• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Kitty Hawk and the Hong Kong port call visit caper

Fred

See ... that's where you lost your power AND your opportunity. You could have brought those little Godless, atheistic commies to their knees ....

WITHHOLD YOUR SHOPPING SPREE !!! :eek:

Game over. The war is won ... :)

The Brits still owned it at the time. :D

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
And it does WONDERS for the drinking water!!! You boys who ride around on nukes have no idea .... :)

While in Det 5 as a crewman, I spent the night from time to time on the Kitty and when you take a shower, you can smell the fuel in the water and thats what you smell like when your done.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I've got more time at sea showering in water mixed with DFM than you have on Airwarriors.:D
At least you got showers......try cruising on the JFK........4 days without a shower, 130+ degrees on the flightdeck, 7 flights, 4 of which were double cycles, oh yeah 3 Admirals, 3 CV CO's, and 3 Tomcat Skippers!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Soylent Green and "furniture"

Joe,

That's just damn scary that we thought of the same thing. I took longer to post it because of the link and all...

N

Great link! I used Soylent Green reference* whenever one of my friends was an Aide and his Admiral got orders.

*So, you're just "furniture" now waiting to see if new owner wants to keep you? (a la Heston's comment to Leigh Taylor-Young when he checks out scene of murder and finds her in apartment)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
:confused::confused::confused:5 out of 6 of those points were actions... will they have to invade Poland before we see them as a threat?

If 4GW (4th Generation Warfare) has taught us anything, it is that military parity does not need to be achieved for an actor to be a credible threat...

How many of those actions can be definitively be traced back to the Russian government? The only one you can with any certainty is the oil stuff, and that is because the executives of Gazprom and the other oil companies are current or very recent government officials.

The poisoning could have easily been by non-government rivals/criminals, though it is hard to separate the criminals from the officials over there. The protests could be backed by oligarchs trying to curry Putin's favor. Doctored elections are a domestic issue. The fact that Russians are behind the Georgian are only speculation from the media, you really want to depend on that? And Oh My God!!!! They planted a metal flag on the bottom of the ocean!!!! Runn!!!!!

Everything I have read from good sources and by smarter people than me depicts a Russia that is a broken shell of a country with a leadership and a populace that yearns for the 'good ol' days' of the USSR that really weren't that good to begin with. If Russia is such a great country with a lot of potential name one thing they produce, other than liquor and military equipment, that is competitive on the open market.

As for your point about 4th generation warfare. If anything, it has taught us to be more wary/scared of non-state actors than state ones.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
And Oh My God!!!! They planted a metal flag on the bottom of the ocean!!!! Runn!!!!!.
They should have just painted an Akula red with a Hammer and Sickle and sunk it on the ocean floor. Then they could have called it occupied.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
Oh.. BTW.. you all might not realize it.. but it IS the LAST non-nuke Carrier out there... It's funny how the Japanese trust our nuke's more the good ole' Jacksonville, FL....

EM1

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
While in Det 5 as a crewman, I spent the night from time to time on the Kitty and when you take a shower, you can smell the fuel in the water and thats what you smell like when your done.

Can't say I ever noticed that w/ the showers......though I could taste it in the water for whatever reason.

Lawman

None
They should have just painted an Akula red with a Hammer and Sickle and sunk it on the ocean floor. Then they could have called it occupied.

Lord knows the Russians have put enough subs on the Ocean floor they dont need another one. ;)

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
MIDNJAC, when did you have the pleasure of serving on the Kitty? I was in Det 5 supporting that boat from 02-05.

How many of those actions can be definitively be traced back to the Russian government? The only one you can with any certainty is the oil stuff, and that is because the executives of Gazprom and the other oil companies are current or very recent government officials.

The poisoning could have easily been by non-government rivals/criminals, though it is hard to separate the criminals from the officials over there. The protests could be backed by oligarchs trying to curry Putin's favor. Doctored elections are a domestic issue. The fact that Russians are behind the Georgian are only speculation from the media, you really want to depend on that? And Oh My God!!!! They planted a metal flag on the bottom of the ocean!!!! Runn!!!!!

Everything I have read from good sources and by smarter people than me depicts a Russia that is a broken shell of a country with a leadership and a populace that yearns for the 'good ol' days' of the USSR that really weren't that good to begin with. If Russia is such a great country with a lot of potential name one thing they produce, other than liquor and military equipment, that is competitive on the open market.

As for your point about 4th generation warfare. If anything, it has taught us to be more wary/scared of non-state actors than state ones.

It's very naive to assume that actions which would only benefit the government have been committed by non-government rivals. As for "the good ol' days", I seem to recall there was a similar sense of nostalgia and humiliation in Germany during the 1920-30s. Don't think that a disgraced country that has proved it has the power for corruption, imperialism, and evil is in no way a threat to us in the future. I'm not trying to divert attention away from America's current enemies but it is incredibly foolish to ignore their increasing distance from Western civilization.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
If Russia is such a great country with a lot of potential name one thing they produce, other than liquor and military equipment, that is competitive on the open market.

It's precisely because Russia is not competitive that they resort to economic bullying. Three examples:
  • In order to combat Poland's growing assertiveness wrt Russia, the Russians banned Polish Meat exports under the guise of "product safety." This action amounted to a loss of 8% of Poland's agricultural exports or $506 million.
  • A major part of the Druzhba oil pipeline running from Russia to Lithuania ruptured in July 2006, cutting off 324,000 barrels per day. Lithuania receives 90 percent of its oil from the Druzhba, which also supplied the the state's Mazeikiu Nafta refinery. The line and refinery also supplied oil to Lithuania's neighbors Poland, Latvia and Estonia. The rupture should have taken no longer than a few days to fix, but Russian pipeline company Transneft has said the repairs have been put off "indefinitely." The Druzhba's "accidental rupture" came during Russia's attempt to buy the Mazeikiu Nafta refinery, which Lithuania was looking to sell to anyone but Russia. To this day Lithuania must ship it's oil expensively from Russia...
  • Timber disputes with Finland, Sweden, and Germany; Russia is the world's largest exporter of cut logs and supplies 80 percent of Finland's timber imports, chiefly for the Finnish-Swedish timber behemoth Stora Enso. But in July, Russia announced it was raising the tariff on timber exports from $7 to $15 per cubic meter, followed by a jump to $75 planned to take effect before 2009. The extra costs have already caused a 20 percent drop in timber exports from Russia to Finland in 2007.
You too can stay up to date and informed with Stratfor's premium intelligence reports!:D

brownshoe

Contributor
Oh yeah? I got more time between the 2 and the 3 wire then you have flight time.

I got more time on a salt water shitter then you have sea time.

Your turn...
This is funny and friendly. Good shit!:)

Steve

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
MIDNJAC, when did you have the pleasure of serving on the Kitty? I was in Det 5 supporting that boat from 02-05.

I did my 2/c middie cruise drg summer of '05....cruised w/ you from Sydney to Guam. Great time....avoided the main spaces like the plague :)