• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where old planes go when they "die"

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Looks like you guys had a lot of fun with these last night... wish I hadn't signed off.

Pags

N/A
pilot
All right sports fans...here's one for ya:
247.jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
and here's another one:
do335_V9_06.jpg

and squeeze, i have no clue what that flying ****can is. obviously something eastern european that can probably be run on vodka and needs to be maintained once every 7yrs.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Aww . . . come on, that's easy! :) Vought F5U . . . an early STOL design which got trampled by the first jets and never put into service. Known as the "flying flapjack." Here's one that should look oddly familiar . . .

2723.jpg

Also, I believe the XB-70 was a casualty of the Air Farce deciding to go to ballistic missiles vice bombers as a deterrent . . . or is my sarcasm meter broken?

T-man

Ryoukai said:
First off, holy dog ****, I go to work for 5 hours and this has gone from three pages to eight. Wow.

Second, who wants to guess this one?
Mya-VM-T-Atlant.jpg

VM-T Atlant - A unique modification of the 3M 'Bison' bomber

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
A4sForever said:
Why did the Valkyrie die ... ??? Can't remember ... or what did it "morph" into ???

I think it died because in a flight test one of the chase planes crashed into one the XB-70s and it crashed, killing both pilots I believe. So they decided to ground the other one and killed the program. And the statement earlier about missiles probably had something to do with it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gregsivers said:
I think it died because in a flight test one of the chase planes crashed into one the XB-70s and it crashed, killing both pilots I believe. So they decided to ground the other one and killed the program. And the statement earlier about missiles probably had something to do with it.

The crash theory sounds very suspect. Back then, people weren't so ubersensitive about prototypes crashing because it was part of the business. I'd go for the shift to ballistic missile technology.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The XB-70 midair wasn't during the test phase; it was during a Lockheed publicity photo. It collided with an F-104.

T-man

nittany03 said:
The XB-70 midair wasn't during the test phase; it was during a Lockheed publicity photo. It collided with an F-104.

Yup! Only 2 planes were ever built. 1 went up for a photo shoot, and when the shoot was done, one of the chase planes tried to break off, and in doing so, got cought in the jet wash of the XB-70, the wash flipped the F-104 over the top of the XB-70, and clipped both vertical stabilizers off the XB-70. The F-104 exploded in a huge ball of flame, and the XB-70 appeared normal for the first few seconds but then went into a spin and headed for the deck.

Here is a good history of the XB-70 including details of the crash:
http://www.vectorsite.net/avxb70.html

I believe there is a video of the crash somewhere out there on the interweb, I'll see if I can find it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
squeeze said:
also... none of you clowns have gotten mine right yet... back on page 3
Looked on page three, found it on page 2 ---- I guess every computer is a little different page numbering with their screens ??? Page #2 on mine ... I thought nfo2b post #58 and (me) post #61 got it ???

T-man

Godspeed said:
Allright hot shots. Name this cockpit.

My first thought looking at the windshield is that the windshield looked an awful lot like that of a bomber... but that was only on turrets of the bomber. and bombers had more than 1 pilot, so... Based on what the windshield looks like, the angle of the windshield, and how few instruments there are I am going to hazard a guess... X-1?