• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summer vs Cold weather flyers jacket and the Service Uniform

HuggyU2

None
Chuck, you're right. It's the Massif everyone has, and which is now issued to the active duty aircrew. I had the terminology (e.g. APECS) wrong.
Thanks for the SA.

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The -45P is too warm for Northern Kalifornia climates, but I still wear my old -36P regularly on the flightline.
This brought the mental picture to mind of someone in a big orange spacesuit trying to fit a green jacket over it, and I went "snerk."

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Chuck, you're right. It's the Massif everyone has, and which is now issued to the active duty aircrew. I had the terminology (e.g. APECS) wrong.
Thanks for the SA.

630 bucks for a cold weather uniform jacket.

As noted earlier, the AF was smart with boots- buy whatever you want just make sure they're coyote brown. I wish they would with cold weather gear.

I am sure I could find a Columbia jacket for 150 bucks that works better than this, with a zip out fleece liner, tougher material, much more weatherproof, and will last longer. Oh wait, I did. I get it, it's not flight rated, but who is flying in those anyway.

Instead we're still sitting here in Battle Creek with a thin fleece and a hand me down fleece PolarTec cap that has an EGA and USMC on the inside of it.

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Thanks for the SA.

$446.04 if you register with a .mil email address. I tried on a number of these and the cut is pretty generous. The FM folks tell us "there's money" now I just have to convince our LG to break out the gov purchasing card.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I keep hearing that. Never seen one. Isn't just a fancy fleece jacket? Big deal. What @Swanee said.
Soft shell material with gore-tex like barrier. Cut slightly longer, to go below waist. Warm, lightweight and also FR - kind of an all climate flight jacket. ID tabs on shoulder. Pencil pocket on lower sleeves. Berry compliant and - way better than the older FR "fleece" I think. Honestly a premium piece of gear.

1671556617029.png

Last edited:

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Everyone in my squadron is issued the NAVAIR version without the right breast chest patch, but the commodore wears the one above so really I don't think anyone would care as long as you don't look bad. The ground-Os have been getting supply to order the black ones as well to wear over the NWUs.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks nice. I never had the pull with Supply to get one. Enjoy!
This is a phrase that needs to be banished into the netherworlds of hell upon pain of public shame and humiliation to any Chop or MMCO that causes it to be used. I get that budgets are sometimes a thing, but you either rate gear or you don't. Arguably a CO should be either signing off on buying that kind of stuff for the entire ready room, or none of them. None of this buddy-bro-hookup bullshit.

BarryD

Contributor
Soft shell material with gore-tex like barrier. Cut slightly longer, to go below waist. Warm, lightweight and also FR - kind of an all climate flight jacket. ID tabs on shoulder. Pencil pocket on lower sleeves. Berry compliant and - way better than the older FR "fleece" I think. Honestly a premium piece of gear.

View attachment 37134
This is now issued in NIFE.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Until you see an AF 2nd Lt in UPT...lol
Yeah, but that comes with the problem of being a butter bar who's unfortunately in the Air Force, and unfortunately being hazed 12 hours a day in their version of flight school. Looking back, hard pass. I'd for sure take it over never having the chance to be winged at all, but that's about it.

HuggyU2

None
Yeah, but that comes with the problem of being a butter bar who's unfortunately in the Air Force, and unfortunately being hazed 12 hours a day in their version of flight school. Looking back, hard pass.
I'd go back in a heartbeat. What a fantastic 52 weeks it was.

Also take note that most of the guys (and gal) in my UPT class were done with follow-on training and at their operational units before they made O-2.

Last I heard, it took the Navy four years to make that happen for some pipelines. True? If so, talk about a haze!

Last edited: