• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ship Photo of the Day

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think the Ausies used Flower class.

Bathurst-class then? Or an RNZN Flower-class? Definitely very workman-like in appearance like a WWII corvette, well-worn too. Did the job though, and that is what counted.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The reason I excluded RAN corvettes is that most appear to have davits hanging off the fantail that I don’t see in the image. Of course, they could have been removed.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Bathurst-class then?
Different depth charge racks, according to pictures. Maybe some mobilized trawler, there were several in RAN service. But the place of AA gunsight and positioning of the aft ventilation trunk both are in favor of Flower-class

Last edited:

number9

Contributor
Duh. @Randy Daytona hit the nail on the head…

Thanks for all the replies, guys, this discussion has been wonderful. I reached out to the Navy History folks; we'll see what they say. I also pinged the N-Class Destroyers Association of W.A. group on Facebook, but no luck there yet.

I managed to track down a digital copy of another photo of his. (I'm still missing one photo, which is two ships refueling.) Can anyone make out the class of ships I'm looking at?

IMG_5644r.jpg

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for all the replies, guys, this discussion has been wonderful. I reached out to the Navy History folks; we'll see what they say. I also pinged the N-Class Destroyers Association of W.A. group on Facebook, but no luck there yet.

I managed to track down a digital copy of another photo of his. (I'm still missing one photo, which is two ships refueling.) Can anyone make out the class of ships I'm looking at?

View attachment 34865
The one in the foreground is a “Q” Class destroyer like the Queensboro. The reinforced mast is a give away. The ship further back is a bit tougher…maybe a Grimsby Class sloop? This might help…

61DE07A0-7344-4B3E-BB1D-C8B2AFC66B63.jpeg

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

View attachment 34865
Let us know what you find out.

number9

Contributor
The one in the foreground is a “Q” Class destroyer like the Queensboro. The reinforced mast is a give away. The ship further back is a bit tougher…maybe a Grimsby Class sloop? This might help…

View attachment 34866
Thank you for posting this! He also spent a small amount of time on the HMAS Nizam (center of the photo) and both the Ping-Who and Whang-Pu (bottom right). He said the latter two were awful to be on...

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Thank you for posting this! He also spent a small amount of time on the HMAS Nizam (center of the photo) and both the Ping-Who and Whang-Pu (bottom right). He said the latter two were awful to be on...
Nobody wants to spend time on a ship named the Whang-Pu. Although the Ping-Hu would be a great Abbot & Costello gag for submariners…
“Ping What?” “No, Ping Hu!” “Who am I supposed to ping!?” “Ping Hu!” “What?” “No, Hu!”

number9

Contributor
Nobody wants to spend time on a ship named the Whang-Pu. Although the Ping-Hu would be a great Abbot & Costello gag for submariners…
“Ping What?” “No, Ping Hu!” “Who am I supposed to ping!?” “Ping Hu!” “What?” “No, Hu!”
That was incredible. ?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I think I am the only person on the planet that HATES the Who's on First routine.

The only thing worse is the annual flood of " A Christmas Carol " remakes that every sitcom seems to do at some point. I will get back to shouting at clouds and let ya'll take it from here.
Thanks grumpy cat.