• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Hey, I've been really debating on what to do and would really like to hear feedback.

I am pretty far in the application process for USMC OTS with the first selection board being this fall, but I've been second guessing my decision. I want to be a Marine for many reasons, but I want to fly in the Navy.

I am currently a junior in college, my end goal is to become qualified for test pilot school and get my Masters in Aerospace Engineering.

Should I talk about this with my recruiter?
Yes, talk to them and see what your options are. A buddy of mine applied to USAF OTS and USN OCS at the same time and ultimately chose USN OCS when he got accepted to both.

flyORdie

Does anyone know if rec letters are important for SNA BDCP? The consensus seems to be that rec letters are not important for regular SNA boards but does that change when applying for BDCP?

DJ9001

With the September 15th class.

How/where do you confirm your graduation date?

As it appears to be mid December, is it likely we will be able to go home for the holidays?

Thanks!

With the September 15th class.

How/where do you confirm your graduation date?

As it appears to be mid December, is it likely we will be able to go home for the holidays?

Thanks!
All holiday blocks are scheduled already, unless the command allows for more. You can look online and see what’s scheduled and that should help factor in your graduation date. If you’re there over training, you won’t be allowed to go home for the holidays. You will have holiday routine over those days. A candio I had got rolled and was stuck over the holidays and he got stuck there an extra couple of weeks because of Christmas/New Years stand down.

I'm sure this has been answered before but I haven't found anything. For the week 1 flight physical, is a deviated septum ever a problem? I had a doctor tell me I had that issue once as an explanation for frequent bloody noses and congestion, but I don't think it is so severe that it impacts my breathing or athletic ability. Any other things to be really be aware of?

Damodred

Letters of recommendation--does having one from retired officer count for anything in particular? I have two people who will write what I think are strong letters already. I can get another from an ex-pilot, but it's a more distant relationship so I don't think it would really add anything in terms of content; does that service connection add value regardless? I am going to submit application for SWO if it makes a difference.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Letters of recommendation--does having one from retired officer count for anything in particular? I have two people who will write what I think are strong letters already. I can get another from an ex-pilot, but it's a more distant relationship so I don't think it would really add anything in terms of content; does that service connection add value regardless? I am going to submit application for SWO if it makes a difference.

Not really. Focus on doing well on the OAR.

elariosa95

SNA (Primary - Pool)
I'm sure this has been answered before but I haven't found anything. For the week 1 flight physical, is a deviated septum ever a problem? I had a doctor tell me I had that issue once as an explanation for frequent bloody noses and congestion, but I don't think it is so severe that it impacts my breathing or athletic ability. Any other things to be really be aware of?
You can find the NAMI waiver guide online, chapter 6 deals with ENT (ears, nose, and throat). I didn’t see anything on there about deviated septums, but you might want to double check it just in case. To be extra sure, just have a civilian doc take a look and verify that everything checks out

SailorJerry826

Enlisted Submariner turned SNFO Selectee
Sorry if this question has been asked before, I looked but didn’t find anything. For enlisted folks going to OCS, do you still get BAH while you’re there? My orders say that HHG shipment is not authorized and I know that moving my HHG stuff will come after OCS with my follow-on orders, but I can’t find an answer about BAH. I’m single with no dependents if that matters. Ultimately I’m taking to see if I keep my apartment while at OCS, or use my orders to break my lease and pay out of pocket to pack up and store my stuff until my actual HHG shipment after OCS.

fearedengineer

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I looked but didn’t find anything. For enlisted folks going to OCS, do you still get BAH while you’re there? My orders say that HHG shipment is not authorized and I know that moving my HHG stuff will come after OCS with my follow-on orders, but I can’t find an answer about BAH. I’m single with no dependents if that matters. Ultimately I’m taking to see if I keep my apartment while at OCS, or use my orders to break my lease and pay out of pocket to pack up and store my stuff until my actual HHG shipment after OCS.
From what I was told we get BAH while at OCS even if you’re single. It is pretty new I think they started doing it 2 months ago

CTHER28

This is a frivolous question and probably more for females- I’ve seen you can bring some hair products, but is there a limit to what you can bring? Is it just shampoo/conditioner and hair spray or can we bring other hair care products like hair oil or a wax stick for putting hair up?

GGDIDI

This is a frivolous question and probably more for females- I’ve seen you can bring some hair products, but is there a limit to what you can bring? Is it just shampoo/conditioner and hair spray or can we bring other hair care products like hair oil or a wax stick for putting hair up?
This female written OCS packing list from 2021 pretty much says bring all the hair products you need! https://www.errantensign.com/the-real-female-navy-ocs-packing-list/

I plan on bringing non aerosol hair spray, wax stick,and gel in terms of styling product. I have long, frizzy, wavy hair 😐