• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Kitty Hawk and the Hong Kong port call visit caper

Nose

pilot
Actually, the real ode to Al Gore would be slapping one of these:
image.cfm

onto the fantail by the droplights for all to see....

Any ship that carries anything that could be construed as "an ode to Al Gore" should be sunk. That ass-wipe and his buddy billy did more damage to the Navy then any enemy could.

Nose

pilot
Joe,

That's just damn scary that we thought of the same thing. I took longer to post it because of the link and all...

N

H20man

Drill baby drill!
Brett is correct (as usual), Carriers and surface ships use DFM (Diesel Fuel, Marine), which is a blend of diesel fuel that is essentially the same as kerosene to which high-boiling-point fractions/residual oils have been added. Jet fuel (JP-5 et al) is a more refined type of kerosene consisting of 53% C9-C16 paraffins, 31% cycloparaffins, 16% aromatics, and less than 1% olefins.
DFM contains C9-C20 hydrocarbons with 13% paraffins, 44% aromatics, and 44% naphthalenes.

Give us fresh cookies and we'll fill 'er up. I love the smell of DFM/JP-5
n119901002_30106024_9860.jpg

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
Although it seems like a pointless excursion from the thread topic I'll take the time to answer.

When I read the phrase "diesel powered" in the context of a ship, I take it to mean a ship whose shafts are powered by diesel engines.

At best, the use of the phrase "diesel powered" in the article is inconclusive--is the writer referring to diesel as the main propulsion machinery, as opposed to gas turbine or steam turbine--or the type of fuel?

At worst, it's a poorly-researched attempt at technical journalism.

I'm not particularly worried about how much cred you're going to give me. I've got more time at sea showering in water mixed with DFM than you have on Airwarriors.:D

Happy Thanksgiving!

Nose

pilot
Although it seems like a pointless excursion from the thread topic I'll take the time to answer.

When I read the phrase "diesel powered" in the context of a ship, I take it to mean a ship whose shafts are powered by diesel engines.

At best, the use of the phrase "diesel powered" in the article is inconclusive--is the writer referring to diesel as the main propulsion machinery, as opposed to gas turbine or steam turbine--or the type of fuel?

At worst, it's a poorly-researched attempt at technical journalism.

I'm not particularly worried about how much cred you're going to give me. I've got more time at sea showering in water mixed with DFM than you have on Airwarriors.:D

Happy Thanksgiving!

Oh yeah? I got more time between the 2 and the 3 wire then you have flight time.

I got more time on a salt water shitter then you have sea time.

Your turn...

PS Thanks for esplainin the intricacies of Naval propulsion. +1 rep.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Russia is a... criminal organization... [with] nukes... we got more important things to worry about.

I wonder what the fallout would be if President Bush took out a political opponent with radiation poisoning.

I wonder how the world would react to massive demonstrations calling for President Bush to be declared permanent National Leader.

I wonder how the world would react to doctored elections in the US.

I wonder how the world would react if the US blackmailed other nations by price gouging fuel to Europe.

I wonder how the world would react to the US stoking civil unrest in other countries.

I'd say Russia is the perfect example of geopolitically stable country who has no ambition of expansion... I mean it's not like they are trying to take over the world...

Amen.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder what the fallout would be if President Bush took out a political opponent with radiation poisoning.

I wonder how the world would react to massive demonstrations calling for President Bush to be declared permanent National Leader.

I wonder how the world would react to doctored elections in the US.

I wonder how the world would react if the US blackmailed other nations by price gouging fuel to Europe.

I wonder how the world would react to the US stoking civil unrest in other countries.

I'd say Russia is the perfect example of geopolitically stable country who has no ambition of expansion... I mean it's not like they are trying to take over the world...

Please, you are making me laugh!! :D

Santa might actually be threatened if the Russians actually had something to back it up with.........like a Navy, or even an Air Force......that is actually worth a damn.

Rhetoric, and very little action. That is what you see out of Russia nowadays. Not much else to it.........:sleep_125

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Rhetoric, and very little action. That is what you see out of Russia nowadays. Not much else to it.........:sleep_125

Don't forget mail-order brides.. can't forget them..

Other than that, spot on.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Please, you are making me laugh!! :D

Santa might actually be threatened if the Russians actually had something to back it up with.........like a Navy, or even an Air Force......that is actually worth a damn.

:confused::confused::confused:5 out of 6 of those points were actions... will they have to invade Poland before we see them as a threat?

If 4GW (4th Generation Warfare) has taught us anything, it is that military parity does not need to be achieved for an actor to be a credible threat...