• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Raptors have landed...at Oceana

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Our SIPR hasn't migrated yet. Has there been any serious look to go SIPR with this? As the former S-2/S-6 of my squadron, I can only imagine the hassle involved, but I'm not a computer expert.
Putting this same thing together on SIPR would be quite simple... that is of course until you got involved with NMCI/ONENET sipr... arghhh....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Putting this same thing together on SIPR would be quite simple... that is of course until you got involved with NMCI/ONENET sipr... arghhh....

Seems like it could be run from a CAG or weapons school SIPR site.

Brett

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
You mean SIPR being run by NMCI? It's a reality stateside. :eek:

Brett

Our (Okinawa) SIPR isn't NMCI yet. What I meant was has anybody made any serious attempt to put AW (or something like it) on the SIPR? I'd imagine the paperwork and reada$$ would be monumental. Is it even possible? I know that the computer stuff would work (just like NIPR), but I wonder what The Man's position would be. This would be very useful on SIPR.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Mefesto said:
So then how can you ***** about the fact that it can't do those missions. It was designed soley to sweep the sky, and make way for everyone else.

Of course I can. In this day and age, when defense spending is at a relative low (as a % of GDP), the "single mission capable" platform is a luxury we can't afford. Especially when OCA sweep has hardly been the great struggle of TACAIR recently.

In Kosovo, the ATO put a huge demand on Prowlers. In Afghanistan, they put a huge demand on Tomcats for FAC(A), and F-15Es for being able to carry a sh!tton of bombs. Nowadays the Marine Corps' -18D community is getting deployed like crazy for their FAC(A) capability as well.

But don't worry, everyone! Never fear, the Raptor has come to relieve all your problems by sweeping the skies of all those Sukhois which were bothering you over Kosovo, Afghanistan, and Iraq :)

It's called misdirecting energy. Cool plane, and I'd love to have them on my side, but there's a lot better places the Chair Force could have directed their considerable resources. Again, too bad there isn't a SIPR AW...

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Our (Okinawa) SIPR isn't NMCI yet. What I meant was has anybody made any serious attempt to put AW (or something like it) on the SIPR? I'd imagine the paperwork and reada$$ would be monumental. Is it even possible? I know that the computer stuff would work (just like NIPR), but I wonder what The Man's position would be. This would be very useful on SIPR.

I'm just curious how widely proliferated SIPR is throughout the fleet... over here just about nobody's got it...

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
At my current job I have both computers on my desk. In most fleet squadrons they have a couple computers in a room/vault somewhere. Not easy, but not impossible either.

As a RAG instructor I had to try to get SIPR in the squadron spaces. LOTS and LOTS of BS paperwork, abject "No Way" from the Wing computer homo, and general red-a$$ from everybody in The Peoples Republic of Cherry Point. Depending on where you're at, you may have it on your desk, in your squadron somehwere, or maybe in another building (painful).

Just as a bit of advice, whenever you send somebody a SIPR e-mail, make sure you follow up with NIPR or a phone call. I keep forgetting that some people don't have ready access and won't know they have an inbound message rifht away unless you give them a heads up.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At my current job I have both computers on my desk. In most fleet squadrons they have a couple computers in a room/vault somewhere. Not easy, but not impossible either.

As a RAG instructor I had to try to get SIPR in the squadron spaces. LOTS and LOTS of BS paperwork, abject "No Way" from the Wing computer homo, and general red-a$$ from everybody in The Peoples Republic of Cherry Point. Depending on where you're at, you may have it on your desk, in your squadron somehwere, or maybe in another building (painful).

Just as a bit of advice, whenever you send somebody a SIPR e-mail, make sure you follow up with NIPR or a phone call. I keep forgetting that some people don't have ready access and won't know they have an inbound message rifht away unless you give them a heads up.

It's pretty standard in the Prowler community. Each squadron has a vault/office and the RAG has a whole vaulted wing that is "Secure." I'm frankly surprised (shocked) that other communities aren't "hooked up."

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's pretty standard in the Prowler community. Each squadron has a vault/office and the RAG has a whole vaulted wing that is "Secure." I'm frankly surprised (shocked) that other communities aren't "hooked up."

Brett

Yeah, our Intel room is "Secure" and has SIPR access.

MasterBates

We have to go across the street and have a DH login. Non SWTIs/DHs are not entrusted with a SIPR logon here. I have tried to get a login from the IT man, and I get told I don't need it.

2 years ago they ynked my desk out of my office and put a "safe/vault/server" thingie there. They also did a VERY ghetto install. Conduit running in P-ways, etc. NOT a good install IMHO.

And now we can't get the 'puters becasue the building is not secure enough.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
We have to go across the street and have a DH login. Non SWTIs/DHs are not entrusted with a SIPR logon here. I have tried to get a login from the IT man, and I get told I don't need it.

What? That is fvcking retarded! So, SWTIs/DHs are the only pilots who are allowed to access the latest intelligence and tactical information? That is elitist and short sighted.

MasterBates

I think it is an IT-Nanny Mindset issue. 60 Pilots and 30 AWs x 5 squadrons is a lot of people, and they don't want the hassle. Even though it is their job.

I haven't tried since I made LT, maybe I can get it now. Funny, how the SHOES give you SIPR on the boat, even if you are only there a week.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
I think it is an IT-Nanny Mindset issue. 60 Pilots and 30 AWs x 5 squadrons is a lot of people, and they don't want the hassle. Even though it is their job.

Yeah, 'cause your AWs of all people would NEVER need access. Your IT guys are retards (and that's w/ all due respect to real live retards who might draw offense at the comparison).

Hursel110

None

Ouch. Just to highlight the difference, I was forced by my Chief to get SIPR access when I was an E-5 work center sup. Just kind of curious about the reasons for some communities handing out access, while others keep such a tight rein on it.