• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where old planes go when they "die"

Driftwood

The pain train's coming! WOO WOO!!!
I'm sure as far as most of you are concerned, Hawaii is another country. That being said, it has its advantages in not following any particular rules or logic.... Squeeze in particular, Airwolf was the greatest television programming I ever beheld in my youth. Or now for that matter, and ran until the 91-92 school year in Hawaii. I clearly remember this because I was upset, nay, DEVASTATED that they moved it to 12pm when I was in school, and it became my treat or should I say...incentive to get sick. Then they canned it and my childhood from 5th grade on was a shambles. :(

As an aircraft how can you beat retractible guns, rockets or missles or whatever that quad launcher thing that popped out of the belly and blew up watch towers and made guys hiding behind jeeps leap 14 feet into the air? Not to mention any helo that remains airborn let alone the deadliest force on the planet with Jan-Michael Vincent behind the wheel has got to be one of the greatest pieces of machinery ever created. "....would you mind stepping over here son and blowing into this tube? No no, not my finger, the tube....."

Sylvester Levay was a genius.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ryoukai said:
^ If you want to start up a **** storm over Airwolf and my memory, be my guest. You're going to get clowned and then we'll all feel like idiots, only you more so for starting a **** storm about Airwolf. I can ask my brother for an exact year as to when we both remember sitting down and watching Airwolf on TV...long before the day of TV shows on DVD.

awww.
aren't you cute

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Driftwood said:
I'm sure as far as most of you are concerned, Hawaii is another country. That being said, it has its advantages in not following any particular rules or logic.... Squeeze in particular, Airwolf was the greatest television programming I ever beheld in my youth. Or now for that matter, and ran until the 91-92 school year in Hawaii. I clearly remember this because I was upset, nay, DEVASTATED that they moved it to 12pm when I was in school, and it became my treat or should I say...incentive to get sick. Then they canned it and my childhood from 5th grade on was a shambles. :(

Hey Squeeze, how's that giant plate of wrong taste? ;)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ryoukai said:
Hey Squeeze, how's that giant plate of wrong taste? ;)

I hope it feels so good to be right. There is nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?

still.... 1985.... good lord

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Yep...I'm glad you can see how old I am. Should I feel bad? I'm not sure where you're going with this one. Keep grasping at those straws, you'll get me one day.

There's no better feeling than pointing out the shortcomings of others when they made a big thing about how right they are. ;)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How about this one. While this one is in civilian duds it is a military aircraft.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
Holy crap!!..I'm away for one day and there's like 5 more pages of posts!
Anyway...my goodness..I had bet that the VP guys would get the T-29 homebase in a snap...A4 was close but here's another hint...if you VP guys don't get it on this one you need to buy all of us a beer!!!!

photo018.jpg

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
A4sForever said:
A friend of mine has restored -- flying -- one of these.

1234ac.jpg

I talked to that guy in the "Wings over Gillespie Airshow", I think he was an F-14 guy. I think that aircraft has a weird engine, if I remember well it has an opposite inline 22 cyl., 11 facing up, 11 down, I may be confused bit I think it's that one. Loudest piston engine I've ever heard, very high pitch but when it's flying it sounds like a jet (no kidding) until it goes overhead and you hear the typical piston engine sound...weird.

Pags said:
All right sports fans...here's one for ya:
247.jpg

This one would be a Martin AM-1 Mauler, I remember bacause I was a member of the "Save the last B-36" Assn. and the Mauler is one of the few aircraft with the same engine, I think it's the biggest engine ever ever used on a single engine aircraft, I think the engine was a couple of degrees offset.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cyclic said:
This one would be a Martin AM-1 Mauler, I remember bacause I was a member of the "Save the last B-36" Assn. and the Mauler is one of the few aircraft with the same engine, I think it's the biggest engine ever ever used on a single engine aircraft, I think the engine was a couple of degrees offset.

Nice catch Pags; I knew I'd seen that one around, just not in flight. They have one at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. The engine is definitely offset quite a bit, and it's HUGE. 4 banks of cylinders. I'd hate to think of the P-factor on that thing . . .

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Cyclic said:
I talked to that guy in the "Wings over Gillespie Airshow", I think he was an F-14 guy. .....
That's probably him .... the only problem is that he was an S-3 driver and he tells people in the civilian world/at airshows he was an F-14 driver ..... ??? Not to me ... 'cause I used to be his instructor .... but others who have flown with him on the airline have reported this .... :)

*edit* let me rephrase that .... if it is the same guy .... :) ... otherwise, disregard.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Aha! Another NA museum denizen! The F3H Demon, granddaddy to the F-4 Phantom.

Edit: I believe Ryoukai's is a Grumman Ag-Cat. They had one of those buzzing around Monroeville when I flew there in Primary.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not. For any number of reasons. Love waht you fly or transition or get out. I can think of few better ways to look like a deuchebag in front of studs than something like that.