• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

U.S.S. Gerald Ford?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
makana said:
Oh, I don't know...how about being the Commander in Chief? Just stating the obvious but I agree, not a carrier-worthy President.

If that's the case, why doesn't every President have a carrier named after him? Even though the President is the Commander in Chief, he's still a civilian. My point is with what you agree with me, I don't think Gerald Ford deserves to have a carrier named after him. Why didn't Andrew Jackson get one? The guy was a war hero and President (either very good or very bad depending on your point of view) but no carrier for him? Just my $.02.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Brett327 said:
Better than the USS Rosa Parks.

Brett

I hope to god that's a joke.

The ship naming system went to political hell many years ago. I think it was Adm Rickover who, when asked why submarines were no longer named after fish [makes sense, right] said,"Fish don't vote." So now cities', states', and politicians' names take a majority of ships.

Frankly, Gerald Ford is a great American, but I'm not sure he rates a ship. I'm a Republican, but even I don't think Ronald Reagan is in George Washington/Abe Lincoln company. We should go back to the original guidelines for ship name by class of ship. Also, before naming a ship after a person, that person should be dead for at least 10 years. It helps to have a little perspective before we go crazy over someone in a fit of appreciation.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I belive it's none. The Reagan was the first. And no, the McCain isn't named for the Senator.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
skim said:
USS Smackdown
USS Skim
USS WE RULE THE SCHOOL
USS VILLAGE PEOPLE (they did write a song for us)
USS DESTRO
USS BOO-YA

How about renaming ships after NASCAR drivers? LHD-2 (Essesx) could be Rusty Wallace. LHD-3 could be named for Dale.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Harrier Dude said:
How about renaming ships after NASCAR drivers? LHD-2 (Essesx) could be Rusty Wallace. LHD-3 could be named for Dale.
OR NHRA, USS JOHN FORCE anyone?? :D (about as big as his smile)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
macattack said:
Hmmm....so if we went back to battles, would we be seeing things like the USS Fallujah, USS Tora Bora, USS Medina Ridge, etc?
As discussed above, though, those would likely be cruisers.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
Harrier Dude said:

How about the USS Ricky Bobby? Anyone seen that preview, looks hilarious.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Constellation, Hornet, Midway, Independence, etc should be continued on.

Was there ever a Jefferson?