• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

U-2 Pictures, as requested

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Awesome pics. I had asked for them in another thread and this is what I had hoped for.

badger16

None
Is this you by any chance. Sorry if it's a repost.

And why is that guy driving a Mustang convertible.

The Huggy I met @ Oshkosh had Billy Bob teeth and bought all his drinks @ the Acee Duecee with 2 dollar bills. I don't know though I may have had a few by that point.:icon_tong

KSUFLY

pilot
The Huggy I met @ Oshkosh had Billy Bob teeth and bought all his drinks @ the Acee Duecee with 2 dollar bills. I don't know though I may have had a few by that point.:icon_tong

Ahhh...the Billy Bob teeth. That is a Huggy give away right there. I'm disappointed he didn't have them in the video. Wish I could've made it to Oshkosh this year.

Steve Davies

Aviation Writer & Photographer

I have to say that the other pilot, when talking to the gentleman who said he had 1,000 hours in the SR and 800 in the U-2, sounded extremely insincere with his 'you are my hero' comment, not least of all because when this guy was flying the U-2 they were actually getting shot at and shot down.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I have to say that the other pilot, when talking to the gentleman who said he had 1,000 hours in the SR and 800 in the U-2, sounded extremely insincere with his 'you are my hero' comment, not least of all because when this guy was flying the U-2 they were actually getting shot at and shot down.

1000 in the SR71 and 1800 in the U2? Doesn't that sound a bit unrealistic? Maybe Flathatter and Skeeterman have me a bit paranoid, but I'm a little suspicious. A guy with that much time in those two aircraft I would think would be somewhat famous within those communities. Maybe the insincerity was dubiousness disguised to be polite for the cameras.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I better clarify. Most of the pics you're seeing are/will come from two of my friends: Stu Broce and Jeff Olesen. Both are high quality photographers with lots of experience and good gear. In fact, Stu was a 14 year Naval Aviator before we stole him over to the U-2 program 4 or 5 years ago. He's somewhat well known for one of his early videos:
When I shoot pics, I take a bunch, and hope for the best. Sort of like the way I land an airplane.

Stu "Meat" Broce...former Tomcat guy with a unique past?

On 6 February 1991, an F-14A Tomcat from VF-1, off Ranger, piloted by Lt. Stuart Broce, with Cmdr. Ron McElraft as Radar Intercept Officer, downed an Iraqi MI-8 Hip helicopter with an AIM-9M Sidewinder missile. At 9 p.m. EST on 27 February, President Bush declared Kuwait had been liberated and Operation Desert Storm would end at midnight.

HuggyU2

None
Ha! You should be a recce guy!
Yep, that's me at Oshkosh this year. Great time.
It was a convertible because 1). it's what Ford gave us for the show, and 2) we figured "a convertible? Why not!"
BTW, the guy driving the convertible was our very first Navy/Marine interservice transfer to the U-2. He was an SH-60 pilot, then T-34 IP at Whiting.
Interservice transfers are still a possibility, but are very competitive. Check out:
http://www.beale.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=5077

HuggyU2

None
Holy smokes, man, you're scaring me! Which one were you?? That's all I use: $2 bills. What else would a U-2 pilot buy drinks with?

HuggyU2

None
You'd have to know Cabi, but, yes, he's sincere,... and a true aviation lover. Owns a Cub, is an A&P,... great pilot.

As for the guy with the 1200 hours in the Sled and 1800 in the Deuce: yes, he's legit. I met him at the Oshkosh in previous years, and he was at the U-2 50th reunion, hanging out with the old guys. I think he got into the U-2 in '59. Probably got into the Sled around '68.

Stu Broce: yes, same guy. Same great guy.

KSUFLY

pilot
On 6 February 1991, an F-14A Tomcat from VF-1, off Ranger, piloted by Lt. Stuart Broce, with Cmdr. Ron McElraft as Radar Intercept Officer, downed an Iraqi MI-8 Hip helicopter with an AIM-9M Sidewinder missile. At 9 p.m. EST on 27 February, President Bush declared Kuwait had been liberated and Operation Desert Storm would end at midnight.

Meat told me that story at McGuire's in Pensacola before my commissioning and he said that he didn't know of any other confirmed kills since then. I told him that the F-14 was being retired in a couple months. I could see the wheels turning in his head. He said, "well, I'll always have the last confirmed kill in a 14 then."

Great guy if you ever meet him.

KSUFLY

pilot
As for the guy with the 1200 hours in the Sled and 1800 in the Deuce: yes, he's legit. I met him at the Oshkosh in previous years, and he was at the U-2 50th reunion, hanging out with the old guys. I think he got into the U-2 in '59. Probably got into the Sled around '68.

Stu Broce: yes, same guy. Same great guy.

Huggy...check out the Skeeterman thread. You'll see why so many people on here are a little cautious when people tell stories like that. Interesting fella.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Sorry I'm late on this, but to echo what others have said those are some awesome pics! I'll have to admit after some of our other "colorful" personalities we've had here I was skeptical that we had an actual U2 pilot on the board, but now all I can say is wow. Heres a late welcome and glad to have you here!

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
Sorry I'm late on this, but to echo what others have said those are some awesome pics! I'll have to admit after some of our other "colorful" personalities we've had here I was skeptical that we had an actual U2 pilot on the board, but now all I can say is wow. Heres a late welcome and glad to have you here!

Agreed!...here's to hoping you're legit...:icon_zbee

Great pics btw!...and welcome.