• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

U-2 Pictures, as requested

Pugs

Back from the range
None
BTW, the guy driving the convertible was our very first Navy/Marine interservice transfer to the U-2. He was an SH-60 pilot, then T-34 IP at Whiting.

Last trip to PSAB I got a nice tour of the U-2 by a guy who had come from being a T-34 IP at Whiting and prior to that, IIRC was a USCG Helo guy. He seemed to indicate that there were quite a few coming in from the other services, albeit my info is getting on five-ish years old now.

Neat shots. The U-2 is one of those planes that has always fascinated me as much for the Kelly Johnson led engineering as the mission.

HuggyU2

None
And now airshow videos....
:)
I guess that video dispels the rumor that all U-2 pilots are suave, debonaire, and good looking. At least I don't speak with a lisp,... ah,... nevermind.
That high altitude radiation just can't be good for you over the long haul.

And thanks to all for the welcome.

SuperFly

pilot
Huggyu2,

Just got to ask....how did you end up in U2s. Was it what you wanted? Did you transition from another platform?

HuggyU2

None
....how did you end up in U2s. Was it what you wanted? Did you transition from another platform?
Check out the link on page 2 of this thread. The U-2 program is sort of jokingly called "the land of misfit toys". No one comes here right out of pilot training, since you need 800-1300 hours of time, depending on your background. Most new guys have 7-8 years of flying experience when they show. But we get guys as young as 4 years (that's only 3 with wings on their chest).
They come from every background we've got in the USAF. We've also got pilots from: Coast Guard C-130, Navy T-34, SH-60, P-3, C-2, T-45, F-18, F-14, S-3; Marine Cobra, F-18, C-46,... we just got our first two Harrier bubbas this month too. A very unusual mix.
As for me, I was a T-38 FAIP,... "sergrad" in Navy speak. Like most T-38 pilots prior to me, I thought I'd get a fighter. Well, the USAF was drawing down fighters in a big way when I came up for assignment. I ran into a U-2 pilot, learned about the program (I didn't even know it was a possibility), applied, interviewed,... and here I am. After 4 years in the Deuce, I sort of burned out, and I volunteered for a T-38 tour at Randolph for 3 years, but came back to the U-2 after that for 3 1/2 more years.
I got out of the USAF for two years, but really missed the U-2, so I came back on active duty, and have been in the U-2 ever since.
I really love it, but it is definitely not for everyone. It's very much out of the mainstream, but that appeals to a number of us.

Reactions: pat

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah I randomly chatted with an AF Viper pilot a few weeks back and he said that a good portion of the AF jet students who graduated recently and thought they would be flying "jets" ended up selecting into......UAV's. According to him, it was temporary duty while they were stashed awaiting whatever the AF version of the FRS is, but he also seemed to think that it was kind of up in the air if they would ever actually leave the UAV thing in spite of their previous orders. Any truth to this? Your story just reminded me of that story....

Oh yeah, shouldn't huggyu2 get some silver wings too?

HuggyU2

None
MIDNJAC,
Being out of the mainstream, I'm not "in" on the details of this drawdown of fighter pilots. But, yes,... it's apparently getting ugly. Word is that many fighter pilots are going to Predator/Reaper, and many are going to Special Ops Command. Do a google search on "TAMI 21": that's the USAF "program" to "adjust" overmanned career fields.
As you've probably figured out, I'm the USAF's recruiter for the U-2 program, so I do get the vantage point of seeing where the movement is coming from with the pilot community. I'm starting to get fighter guys calling me about transitioning to the U-2. It seems that there are fewer and fewer slots for those pilots; particularly fighter guys leaving the F-117, or coming off of a one year remote, or out of the Training Command, etc...
Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see guys get 200-400 hours in an F-16, and never see a fighter again until they were a senior O-4. That's where we (the USAF) are going. My opinion,... with lots of flaws and unknowns.

HuggyU2

None
Here's the one I was looking for. Found it in my backup hard drive. You'll notice there are only 2 MFD's in the jet. We now have three: the old RWR scope on the right has been replaced. Note the Garmin on the left canopy rail, on the very left edge of the picture.
Taken over the 20,000' peaks of NE Afghanistan.

Attachments

• U-2 over Afghanistan.jpg
    U-2 over Afghanistan.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 464

East

东部
Contributor
Hefoe

Just curious; what kind of data is displayed on that left MFDU?
If it's classified don't bother to respond, but I am wondering if it's HEFOE data.

MasterBates

Knees in the dashboard. Looks like me flying most anything.

Huggy, that thing got an ejection seat? If so, how does that work with the yoke?

Until I just saw that pic, I thought U-2s had sticks.

HuggyU2

None
Each MFD can display any info. The display on the left in the photo is showing engine data: RPM, EGT, hydro press, oil press, fuel, etc... With 3 MFD's, most pilots put that on the right display. The center is your HSI/ADI and other Nav data.
MB, a big guy like you might have some issues in the jet, but most of adapt pretty well. Meat (if y'all met him at Miramar) is about 6'4" and 230. We've had bigger in the past.
The yoke is a C-130 yoke (or so I'm told), and when you pull the ejection ring, it stows forward into the recess in the dash before you go up the rails. Due to the amount of aileron throw we need in the pattern, Kelly's team figured a stick wouldn't be adequate.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Huggy, I echo what everyone else has said. I spent many, many days at Kadena in 1980-1982 while in VA-115 onboard Midway and, besides meeting many wonderful HABU wives, had a chance to watch both the SR-71 and U-2 take off and land on many occasions. Like many others who flew in the South China Sea and Sea of Japan airspace probably heard, I also had the opportunity to hear a pilot request a very high altitude and, after the controller said "if you can climb up there, it's all yours," respond with "roger, descending." A great aviation moment.

We can discuss HABU wives any time!