• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scooters Forever (A-4 Skyhawk Tribute Thread)

FastMover

NFO
None
Reference purposes. Got some time off right now so I'm building a model.

Which kit are you building? Be sure to put up some pics of it when you get done.

I'm in the middle of building a Trumpeter 1/32 A-7 right now. I think I'm going to go with the 1972 VA-192 Golden Dragons markings.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...I'm in the middle of building a Trumpeter 1/32 A-7 right now. I think I'm going to go with the 1972 VA-192 Golden Dragons markings.
May I suggest an A-7 from VA-195, callsign "Chippy" instead ... i.e., the sister squadron of 192?? VA-195, a.k.a. "The Dambusters" was the better squadron of the two .... the CAG bird pictured here (darkly in a night launch in the foreground) -- was positively a headturner.

Plus ... the 1972 derogatorily nicknamed, "Golden Worms" (VA-192) had a HIGH percentage of assholes in the squadron. VA-195 was the photo negative as far as quality and attitude of the pilots assigned ...

Just my $20 worth. :):sleep_125

dsc019511kv7.jpg

photo by A4sF...

FastMover

NFO
None
May I suggest an A-7 from VA-195, callsign "Chippy" instead ... i.e., the sister squadron of 192?? VA-195, a.k.a. "The Dambusters" was the better squadron of the two .... the CAG bird pictured here (darkly in a night launch in the foreground) -- was positively a headturner.

Plus ... the 1972 derogatorily nicknamed, "Golden Worms" (VA-192) had a HIGH percentage of assholes in the squadron. VA-195 was the photo negative as far as quality and attitude of the pilots assigned ...

Just my $20 worth. :):sleep_125

dsc019511kv7.jpg

photo by A4sF...

I just searched high and low for a set of -195 decals in 1/32 and none turned up. However, I did find this little number from Hasegawa in 1/48.
hsg09465b.jpg

She'd look mighty nice sitting next to my VA-153 Scooter. Yet another one to add to the stash....

A4s, you wouldn't happen to know the pilot from -192 who had the misfortune of landing on the wrong carrier (IIRC USS Hancock) in NH311 would you? I've seen pics of the jet after the Hancock crew got ahold of it, and it wasn't pretty.

Rasczak

Marine
That goes along with a joke I read the other day.

Kid goes to join the military during WW2. Exhibits such great aptitude for flying that he skips boot and goes straight to flight school. Aces all his test and is ranked top pilot when he gets his wings. He gets deployed to the Pacific. On his first mission, he leaves the carrier, downs six Zeros and notices he's running a little low on fuel. He gets attacked by 2 more Zeros and takes em out. Running low on fuel, he sees the carrier below. He circles down and makes a perfect landing. Best landing anyone has ever seen. He jumps out of the plane and sees the captain. He says to him, "So how'd I do for my first day skipper?" Captain turns around and say, " You make one velly impotant mistake.."

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did this pilot receive a new callsign, much less keep his wings?

It's not a common happenstance, but it does happen once in awhile when carriers are operating in close proximity. We had three carriers (for a brief period) in the Red Sea during Desert Storm and were the only one operating the A-7 Corsair. A fairly senior A-7 pilot (LCDR) led his section into the break over the Saratoga when the carriers swapped positions early. Missions were routinely 4-5 hours or longer so fatigue may have kept him from noticing the flight deck chock full of Hornets and nary an A-7 in sight. Saratoga was at flight quarters and the LSOs saw him in the break and conferred with the Air Boss to make they still had the proper weight settings. The Air Boss decided to take him (it's quite a coup to "capture" another air wing's aircraft.....and decorate it) and the pilot, "Devo", never realized it was another class of carrier. he was simply focused on the ball. After trapping and clearing the LA, he finally spotted the Hornets and still didn't realize he was on the wrong carrier. He wondered what all the Sara Hornets were doing on the Kennedy. A quick scan confirmed that there were no CVW-3 AC aircraft in sight and every aircraft had CVW-17 AA tailcodes. He then looked up the freq for Sara's tower and checked in (hoping they'd shoot him). He eventually made his way back to Kennedy and got back to the war. At Foc'sle Follies following the "war", the CVW-17 CO made a surprise appearance and presented him with a one trap Sara patch (Centurion patch with zeroes removed). never heard whether he put it on his flight jacket.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
On the Gulf side of the war, where we were operating TR, Ranger, America and Midway all within a few miles of each, had one of our VS-24 S-3's try and trap on Midway. Hmmmm CVN-71, large, not smoking, Midway, lots of angle, smoke trail. Lucky for him he boltered IIRC it DID come up at focsle follies though ;)