• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Roger Ball, good and not-so-good questions about the world of "Paddles"

blur

A-pool
well, this is a hi-jack of a hi-jack, of my own thread...but looking at that latest picture, aren't those guys hair-cuts non-regulation? Were regs different back then?

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
was that pre-beard navy of the 70's or post beard?

Flugelman

Contributor
well, this is a hi-jack of a hi-jack, of my own thread...but looking at that latest picture, aren't those guys hair-cuts non-regulation? Were regs different back then?

CNO Adm. Zumwalt relaxed the haircut/facial hair standards back in the day. Look at the aircraft in the background. An A-6, RA-5C, and F-4. I would guess the picture is from around 1972.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Is that definitely an RA-5C? Vigi's are some of the most aesthetic aircraft I've ever seen.

FastMover

NFO
None
Yep, that's a Vig (modex 602 above). Definitely a great looking airplane and also difficult to get aboard from what I've read.

Flugelman

Contributor
Is that definitely an RA-5C? Vigi's are some of the most aesthetic aircraft I've ever seen.

Yep. Look at the little window behind the cockpit (?? Am I allowed to say that??? :D) That's all the backseater had to look out. Keep 'em in the dark and ... etc etc

There's one on static display at Fallon. Was there just last week. I had forgotten just how big that sumbitch was.

brownshoe

Contributor
Yep. Look at the little window behind the cockpit (?? Am I allowed to say that??? :D) That's all the backseater had to look out. Keep 'em in the dark and ... etc etc

There's one on static display at Fallon. Was there just last week. I had forgotten just how big that sumbitch was.

Yep they were big! I hated working the deck when they were operating.

Steve

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
What's the rationale behind that? Safety?

They look caged down there...I can see how that could cramp their style.:eek::D

USS_Independence_%28CVA-62%29%2C_Landing_Signal_Officers.jpg

That's awesome, I'm loving the sideburns.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
even so, I have seen some pretty lax haircuts nowadays in the fleet on summer cruise(s).......then again, if you actually read the USN regs, you will see that you can get away with a lot technically speaking (compared to what us NROTC/Academy types are used to)

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
even so, I have seen some pretty lax haircuts nowadays in the fleet on summer cruise(s).......then again, if you actually read the USN regs, you will see that you can get away with a lot technically speaking (compared to what us NROTC/Academy types are used to)

And what USN regs would those be?

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
should we merge this with the bald is beautiful thread??

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
you can read 'em yourself, but I would say 2" on top (max length 4") with the caveat of "tapered and neat" is a lot more lenient than my unit would have been

I've seen a lot of "laxed" haircuts from MIDN/Academy types. At my ROTC unit we were held to the Navy reg standards, which don't seem very lax to me. They standards actually seem pretty detailed and strict, but to each their own.

http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/upd_CD/BUPERS/Unireg/Chapter2.PDF