• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scooters Forever (A-4 Skyhawk Tribute Thread)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Warning: Threadjack underway

Hmmmm CVN-71, large, not smoking, Midway, lots of angle, smoke trail. Lucky for him he boltered IIRC it DID come up at focsle follies though ;)

I've always wondered about that because that's happened off SOCAL more than once. I actually talked to a professor at Monterey who deals with decision-making under stress and turns out there is a linkage to folks under stress seeing (or not seeing) what they want to see or fear to see when stress is applied to a situation such as:

USAF F-15 pilots intercept helos in ONW and with fangs out, fail to ID them after visual pass as 2 USA MH-60 and shoot them down thinking they are Iraqi Hinds. They didn't see what was really there and saw what their brains initially lead to believe they would find: threat helos

CIC personnel aboard USS Stark watch an Iraqi Mirage F1 fly right at them on an attack profile an dnever go to GQ or realize what is occuring believing they are safe, but not seeing the clear indicators (Mirage F1 nightly Exocet attack against Iranians...ie if nose is pointed at you and closing, you are a target!). Stark takes 2 missiles without taking any defensive measures.

VF-74 F-14 pilot shoots down USAF RF-4 after hearing exercise raido call of "Warning Red, Weapons Free". This was after intercepting RF-4 on USAF tanker leaving no doubt it was a friendly aircraft. In a classic CRM scenario, he asked the RIO if he was supposed to shoot and the RIo responded "Yeah, go ahead and shoot em". In this case, the pilot wasn't seeing what the real situation was and the RIO wasn't seeing what the pilot was intending to do. Big surprise for the RIO when a Sidewinder went snaking off the aircraft and bigger surprise for RF-4 aircrew when they got smacked (they didn't know why their aircraft went out of control until debriefed on the Sara after being fished out of the water).

CIC on USS Vincennes tracks Iranian airliner on departure (climbing) at constant speed during surface engagement and concludes it is an Iranian fighter heading at them accelerating and descending on an attack profile. Vicennes takes out airliner after seeing something other than what is really happening.

USS Saratoga fires a Seasparrow into bridge of Turkish destroyer operating with CVBG. Much like the Tomcat intercept of the RF-4, everyone but the guy (PO) releasing the weapon knew it was an exercise. The PO misinterpreted the GQ drill as the real thing not seeing events as they really were while CIC did not realize or see that he was repsonding as if he thought the carrier was under attack.

Then there are the electronic versions of this same phenomena when Patriot missile batteries take out a F/A-18 and Tornado due to firing mode selected and humans being absent from console not seeing what their HAL coputer is about to do.

In all of above, there was stress present that influenced the actions of those involved. The folks at Post Graduate (PG) School have developed some exercises in which they apply stress and information to show that decisions can be made that aren't correct based on the stress and preconditioning. Landing on the wrong carrier while ignoring seemingly obvious clues falls in same category as the incidents above.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I've always wndered about that because that's happened off SOCAL more than once. I actually talked to a professor at Monterey who deals with decision-making under stress and turns out there is a linkage to folks under stress seeing (or not seeing) what they want to see or fear to see when stress is applied to a situation such as:

USAF F-15 pilots intercept helos in ONW and with fangs out, fail to ID them after visual pass as 2 USA MH-60 and shoot them down thinking they are Iraqi Hinds. They didn't see what was really there and saw what their brains initially lead to believe they would find: threat helos

CIC personnel aboard USS Stark watch an Iraqi Mirage F1 fly right at them on an attack profile an dnever go to GQ or realize what is occuring believing they are safe, but not seeing the clear indicators (Mirage F1 nightly Exocet attack against Iranians...ie if nose is pointed at you and closing, you are a target!). Stark takes 2 missiles without taking any defensive measures.

VF-74 F-14 pilot shoots down USAF RF-4 after hearing exercise raido call of "Warning Red, Weapons Free". This was after intercepting RF-4 on USAF tanker leaving no doubt it was a friendly aircraft. In a classic CRM scenario, he asked the RIO if he was supposed to shoot and the RIo responded "Yeah, go ahead and shoot em". In this case, the pilot wasn't seeing what the real situation was and the RIO wasn't seeing what the pilot was intending to do. Big surprise for the RIO when a Sidewinder went snaking off the aircraft and bigger surprise for RF-4 aircrew when they got smacked (they didn't know why their aircraft went out of control until debriefed on the Sara after being fished out of the water).

