• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Total Ejections a Pilot can make?

Lawman

None
AllAmerican75 said:
I wonder if the Russkies do the same thing? I hear they have great seats*.

They do seem to like to give Demo's at Airshows with them.

Question: What do Russian Airshow Aircraft and old tennis shoes have in common?

Answer: Grass Stains.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
Actually the thing the -45 seat has going for it is that there are two smaller catapult charges which go off sequentially as opposed to one big one, thus less Gs overall for the same effect. Seat techs said that the catapult itself is enough to clear the tail without the rocket; the rocket's job is to shoot you high enough for zero-zero performance.

That's what I was talking about.

SgtWookie

One of the Marines I served with back in the 70's punched out of Phantoms three times that I know of - and kept flying. The first couple of times he ejected was over Vietnam - on one of those occasions, he (then Captain John "Little John" Cummings) and Major "Bear" Lassiter had shot down a MiG - the first all-Marine team to do so. His third ejection was over MCAS Yuma AZ, when his pilot (the XO) made an unbriefed right roll into his wingman. Cummings got out when the aircraft had rolled about 45 degrees. The rudder impacted the canopy of his wingman, crushing it and killing the pilot, a "retread" Infantry Captain, new to the squadron. The wingman's RIO, 1/LT Ulatowski, ejected OK, but wound up wearing a neck brace for a few months. Meanwhile, the rudder impacted the wingman's Phantom a 2nd time, shearing off the entire rudder/stabilator of the XO's plane; the aircraft continued in an uncontrolled roll and steep descent. XO ejected outside of the envelope, and didn't make it.

Maj. Cummings hiked back to our transient hangar, and was really PO'ed that nobody was around - we'd all jumped on/in anything that would move, and high-tailed it out to the crash sites.

Maj. Cummings was soon named the replacement XO, and kept flying after I left the squadron.

Here's what our birds looked like at that time:
F-4J_VMFA-451_Beaufort_76.jpg

S/F

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Sweet lookin' ride. And seeing as how there are ejection stories being told, I feel like sharin' one courtesy of my uncle who flew F-4s in the Air Force and later ANG. In fact he retired the last frontline service Phantom from active duty to the Arizona desert.

So, there my uncle was, training a foreign pilot(the nationality escapes me at this time) how to fly the Phantom. He's in the back seat and the foreign guy(FG) is in the front. So, anyway, there my uncle is, doing his duty as a good IP, and trying to communicate with the FG who didn't speaka-da-the-English very well, when all of a sudden the gauges go all screwy and a couple non-life threatening instruments malfunction and a couple warning lights come on. My uncle, being the experienced Phantom driver that he is, doesn't think anything's wrong and sorta just keeps an eye on it. Meanwhile, in the front seat, the FG is freaking-out. He starts maneuvering the aircraft wildly and starts screaming in his native tongue. My uncle tries to calm him down and keep the aircraft from having an unscheduled reunion with the ground. But to no avail. The FG, after some more screaming decides the situation is unsalvageable and yanks the loud handle and punches out of the aircraft. My uncle, still incredulous about what just happened, returns to base and lands the aircraft from the back seat, with the rails and everything sticking-out in front.
The Foreign Pilot was sent packing while my uncle had to file a bunch of paperwork.
Moral of the story, drink more ovaltine.:D Happy New Year!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
I think most of the "shorter after ejection" camp is getting their info from anecdotal cases. I can think of one from the Discovery Channel program "Carrier: Fortress at Sea" where the A-6 pilot said he was an inch shorter after punching out. I've heard it elsewhere, as well, for what it's worth.

Here's the guy...now CO of VF-31. I shot this at VF-31 patching of their last nugget in March 2005

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What's up with the Rippers patch having "AKRON 196" on it? Oh, wait, lemme guess, that's their new number now, right?

mike bennett

Ejection Seat Use

Dear Forum Members
Please excuse a non-military person posting to this group on this particular thread.
I run a website devoted to ejection history and have noted with great interest the comments by your members.
The manufacturers are not keen to make public none-successful ejections for many reasons - initially the early USAF tests were held back by inuendo that the seats were not safe - this got into the aviation community and many pilots did not eject when they could have done. Early test pilots removed cartridges from seats - not liking the idea of a 37mm explosion so close to their spines.

Many ejections were inadvertant - some throungh seat design - some through human error - some due to combat damage.

I haven't yet put together a list of most ejections by a person but you may be interested in the fact that a Sergeant Staffa ejected on threee separate occasions during WW2 from the rear seat of Heinkel He-219 - more interesting is the fact theat these rear seats faced to the rear of the aircraft.

Doddy Hay the famour Test ejectee did over 30 live tests so must claim the record for most ejections - a Russina whose name at the moment escapes me did over 20 such tests from an IL-28 Beagle flown to high altitude and then "abandonned" as the aircraft then became a traget for a missile being tested.

Please do view my "fledgling" website at

www.ejection-history.org.uk
and could you add or amend any details -

if you reply to my cmments on this this thread Please can you make a CC to my email address

mbenshar@aol.com

Also to ensure my request for help does not clog up the forum please can you contact me with any specific ejection information or photos

Sincere regards
and a very Happy New Year

Mike Bennett
Project Get Out and Walk

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How many ejections can you sustain?

