• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Kitty Hawk and the Hong Kong port call visit caper

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I find it hard to (in the near future at least) fear any nation that lets its single most important strategic asset rot away at its moorings. Despite the very dubious nature of our relationship, it's still sad to see a once very proud navy sink at the pier IMHO.:(

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
So how does this make them a threat?

I don't think its the threat of the Ruskies becoming a military and economic power again as much as what they might do with their leftovers to bring us down a few notches ... they have been rubbing shoulders with some pretty shady dudes.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I find it hard to (in the near future at least) fear any nation that lets its single most important strategic asset rot away at its moorings. Despite the very dubious nature of our relationship, it's still sad to see a once very proud navy sink at the pier IMHO.:(

What, exactly, is its single most important strategic asset? Are the Russians aware of its importance?

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
What, exactly, is its single most important strategic asset? Are the Russians aware of its importance?
So Mister Putin are you aware that you have given up your single most important strategic asset?
orly.jpg

Yes really...

nowai.jpg

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough in my last post. Looking back, their oil is probably their biggest strategic asset, but the navy is also pretty important, right? Right.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Flash...you'd better watch out or you'll get a nice polonium and tuna sandwich...ala Litvienko.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... second instance of Kitty Hawk being denied port entry

And the 'Hawk is on the line, 46 years later .... my, my, my ....

Always a favorite of mine, Hong Kong (Fragrant Harbor), the Star Ferry, and a couple of USN tincans in better days ... HK island in the background prior to all the high-rise development one sees there today ....

dsc01992smallay3.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
More quotes from Admiral Keating in an article on the Hong Kong visit denial that includes mention another instance of US ships recently being refused a visit during a storm.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Chinese tell President Bush it was a "misunderstanding"

Latest reporting reveals Chinese response to direct question from President Bush.