• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

U-2 Pictures, as requested

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Yes,... I'm sure you can. I always heard there were some stories out there.

The bartenders at the Kadena O'Club were always happy to point them out....Just as the bartender at the NAF Atsugi O'Club was always happy to point out the Midway or CVW-5 wives!

Recidivist

How much longer would you expect the U2 to be up in the air?

From a design standpoint, I think the U2 is one of the cooler airplanes ever designed (the SR-71 definitely wins kudos as well).

HuggyU2

None
How much longer would you expect the U2 to be up in the air?
I'll avoid a 4-page thesis on this. Bottom line, the U-2 is scheduled to be done Oct 2012. HOWEVER,... as the 2010 budget is built and finished, expect to see it slipped another year. And a year from now, I wouldn't be surprised to see this process repeat.
Personally, I'd guess 2015.
NASA might fly it longer, but if the USAF closes Palmdale (where our heavy maintenance is done), that could also sink any plans NASA has to fly their 2 planes.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I'll avoid a 4-page thesis on this. Bottom line, the U-2 is scheduled to be done Oct 2012. HOWEVER,... as the 2010 budget is built and finished, expect to see it slipped another year. And a year from now, I wouldn't be surprised to see this process repeat.
Personally, I'd guess 2015.
NASA might fly it longer, but if the USAF closes Palmdale (where our heavy maintenance is done), that could also sink any plans NASA has to fly their 2 planes.

Is there a super duper secret aircraft flying that we dont know about that will replace it? (dont worry I wont tell anyone)

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Here's the one I was looking for. Found it in my backup hard drive. You'll notice there are only 2 MFD's in the jet. We now have three: the old RWR scope on the right has been replaced. Note the Garmin on the left canopy rail, on the very left edge of the picture.
Taken over the 20,000' peaks of NE Afghanistan.

I was wondering who did that Tomcat Rockshow video... one of the better ones out there IMO.

That center console almost looks like the Garmin 1000 displays. Looks pretty nice.

I guess anytime you're up high, and flying in class E airspace, life is good right? ;)

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
maybe like this??
slide4_qjpreviewth.jpg

HuggyU2

None
Is there a super duper secret aircraft flying that we dont know about that will replace it? (dont worry I wont tell anyone)
EVERYBODY ELSE, IGNORE THIS!!!
Whitesoxnation, yes, there is something else. I'm going to train with them when I retire. It's a purely civilian gig, but you have to have "spacecraft, multi-plasma-thrust engines" on your FAA certificate.

HuggyU2

None
I was wondering who did that Tomcat Rockshow video... one of the better ones out there IMO.
"Meat" Broce, who I referred to in a couple of other threads, did the video years ago. You should see his current stuff done with his HD camera!!

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
EVERYBODY ELSE, IGNORE THIS!!!
Whitesoxnation, yes, there is something else. I'm going to train with them when I retire. It's a purely civilian gig, but you have to have "spacecraft, multi-plasma-thrust engines" on your FAA certificate.

Are you a CFI can you teach me?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Huggy,
Awesome pics, thanks for sharing....I am offically jealeous!

One question: How the hell do you scratch an itch on your face at altitude.....I'm sure those helmets aren't fun.

-ea6bflyr