• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Eyes have it - All things Vision-related

jjohnson87

Good evening,
I have searched the forum for this and can’t find the answer but I apologize if this question has already been asked. I understand lasik and PRK are waiverable. However if wanting to fly Jets does it matter if you have LASIK since it involves cutting your eye and sealing it back. I have read that in the past there were concerns with G force exposer and the eye being damaged from the flap unsealing and moving. Does anybody know if this will hold be back from getting a Jet spot? Thank you for any information you can give me

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good evening,
I have searched the forum for this and can’t find the answer but I apologize if this question has already been asked. I understand lasik and PRK are waiverable. However if wanting to fly Jets does it matter if you have LASIK since it involves cutting your eye and sealing it back. I have read that in the past there were concerns with G force exposer and the eye being damaged from the flap unsealing and moving. Does anybody know if this will hold be back from getting a Jet spot? Thank you for any information you can give me
No platform restrictions from either PRK or LASIK.

Mouselovr

Contributor
concerns with G force exposer and the eye being damaged from the flap unsealing and moving.
I told the flight surgeon at my LASIK consult I was concerned as I play contact sports.
He explained unless you’re involved with MMA or boxing with no head gear, there aren’t any activities that frequently cause issues. It’s the direct impact to the eye at high speed/force with a blunt object (fist) that causes problems.
G forces were never mentioned or a concern.

I know plenty of LASIK/PRK folks who went on to fly jets.

Also, if there was issue with Gs and LASIK, they’d have to ban people from the T6

Last edited:

kirons7227

Good Evening all,

Just commissioned in May and found out my medical was sent back because I have a scar on my eye. I was selected for SNA. Not sure what it’s from, but the flight surgeon mentioned it was there but not big enough to be an issue. Talked to a corpsman this morning and she said that there are some waivers for it. That being said, am I screwed? It doesn’t effect my vision and I passed from everything else. Can I still go NFO? Any and all help is appreciated.

Mouselovr

Contributor
Sounds like there are waivers for it and you should be good.
If doc wasn't worried, I wouldn't be worried.
Enjoy Pensacola.

andpol32

hi all, wanted to ask what the most up to date word is on the LASIK waiver process? ive heard that its no longer a waiver required and that you just have to present pre/post op paperwork from the eye surgeon/optometrist.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
hi all, wanted to ask what the most up to date word is on the LASIK waiver process? ive heard that its no longer a waiver required and that you just have to present pre/post op paperwork from the eye surgeon/optometrist.

While it may not require a navy waiver it’ll probably still be a MEPS waiver and they may want additional documentation.

Your OR would have the most up to date info.

Good afternoon,

I've been digging through This website as well as Reddit regarding the process of color vision testing for both AFOTS and Navy OCS. My current situation is that by all metrics my eyes are prefect (only use glasses when staring at a computer or book all day to help with strain), but I know that I am slightly color deficient. I have read through all the relevant medical documents regarding testing scores to become a rated officer, but my main question is when is the secondary testing done (like the RCCT). I know for a fact the I will fail the PIP test but other than those types of tests I've never had issues with colors. I was just wondering if anyone has any information or advice for my current situation.

If more information is needed I'll happily provide it, and sorry if this is the wrong place or way to make a post since I'm new.

Mouselovr

Contributor
Are you trying to become an aviator or just a rated officer?

p.12 of the NAMI waiver guide (this is for aviators NOT general commissioned officers):
Color Vision: Must pass any one of the following two tests: 1. PIP color plates (Any red-green screening test with at least 14 diagnostic plates; see manufacturer instructions for scoring information) randomly administered under Macbeth lamp: scoring plates 2-15, at least 12/14 correct. 2. Computer-Based Color Vision Testing: must achieve a passing grade on an approved and validated Computer-Based Color Vision Test.

All color blindess tests I have been given for aviation looked like this but with a printed flip book and you tell them what number you see:
https://colormax.org/color-blind-test/

My apologies for the lack of clarity. Yes my main goal is to become an aviator (WSO and all the backseat stuff sounds fun too). When I read through the medical standards I did see that the computer based tests are valid, but I have had a hard time figuring out when such a test would be administered. Like I stated previously I know that I cannot pass the PIP test administered at MEPS but am more confident about the computer based tests.

Hopefully that cleared some stuff up. Right now I'm trying to gather as much information as I can just to make sure I don't waste my or a recruiters time attempting do the impossible.

FormerRecruitingGuru

My apologies for the lack of clarity. Yes my main goal is to become an aviator (WSO and all the backseat stuff sounds fun too). When I read through the medical standards I did see that the computer based tests are valid, but I have had a hard time figuring out when such a test would be administered. Like I stated previously I know that I cannot pass the PIP test administered at MEPS but am more confident about the computer based tests.

Hopefully that cleared some stuff up. Right now I'm trying to gather as much information as I can just to make sure I don't waste my or a recruiters time attempting do the impossible.

Why not just go through the MEPS process before you try to self-DQ yourself?

Why not just go through the MEPS process before you try to self-DQ yourself?
This is a very good point, previous times I have taken PIP like tests I fail them in relatively spectacular fashion. I'm primarily looking for information about what happens after you fail the MEPS color vision test, and if it would even be possible for my packet to get seen by the aviation board at that point? I don't mean to sound super hard on myself, I just learned early on that there's no point in sugar coating the fact that my eyes are just a little different than everyone else's

FormerRecruitingGuru

This is a very good point, previous times I have taken PIP like tests I fail them in relatively spectacular fashion. I'm primarily looking for information about what happens after you fail the MEPS color vision test, and if it would even be possible for my packet to get seen by the aviation board at that point? I don't mean to sound super hard on myself, I just learned early on that there's no point in sugar coating the fact that my eyes are just a little different than everyone else's

It goes back and forth, but it seems like nowadays if you fail the MEPS vision test for whenever reason (color vision, DP, etc.), you can retest elsewhere and submit documentation, but it needs to be one of the approved military tests.

In the end, if you can’t pass military-approved color vision tests there’s nothing you can really do. Similarly, if you’re not medically qualified, to include vision you’re not allowed to apply.

Hi everyone!
Currently going through the process of applying for SNA.
I recently went through MEPS (was planning on going AF originally), and failed the depth perception test. I've seen through a couple threads on here that they're accepting waivers if you pass a depth perception test through a doctor. Anyone have any pointers if I should go to an optometrist/ophthalmologist? Just trying to find a doc that would be willing to do this kind of testing.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Hi everyone!
Currently going through the process of applying for SNA.
I recently went through MEPS (was planning on going AF originally), and failed the depth perception test. I've seen through a couple threads on here that they're accepting waivers if you pass a depth perception test through a doctor. Anyone have any pointers if I should go to an optometrist/ophthalmologist? Just trying to find a doc that would be willing to do this kind of testing.

It goes back and forth accepting tests from civilian eye doctors or not. You can always try and give it a shot.