• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Total Ejections a Pilot can make?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
What about gyro stabilization? Don't Russian seats have a system like that, which is why we see all those videos with MiG pilots ejecting at obscene low altitude and attitudes?

Personally, I have no ejection seat, and Nr is my parachute.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gaijin6423 said:
What about gyro stabilization? Don't Russian seats have a system like that, which is why we see all those videos with MiG pilots ejecting at obscene low altitude and attitudes?

Personally, I have no ejection seat, and Nr is my parachute.

That would be the K36, which has an impressive performance record. Goodyear teamed with the manufacturer and tried to get it into US aircraft, but Navy was sold on NACES variants made by Martin Baker and initial analysis showed it would require major mods to be retrofitted into US platforms.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Read this FAS link .... it will help understand the history, the evolution of the seats, and the risks inherent in an ejection.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/equip/eject.htm

Nice link...though it is somewhat USAF centric. Germans introduced ejection seats in WWII and reportedly had several dozen combat ejections. One of the German He162 (Jet) seats is at NASM and was provided to USAF and USN engineers to help them design first US seats.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
I thought his B/N was killed in the ejection.

No, I meant the stereo-typical O-4 w/ the 2.3 children who was watching the video with him. Not the one that actually punched out.

@heyjoe:

So if he's the CO of VF-31, are they now flying Superhornets? That guy keeps getting planes canceled!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
No, I meant the stereo-typical O-4 w/ the 2.3 children who was watching the video with him. Not the one that actually punched out.

@heyjoe:

So if he's the CO of VF-31, are they now flying Superhornets? That guy keeps getting planes canceled!

There are still 2 Tomcat squadrons left and they are flying over Iraq as I write this. Twig will get to "retire" the Tomcat in Sept 2006 as it fades into sunset (see http://www.Tomcat-sunset.org/forums) before they begin transition to the F/A-18E.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ah, okay, I thought VF-31 had already closed for business. Thanks for the update.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
and.....Don't leave us hanging! I'll make a "Ghetto Cobra" thread if you want. ;)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I read an article a few years ago about Martin-Baker and about how they kept track of how many times people had ejected in their seats. I remember that they had a small number that had ejected 4 times and a handful, maybe two or three, that had ejected 5 times. I think one guy may have had six ejections. I could not find it on google but I think the article was in Air and Space magazine.

P.S. One of my ECMO classmates in the RAG ejected with just 8.9 hours in the Prowler. Another one of my classmates ejected after having the same problem with the jet. 2 out of 5 guys so far.......:eek:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
I read an article a few years ago about Martin-Baker and about how they kept track of how many times people had ejected in their seats. I remember that they had a small number that had ejected 4 times and a handful, maybe two or three, that had ejected 5 times. I think one guy may have had six ejections. I could not find it on google but I think the article was in Air and Space magazine.

P.S. One of my ECMO classmates in the RAG ejected with just 8.9 hours in the Prowler. Another one of my classmates ejected after having the same problem with the jet. 2 out of 5 guys so far.......:eek:
Was that the kid in the back of Slick's jet? Got some nasty seat slap as I recall. Slick got some good mileage out of that event in the Brown Lantern - what a weasel.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Guy I went to flight school with was the youngest ever to eject from a military aircraft. his dad was in the JPATs program and he got a "good deal" flight with one of the test pilots and his seat fired. I think he was 12 or 13.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
Guy I went to flight school with was the youngest ever to eject from a military aircraft. his dad was in the JPATs program and he got a "good deal" flight with one of the test pilots and his seat fired. I think he was 12 or 13.

I thought that record went to the poor (now deceased) kid who armed up the S-3 ejection seat on a static display at an airshow and pulled the handle. It completely changed the way we do air show static displays.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnugg said:
I thought that record went to the poor (now deceased) kid who armed up the S-3 ejection seat on a static display at an airshow and pulled the handle. It completely changed the way we do air show static displays.

I wouldn't count that as part of the data --- kid leaned over and said "what's this do" and he pulled the handle that was clearly intended to be pulled