• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

US "violation" of Venezuelan airspace

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I assume this limited use means that SNAs can no longer select them?

Huggy Bear

pilot
We had a venezualan IP check into VT-9 as I was leaving the squadron a decade ago. I wonder if that exchange is still occuring? :eek:

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We had a venezualan IP check into VT-9 as I was leaving the squadron a decade ago. I wonder if that exchange is still occuring? :eek:

We did a portcall in Venezuela in 1984 while doing presence ops in aftermath of Grenada. A Venezuelan T-2 checked in with tower and asked permission for a fly-by. Turned out to be the other half of the exchange program (a US Navy LT). Not sure when it ended, but it sure isn't going on now. However, there is a former US Navy LSO working with Brazilian A-4 Skyhawks. Brazil is still very friendly to US and a much better liberty port. In Venezuela, the liberty buses had local sailors armed with Uzis protecting us on the ride to the hotel.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
what a beautiful target.

fav-su30-001.jpg

Are we doing VIS RECCE? If so: Flanker. Where's my prize? :icon_tong

-ea6bflyr ;)

Zissou

Banned
Brazil is still very friendly to US and a much better liberty port. In Venezuela, the liberty buses had local sailors armed with Uzis protecting us on the ride to the hotel.

Wartime Liberty Call in Brazil? Yes, sir. Please!

pirate.gif

And I thought the small, quiet war in the PI was a good deal.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Concur...they sure showed how responsive/capable they were if an aircraft strayed into their airspace and wasn't intercepted.
The airplane was probably below their radar and had the pilot not confessed it to the tower, they may have never known it happened. It apalled me when I found out who was flying. Sorry guys, cannot divulge that info but I guarentee you this, it will be interesting.

S-3 is in limited use slated for a retirement in 2009.
Sundown in December '08

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
The airplane was probably below their radar and had the pilot not confessed it to the tower, they may have never known it happened. It apalled me when I found out who was flying. Sorry guys, cannot divulge that info but I guarentee you this, it will be interesting.
If you have SIPR access, go to the Navy Operations Center page and dial up the OPREP/SITREP archive for yesterday for more details. Other than that, specific details of this incident should be left undiscussed for now.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My point exactly.

Ummmm, I think you are reading a little too much into this......this ain't the first and definitely will not be the last time a US military jet flies over a piece of land or water they are not supposed to. And most of the time it does not make the news.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Ummmm, I think you are reading a little too much into this......this ain't the first and definitely will not be the last time a US military jet flies over a piece of land or water they are not supposed to. And most of the time it does not make the news.
I know plenty of people who have had to debate which "black line" is the actualy black line. Chavez and Co. are always looking for a way to spin things in their favor.....that is what evil dictators do, spin things so they are victimized and plotted against.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know plenty of people who have had to debate which "black line" is the actualy black line. Chavez and Co. are always looking for a way to spin things in their favor.....that is what evil dictators do, spin things so they are victimized and plotted against.

Remember Kadafhy's "Line of Death"....