CIC on USS Vincennes tracks Iranian airliner on departure (climbing) at constant speed during surface engagement and concludes it is an Iranian fighter heading at them accelerating and descending on an attack profile. Vicennes takes out airliner after seeing something other than what is really happening.

USS Saratoga fires a Seasparrow into bridge of Turkish destroyer operating with CVBG. Much like the Tomcat intercept of the RF-4, everyone but the guy (PO) releasing the weapon knew it was an exercise. The PO misinterpreted the GQ drill as the real thing not seeing events as they really were while CIC did not realize or see that he was repsonding as if he thought the carrier was under attack.

Then there are the electronic versions of this same phenomena when Patriot missile batteries take out a F/A-18 and Tornado due to firing mode selected and humans being absent from console not seeing what their HAL coputer is about to do.

In all of above, there was stress present that influenced the actions of those involved. The folks at Post Graduate (PG) School have developed some exercises in which they apply stress and information to show that decisions can be made that aren't correct based on the stress and preconditioning. Landing on the wrong carrier while ignoring seemingly obvious clues falls in same category as the incidents above.
Are those situations called expectancy? Reminds me of the 2 747's in the Tenerife disaster. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_disaster

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are those situations called expectancy? Reminds me of the 2 747's in the Tenerife disaster. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_disaster

Most Expectancy Theory "pundits" are motivational experts who try to create conditions that influence individuals to act a certain way via motivation for a certain outcome. I've talked to quite a few behavioral experts in attempt to home in on why military personnel react to stress and see (or don't see) the situation for what it really is (or isn't). Dr Miller at NPGS was only one who really had an interest and was working on it as part of classroom work.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
My P-3 was involved in this one and there is a lot more to it. In fact, I was an ESM player that provided some info to Robo Cruiser during the engagement. To this day, despite the conflicting info flying around the radios, I think taking the shot was the right call. Plus some of the stuff I saw floating on the water after makes me wonder about the Airbus. I can't really say any more because I don't know about current classification levels. I will say, as someone involved and throughly debriefed as part of the investigation, there is a a lot of stuff that never made the final reports. (Same situation with the USS Roberts hitting the mine - as someone there, it should never had happened and the reports left a lot out).

There were other incidents were Vincennes tried to overstep her bounds (hence the nickname Robo Cruiser), but this wasn't one of them.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My P-3 was involved in this one and there is a lot more to it. In fact, I was an ESM player that provided some info to Robo Cruiser during the engagement. To this day, despite the conflicting info flying around the radios, I think taking the shot was the right call. Plus some of the stuff I saw floating on the water after makes me wonder about the Airbus. I can't really say any more because I don't know about current classification levels. I will say, as someone involved and throughly debriefed as part of the investigation, there is a a lot of stuff that never made the final reports. (Same situation with the USS Roberts hitting the mine - as someone there, it should never had happened and the reports left a lot out).

There were other incidents were Vincennes tried to overstep her bounds (hence the nickname Robo Cruiser), but this wasn't one of them.

I stuck with unclassified inputs...maybe it was unfortunate coincidence at play or nefarious intent. Hard to tell using open source narratives.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've always wondered about that because that's happened off SOCAL more than once. I actually talked to a professor at Monterey who deals with decision-making under stress and turns out there is a linkage to folks under stress seeing (or not seeing) what they want to see or fear to see when stress is applied to a situation such as...
Over the many years when I have seen good people make stupid mistakes….and I wonder, "what were you thinking?" or "Didn't you see or hear…?" - I keep hearing in my head the old Simon & Garfunkel, Boxer refrain –

"… still the man hears [or sees] what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest . . ."

For me, this has helped to explain a lot of illogical action.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Last mass gaggle of VF-43 A-4s in 1992 (enorute to flyover of USNA)

VF-43airborne.jpg
[/IMG]

Photo from F-16N by HJ

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
old Simon & Garfunkel, Boxer refrain –
"… still the man hears [or sees] what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest . . ."

....For me, this has helped to explain a lot of illogical action.
I have found that squeezin' limes has the same effect on me .... :) ... plus, it works mo' bettah in the Tropics ... :icon_wink

maitaird1.jpg

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have found that squeezin' limes has the same effect on me .... :) ... plus, it works mo' bettah in the Tropics ... :icon_wink

maitaird1.jpg
Those look good.... and its a darn good thing I don't see some wimpy "umbrella" sticking out of them. :D