One name not mentioned is Nernard Lynch who volunteered to be first live subject at Martin-Baker and continued to log more takeoffs than landings...

Bernard (Benny) Lynch was one of Martin-Baker’s experimental fitters and made the first Martin-Baker ejection at a speed of 320 mph in July 1946. The equipment worked as advertised and became a landmark in the development aircrew escape equipment and a significant milestome in the history of the Martin-Baker Aircraft Company. Lynch went on to make a further
sixteen live ejection tests from the company's test Meteors was eventually awarded the British Empire Medal for his work.

mike bennett

Ejection History

Apologies to the Forum,::eek:

In my posting I erroneously attributed 30 plus ejections to Doddy Hay.

Doddy in fact did four ejection tests -

a rear facing test from a Valiant to prove the principle that escape from the rear of the British V Bombers was possible.

a zero - zero from a ground A rig - first live rocket seat test for Martin-Baker

a zero - zero from a lorry rear in Paris. - they moved the test site a few metres and Doddy landed on concrete rather than the grass originally intended.

an airborne test that resulted in his decision to give up testing seats

I spoke at length with Doddy (real name William Tulloch Hutton Hay) on many occassions and he was always very self deprecating about his work and contributions to ejection seat development.

Heyjoe reminded of my error when he mention Bernard Lynch - it was he that did the majority of Martin-Baker's live tests (at least 17 recorded aerial tests)including air show ejections from the rear of a Meteor. Goodness knows what his spine must have been like towards the end of his career.

He had already performed many ramp tests for the Martin-Baker Company.

It is the 60th anniversary year of the first live test conducted by Benny Lynch who ejected from the rear of a converted Meteor III on 24th July 1946.
Regards
Mike Bennett
Project Get Out and Walk

As a rider - Did any of you eject in 1991 or know people who did - I'm updating the 1991 section at present ??? (or for that matter any other year)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
mike bennett said:
As a rider - Did any of you eject in 1991 or know people who did - I'm updating the 1991 section at present ??? (or for that matter any other year)

Devon Jones ("Boots") and Larry Slade ("Rat") ejected from their F-14B over Iraq in mid January 1991 after a close encounter with a SA-2.

There's an acoount of an OV-10 ejection at this site: http://www.ov-10bronco.net/index_desert_storm_10th_anniversary.cfm

Check this link for F-15E pilot who ejected near Al Qa'im
: http://www.axpow.org/eberlydavid.htm

Out to be able to cross reference with other POWs (believe there were 20+ who may have ejected)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
hendogg311 said:
I think J Dizzle only had 2 ejections and rode 1 in. I think you can still see the T-2 in the lake.
Sounds like the old timer has a perfect rap name if he ever wants to go that route. :D

Brett

mike bennett

Ejection History

Heyjoe wrote (
Check this link for F-15E pilot who ejected near Al Qa'im
: http://www.axpow.org/eberlydavid.htm
)

Thanks for the link - I've spoken with Lt Col Eberly in the last couple of days and will let the forum know when I've added his details to the website.

Anyone have photos or contacts with

Lt. Larry "Rat" Slade POW
Lt. Devon "Boots" Jones Rescued

or

Lt. Col. Clifford Acree

Chief Warrant Officer Guy L. Hunter, Jr.

or

Lt. Robert Wetzel POW. Later released.
Lt.
Jeffrey Zaun ejected POW. Later released.

and lastly

has anyone the complete crew list for
B‑52G Stratofortress
59‑2593
97th BW on TDA from Eaker Air Force Base
Electrical failure returning from mission over Iraq.
Crashed into Indian Ocean 15 M N of Diego Garcia

I have
Jorge I. Arteaga did not eject KIA BNR
Navigator Jon J. Olson did not eject
KIA BNR
1st Lt. Eric D. Hedeen ejected
Body found in inflated liferaft

?? ejected
?? ejected
?? ejected

Can anyone confirm ejection seats fitted into the B-52G
I think Republic but am probably way out of date

You keep mentioning J Dizzle - please excuse my ignorance but has anyone a full name, photo and dates for his ejections

With respect
Mike Bennett
Project Get Out and Walk

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
mike bennett said:
Heyjoe wrote ()

Thanks for the link - I've spoken with Lt Col Eberly in the last couple of days and will let the forum know when I've added his details to the website.

With respect
Mike Bennett
Project Get Out and Walk

The folks who were POWs have formed the 5th Allied POW Wing and get together as a group. I went to one of their affairs and Hunter and Slade were there. They seemed like a close knit group so Eberly may be the key to getting to all of them.

Do you have info on the A-6 crew shot down by H-3 Airfiled? Here's link to recent coverage of the pilot, Bob Wetzel. His B/N, Jeff Zahn is out on the web as well. http://www.aiipowmia.com/inter23/in033003pgwalive.html

Here's some coverage of 2 F-16 pilots: http://www.lucky-devils.net/tico.html and more on F-16 pilot survival in Code One: http://www.codeonemagazine.com/archives/1992/articles/apr_92/apr2a_92.html