• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

U.S.S. Gerald Ford?

Super Hornet 88

dodge said:
We should re-christen the USS America and USS United Staes name, and bring back some of the old school names like ranger and hornet. Freedom and Independence would also be good ones, albeit somewhat copied from a Michael Bay movie.

Freedom is already being used by LCS-1.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
Super Hornet 88 said:
Freedom is already being used by LCS-1.

damn. well, i'll have to go with my second choice: the USS Ann Coulter. It will inspire fear in muslim extremists everywhere.
shirtsquare-coulter.jpg
square-large-coulter.jpg

the Invincible, Dreadnaught, Scorpion, Victorious, Devestation, Valient, etc.

those sound kinda british...

besides every person I've talked to about going to the ship hates being on a carrier...so who the hell cares what they decide to name it..

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
DanMav1156 said:
The USS United States wouldn't be used so that if it were ever to sink no one would ever be able to say they sunk the U.S., at least it's what I've been told.

The USS United States wasn't used because a bunch of idiots in the Chair Force convinced then-SecDef Louis Johnson and JCS Charmain Omar Bradley that aircraft carriers were obsolete, and that they couldn't do anything that B-36s flying intercontinental trips from the US could.

The USS United States was cancelled shortly after the keel was laid down (1949, methinks), and the "revolt of the admirals" ensued.

Then the Air Force looked really, really f#cking stupid when
the Korean War started. The B-36 never dropped a bomb in any combat, while the Navy responded with carrier aviation to reassert once and for all that they could do the down-and-dirty...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
dodge said:
damn. well, i'll have to go with my second choice: the USS Ann Coulter. It will inspire fear in muslim extremists everywhere.
shirtsquare-coulter.jpg
square-large-coulter.jpg

Yeah, real classy.......:icon_roll

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Does the USS United States (United States Ship United States) seem a little redundant to anybody else?

BlkPny

pilot
Some time back carriers were often named after famous battles. Saratoga, Lexington, Antietam. (In keeping with that, how about Chickamauga?) Don't know how we got into naming them after insects, like Hornet and Wasp.

B

Blutonski816

TurnandBurn55 said:
The USS United States wasn't used because a bunch of idiots in the Chair Force convinced then-SecDef Louis Johnson and JCS Charmain Omar Bradley that aircraft carriers were obsolete, and that they couldn't do anything that B-36s flying intercontinental trips from the US could.

The USS United States was cancelled shortly after the keel was laid down (1949, methinks), and the "revolt of the admirals" ensued.

Then the Air Force looked really, really f#cking stupid when
the Korean War started. The B-36 never dropped a bomb in any combat, while the Navy responded with carrier aviation to reassert once and for all that they could do the down-and-dirty...

The funny thing is that they were gonna name CVN-75 the United States at one point, until they settled for Harry S. Truman.

And it was during Truman's Time in office that the orignal United States
was cancelled...
So Truman sunk the United States twice...

pdx

HSM Pilot
I am all for bringing back ship names from the past. Just like squadrons, ship names that have proud histories shouldn't be left vacant.

Also, what about John Stennis? I know he helped get senate funding for the Navy, but why is one of the most important boats in the US Navy named after him? As far as I can recall, he was a career lawyer/politician with zero military service.