• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Total Ejections a Pilot can make?

LSUMarine

Lay off me! I'm starving!
nocal80 said:
For the Meridian guys, didn't Jdizzle punch out of four jets?

That's the rumor around the sim building... three A-4's and one T-2 (in which the stud didn't survive.)

I don't know if there is any truth to this or not, it could just be an urban legend to explain why he "is the way he is."

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
"Total ejections a pilot can make .... " ???

When I was a STUD ... one of our instructors was an "ace" .... for the other side.

But "how many"??? Well, you should be able to make one for every takeoff you log without a corresponding landing ..... until "they" figure out why you keep making all those ejections.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
LSUMarine said:
That's the rumor around the sim building... three A-4's and one T-2 (in which the stud didn't survive.)

I don't know if there is any truth to this or not, it could just be an urban legend to explain why he "is the way he is."

as i remember hearing it....

once in a a-4 off the cat
once in an a-7 over vietnam (rolling in on a bridge)
once in a a-4 in training

once in t-2, stud killed

joeyF-18

well I was not stating a fact about the G laod, I was just giving people an idea about how much your body can take. And the compression thing it may not happen to everybody, but it can happen.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I do know an S-3 NFO who has ejected from 1 A-6 & 1 S-3 and has been in at least 1 other Class A w/out an ejection. He's still flying now and on track to be an XO/CO.

Like was said before, I don't believe that there is an official limit on ejections, just on damage to the body before NOMI says no more for you.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
We had two guys at my last command who had each ejected twice. One guy was from VF-41. CS 'Bru' He was featured on one of those 30 minute news programs (Inside Edition?)...cant' remember the name. The girl doing the interview also got to fly as part of the interview package. Oh my, there was certainly some eye candy there.

The other guy....I was giving him a tour of the TG building. Lining the walls are dozens of pictures of A/C...he stops, then tells me that (pointing) 'that one doesn't exist anymore; I dumped it off Cubi.' He went on to tell me that he woke up under water and, after a year in the hospital, decided to do something else. He became a flight surgeon.

There is no magical number for ejections....if you clear the physical, you get to continue flying. As far as being shorter after an ejection, I have never heard of someone being measured after one....in theory it sounds good as the joint space between the vertebrae will always compress during an ejection; they will also rebound back to very near their normal size.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
feddoc said:
The other guy....I was giving him a tour of the TG building. Lining the walls are dozens of pictures of A/C...he stops, then tells me that (pointing) 'that one doesn't exist anymore; I dumped it off Cubi.' He went on to tell me that he woke up under water and, after a year in the hospital, decided to do something else. He became a flight surgeon.

*shudder* that's amazing. Talk about cheating death.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think most of the "shorter after ejection" camp is getting their info from anecdotal cases. I can think of one from the Discovery Channel program "Carrier: Fortress at Sea" where the A-6 pilot said he was an inch shorter after punching out. I've heard it elsewhere, as well, for what it's worth.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
I think most of the "shorter after ejection" camp is getting their info from anecdotal cases. I can think of one from the Discovery Channel program "Carrier: Fortress at Sea" where the A-6 pilot said he was an inch shorter after punching out. I've heard it elsewhere, as well, for what it's worth.

I remember that too. Said it had something to do with his chute never really deploying. That ejection was brutal, you could see his B/N (or was he the B/N?) skip across the water.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yup, that's the one. I thought he was the pilot, because I later saw him at VF-11 when I was there for a summer cruise. He had apparently transferred over once the Intruders went away. I thought the O-4 in the show was the BN, but I may be remembering it wrong.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Yup, that's the one. I thought he was the pilot, because I later saw him at VF-11 when I was there for a summer cruise. He had apparently transferred over once the Intruders went away. I thought the O-4 in the show was the BN, but I may be remembering it wrong.

It was "Twig" LaBranche; a pilot and currently skipper of VF-31

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
gatordev said:
I think most of the "shorter after ejection" camp is getting their info from anecdotal cases. I can think of one .......where the A-6 pilot said he was an inch shorter after punching out. I've heard it elsewhere, as well, for what it's worth.
I agree .... although the earlier Martin-Baker seats gave an initial "more violent" ride than the Escapac seats, according to the experts. I suffer from back problems today which were predicted 30 years ago as a result of a non-MB, Escapac seat. But I think this is where some of the annecdotal "shorter" aviator stuff came from .... earlier Martin-Baker ejections, that is .....

I know some Aviators had to be "shorter" to "fit" into some of the seats. For example .... the fire-plug shaped STUDs went to Beeville and the F-9 while their more handsome, urbane, taller bretheren went to the much sexier A-4 in Kingsville. Sitting height .... who could know??? Some vertically challenged STUDs even went to the "measurement" at NAMI with newspaper stuffed into their jockey shorts. It led to the Flight Surgeons requiring Jet STUDs heading for Texas and Advanced to take the sitting height "measurement" in their underwear after an "inspection", of sorts.

Do you suppose ..... the origin of "don't ask, don't tell" ???

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The current NACES seat in the T-45 uses a gas charge to catapult you out of the aircraft and then the rocket fires. Pretty neat system. Supposed to be gentler on the body without sacrificing survivability. Or so we were told.