• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

U.S.S. Gerald Ford?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
pdx said:
I am all for bringing back ship names from the past. Just like squadrons, ship names that have proud histories shouldn't be left vacant.

Also, what about John Stennis? I know he helped get senate funding for the Navy, but why is one of the most important boats in the US Navy named after him? As far as I can recall, he was a career lawyer/politician with zero military service.

The same reason there is a USS Carl Vinson, USS G.H.W. Bush, etc. Politics. Personally I think it would be better to name those after Founding Fathers. Wasn't there a USS John Hancock once upon a time? Not to mention a Benjamin Franklin? Personally I'd take a USS James Madison, Ethan Allen or Alexander Hamilton over Gerald Ford.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
nittany03 said:
The same reason there is a USS Carl Vinson, USS G.H.W. Bush, etc. Politics. Personally I think it would be better to name those after Founding Fathers. Wasn't there a USS John Hancock once upon a time? Not to mention a Benjamin Franklin? Personally I'd take a USS James Madison, Ethan Allen or Alexander Hamilton over Gerald Ford.

Agreed about the Founding Fathers, but George H.W. Bush was a Navy pilot shot down in WWII... was rescued by a sub. I've seen the video of it, it's pretty cool. I'll find the story somewhere...

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Biography of George H.W. Bush from the White House:
On his 18th birthday he enlisted in the armed forces. The youngest pilot in the Navy when he received his wings, he flew 58 combat missions during World War II. On one mission over the Pacific as a torpedo bomber pilot he was shot down by Japanese antiaircraft fire and was rescued from the water by a U. S. submarine. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for bravery in action.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
DocT said:
Does the USS United States (United States Ship United States) seem a little redundant to anybody else?

There actually was a SS United States. It was the first nuclear powered cruise ship. The last time I saw it was in the mothball piers at Norfolk. Not sure what happened to it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
There actually was a SS United States. It was the first nuclear powered cruise ship. The last time I saw it was in the mothball piers at Norfolk. Not sure what happened to it.

Nuclear powered cruise ship? Considering some of the crews manning today's cruise ships, I'm glad it's in mothballs...

Pugs

Back from the range
None
gatordev said:

I think you're confusing the SS United States with the NS Savannah

http://www.radiationworks.com/NSSavannah.htm

The United States was turbines but had eight forster-wheeler boilers to provide the steam

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Crap, that's right. I was skimming the United States' blurb and read what I wanted to read. Thanks for the correction. That's right, when I saw the Savananah she was in Charleston next to the Yorktown.

Pags

N/A
pilot
BlkPny said:
Some time back carriers were often named after famous battles. Saratoga, Lexington, Antietam. (In keeping with that, how about Chickamauga?) Don't know how we got into naming them after insects, like Hornet and Wasp.
I think the famous battles link comes from the early carriers having a cruiser heritage...as I'm sure you know, Sara and Lady Lex were supposed to be cruisers, but were finished as carriers. I've heard that that's where CV came from as well...as in Cruiser Fixed Wing following the CL and CA trend, back when carriers were intended as scout units for the battle line.

And Hornet and Wasp are traditional US warship names, dating back to the Revolutionary War.

pdx

HSM Pilot
I think Oprah is rich enough to sponsor a warship, so it could happen. Something about calling Oprah "mother" makes me queasy.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
pdx said:
I think Oprah is rich enough to sponsor a warship, so it could happen. Something about calling Oprah "mother" makes me queasy.
Better than the USS Rosa Parks.

Brett

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
USS Smackdown
USS Skim
USS WE RULE THE SCHOOL
USS VILLAGE PEOPLE (they did write a song for us)
USS DESTRO
USS BOO-YA

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
DanMav1156 said:
...but Ford? Maybe I don't know all that much about him, but he was a LCDR in WWII, but other than that, what other ties does he have to the military, that another LCDR during WWII who may have served more honorably doesn't have?
Oh, I don't know...how about being the Commander in Chief? Just stating the obvious but I agree, not a carrier-worthy President.