying with my in-laws who live close to KVMY and very close to 1B2, so I thought I'd pick up a cheap ADS-B radio and antenna to see what's out there. It's running on a Raspberry Pi 4 and if you're curious my ADSB-Exchange feed is here.

I mostly did this for funsies, as relatively speaking KBOS is not that far away so it's highly doubtful I'm capturing aircraft that other people aren't seeing.

Last edited:

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Great question - I do not know. I'm also curious on the FAA paperwork path to a Restricted or Experimental airworthiness certificate. I am asking around.
Columbia Helicopters and Piasecki Aircraft Corporation have joined forces to rebuild a number of -46 birds as 107B-III models. Better engine, more lift at the hook, and an all glass cockpit. It will cost less than a Puma. Several nations have shown an interest.

hscs

pilot
Columbia Helicopters and Piasecki Aircraft Corporation have joined forces to rebuild a number of -46 birds as 107B-III models. Better engine, more lift at the hook, and an all glass cockpit. It will cost less than a Puma. Several nations have shown an interest.
Will be ironic if contract VERTREP starts flying rehab’d-46s

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Today is Foreflight Release day - ver 16.7. One of the nice improvements in this release is a FMS style keyboard for both text and numbers (coordinates) that will make life much easier if you are plotting SAR patterns, LL routes, etc.

Foreflight is simply awesome at this point and their approach to updates - gradually change the product for the better in frequent small, iterative steps - is their super power. Jepp hopefully will see the light in this approach and FD Pro will go this way- For now, even though Boeing owns both products, FD Pro is managed by a separate team.

Fly an aircraft with stars-and-bars and don't have Foreflight Military Flight Bag? Beat on your unit CO and ask why the hell not!

blog1.jpg

blog-2-1.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Can you input coords like a normal human does or do you still have to put it in with the weird Foreflight notation? It's pretty rare I need to put them in on the iPad, but occasionally it can be helpful to get a gnat's ass fuel load when I'm weight limited and I don't know where the LZ actually is, or when I need a "which is closer" answer and plugging stuff into the GPS flight plan takes too long.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Can you input coords like a normal human does or do you still have to put it in with the weird Foreflight notation? It's pretty rare I need to put them in on the iPad, but occasionally it can be helpful to get a gnat's ass fuel load when I'm weight limited and I don't know where the LZ actually is, or when I need a "which is closer" answer and plugging stuff into the GPS flight plan takes too long.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Didn't realize they had all of those options now. Maybe it's the reverse notation of the hemisphere that always messes me up. Every aircraft I've flown starts the coordinates with the hemisphere, so I'm not sure why FF didn't do it that way, especially when Garmin does it that way

Yes, I know some aircraft use negatives, I just haven't experienced that in the real world. Although after looking at that chart, I'm thinking entering it that way in FF is the most efficient. I'll have to remember that.