• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Showdown between Super Hornet and F-35

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Endurance (loiter time) compared to E-2D makes it impractical for the F-35B to run 24-7 AEW/CAP ops from an LHA/LHD with only two dozen F-35Bs onboard (less than that number operational).

It seems like the 'lightning carrier' concept is geared to fight the previous war, in which we have uncontested airspace and the adversary lacks meaningful ASCM/CDCM standoff precision strike capability. But I'm not sure that type of adversary exists anymore. Heck, we can't even say that about the Houthis of Yemen: Ref 1, Ref 2
No one has 24/7 AEW or CAP, unless you have more than one carrier.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
No one has 24/7 AEW or CAP, unless you have more than one carrier.
Yep. You patch together early warning from a lot of different assets (carrier AEW is one piece of the puzzle)... picket ships/screen, patrol planes and surveillance planes, drones, satellites, stopgap solutions like what Chuck mentioned- all of the above with your own stuff and the stuff the partner countries bring.

I don't think the ESG concept, at least in writing and in formal doctrine, got much higher than a tacmemo. Neat jack-of-all-trades (almost all trades) task group concept, but it sorta fizzled out about ten years ago because we obviously didn't have enough smallboys to go around for it- not with all the other commitments (CVBG/CSG, BMD, independent ops/show the flag to friendly countries). I guess it's good that we keep on cranking out new Burkes since we're not getting any new cruisers, and the little crappy ships will be able to cover the friendly country/show the flag port calls that the frigates used to do.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Yep. You patch together early warning from a lot of different assets (carrier AEW is one piece of the puzzle)... picket ships/screen, patrol planes and surveillance planes, drones, satellites, stopgap solutions like what Chuck mentioned- all of the above with your own stuff and the stuff the partner countries bring.

I don't think the ESG concept, at least in writing and in formal doctrine, got much higher than a tacmemo. Neat jack-of-all-trades (almost all trades) task group concept, but it sorta fizzled out about ten years ago because we obviously didn't have enough smallboys to go around for it- not with all the other commitments (CVBG/CSG, BMD, independent ops/show the flag to friendly countries). I guess it's good that we keep on cranking out new Burkes since we're not getting any new cruisers, and the little crappy ships will be able to cover the friendly country/show the flag port calls that the frigates used to do.

We don’t even have enough LHD’s apparently. Look up what the 24th MEU is up to.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Basic LHD/A design is a bit older than the F-35.
... And with ~10 jets aboard, I would imagine the sortie generation capacity in a 24 hour cycle would not be something with which one could sustain any kind of tactically significant operations.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The rest is already taken care of or is not a critical necessity and can be mitigated, but AEW is critical in a conflict with an adversary equipped with the latest anti-ship weapons. The Brits were stymied by a mere 5 Exocets, I would hate to think how an ESG would fare against an adversary with hundreds of ASCM's or even more capable weapons.

Right now, the USMC says that MUX (a concept that only exists on paper right now) will be the AEW platform for the MAGTF.

It will also be all weather, instrument capable, be both a shooter and an ISR platform, have EA capability, be a tiltrotor that will keep with the F-35, all while making the best cup of coffee you've ever tasted.

I think we'll get better performance out of a Starbucks' Barista named Chadwick who is working on his masters degree in Italian poetry (in-between his auditioning schedule). At least I'd get something that resembled coffee out of him.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
It will also be all weather, instrument capable, be both a shooter and an ISR platform, have EA capability, be a tiltrotor that will keep with the F-35, all while making the best cup of coffee you've ever tasted.
gourmet-sht.gif

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Right now, the USMC says that MUX (a concept that only exists on paper right now) will be the AEW platform for the MAGTF. It will also be all weather, instrument capable, be both a shooter and an ISR platform, have EA capability, be a tiltrotor that will keep with the F-35, all while making the best cup of coffee you've ever tasted.

I think we'll get better performance out of a Starbucks' Barista named Chadwick who is working on his masters degree in Italian poetry (in-between his auditioning schedule). At least I'd get something that resembled coffee out of him.

That's....rich. Not as rich as a Starbuck's hot chocolate though!

I wonder where they will get the sensor operators, will the crew chiefs pull double duty or will they add a 3P to the crew?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't think the ESG concept, at least in writing and in formal doctrine, got much higher than a tacmemo. Neat jack-of-all-trades (almost all trades) task group concept, but it sorta fizzled out about ten years ago because we obviously didn't have enough smallboys to go around for it-

We had one or two dets deploy with them during my first tour. I think the first det was with the first ESG. Seemed to mostly work, but like you said, it fizzled out, especially when BMD finally came online (beyond LAKE ERIE and her test DDGs).

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Right now, the USMC says that MUX (a concept that only exists on paper right now) will be the AEW platform for the MAGTF.

The ideas being tossed around about MUX right now are...ambitious. I’ve been asked about some concepts that are truly sci-fi fantasy lately. Whoever is putting them together really seems to believe that the “lighting bolts” on contractors’ conceptual art - you know; where the various Future Concepts fly around the battlespace - are real things that really exist. No concept of how much bandwidth, manpower, and processing power are needed. “Just...(handwave) connectivity!”

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The ideas being tossed around about MUX right now are...ambitious. I’ve been asked about some concepts that are truly sci-fi fantasy lately. Whoever is putting them together really seems to believe that the “lighting bolts” on contractors’ conceptual art - you know; where the various Future Concepts fly around the battlespace - are real things that really exist. No concept of how much bandwidth, manpower, and processing power are needed. “Just...(handwave) connectivity!”
There's a whole lot of F-35 Kool-Aid being served up by LM and people in the program office. Right now, the USAF seems to have the most realistic view of what the platform can and cannot do since they've been operating it the longest.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
If the only aircraft onboard is the F-35B, what do they do for aerial refueling, airborne early warning and control, plane guard, and to a lesser extent VERTREP/onboard delivery?

Some here have said that the big deck gators can only carry 10 JSF's, however the 2017 Marine Corps Aviation plan states the plans are for 16-20 F-35's + 4 V-22's for LHA-6/7 (no well deck - a few less for the others) https://news.usni.org/2017/03/28/document-2017-u-s-marine-corps-aviation-plan

For aerial refueling and AEW, you will see variants of the V-22 which the Marine Corps is already flying. Phrogdriver can probably tell us more about the future of these variants. Moreover, I would suspect that the V-22 and the planeguard helo would operate on the LPD - Marines are very familiar with split-ARG operations thus maximizing even more space for JSF's on the big deck gator.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Some here have said that the big deck gators can only carry 10 JSF's, however the 2017 Marine Corps Aviation plan states the plans are for 16-20 F-35's + 4 V-22's for LHA-6/7 (no well deck - a few less for the others) https://news.usni.org/2017/03/28/document-2017-u-s-marine-corps-aviation-plan

View attachment 21799

For aerial refueling and AEW, you will see variants of the V-22 which the Marine Corps is already flying. Phrogdriver can probably tell us more about the future of these variants. Moreover, I would suspect that the V-22 and the planeguard helo would operate on the LPD - Marines are very familiar with split-ARG operations thus maximizing even more space for JSF's on the big deck gator.

View attachment 21800

View attachment 21801
SAR helo is on your picture. There's on one Spot 4 and one folded and stuffed by the forward garage. Where do the MEU's V-22s go in this concept? And what of the three bird SARDET?

AEW V-22 is just a pretty picture from the BD office. VARS is not a current operational capability.

So I think you'd have to see an LHD/A working closely with the CVN to make use of their AEW, AW, and tanking capabilities.

Pags

N/A
pilot
... And with ~10 jets aboard, I would imagine the sortie generation capacity in a 24 hour cycle would not be something with which one could sustain any kind of tactically significant operations.
15 jets on the roof in Randy's pic is more than nothing. Just depends on how "significant" you need to be and in which warfare areas. I'm not savvy enough on how F-35s integrate with NIFC-CA and E-2D but I can't imagine that having more F-35s for a peer fight is a bad thing.

BigRed389

None
15 jets on the roof in Randy's pic is more than nothing. Just depends on how "significant" you need to be and in which warfare areas. I'm not savvy enough on how F-35s integrate with NIFC-CA and E-2D but I can't imagine that having more F-35s for a peer fight is a bad thing.

https://news.usni.org/2017/03/22/lo...ire-test-in-2018-lrasm-flight-tests-this-year

It "sort of" does, which is what I was kind of getting at.

E-2D is nice, but obvious limitations in a model purely dependent on a high demand asset, and one not as survivable.

In the long run, if any F-35 can spot for long range missiles off any destroyer or cruiser, that would seem to be pretty significant force multiplier.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
https://news.usni.org/2017/03/22/lo...ire-test-in-2018-lrasm-flight-tests-this-year

It "sort of" does, which is what I was

Having physical room for 15 jets on deck doesn’t mean that’s what the assigned MEU is manned and equipped for. Suffice it to say that the ARG/MEU concept lacks many of the organic enablers that would place it in the same category as a CSG in terms of capabilities and capacity.