• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

02AUG2021 Pilot/NFO Board

flatspinturkeyb

69 9/9/9 GPA: b4d
Your recruiter would have told you if Navy med decided you were medically disqualified.

1. MEPS doc heard a murmur and requested a followup.
  2. I went to the cardio consult and after having an EKG and echo the cardio doc told me verbally that I had "X" condition but it was within normal limits, he was medically clearing me with no restrictions, and that he'd be reporting this to MEPS.
  3. My recruiter informs me I've failed MEPS after this consult. I'm confused and frustrated because the cardio doc told me I was good to go.
  4. I fill out a freehand statement, almost like an appeal to the MEPS decision, and submit to my recruiter.
  5. poof magic
  6. My recruiter informs me MEPS has now cleared me and I'm good to go.

So at this point I would be very frustrated to learn that my application never made it to the board due to a medical disqualification but at the same time I wouldn't be completely blind-sided.

luckynumbr27

1. MEPS doc heard a murmur and requested a followup.
  2. I went to the cardio consult and after having an EKG and echo the cardio doc told me verbally that I had "X" condition but it was within normal limits, he was medically clearing me with no restrictions, and that he'd be reporting this to MEPS.
  3. My recruiter informs me I've failed MEPS after this consult. I'm confused and frustrated because the cardio doc told me I was good to go.
  4. I fill out a freehand statement, almost like an appeal to the MEPS decision, and submit to my recruiter.
  5. poof magic
  6. My recruiter informs me MEPS has now cleared me and I'm good to go.
So at this point I would be very frustrated to learn that my application never made it to the board due to a medical disqualification but at the same time I wouldn't be completely blind-sided.
You’re entire medical record gets sent up to Big Navy medical after MEPs, they are the ones who decide if you are medically qualified for Naval service in your chosen program, not MEPS. They’re the ones who give waivers and all the rest. I would be very surprised if big navy sent back that you were medically disqualified/didn’t grant a waiver and your OR just decided not to tell you.

Edit: @exNavyOffRec can shed all kinds of light on this situation

exNavyOffRec

You’re entire medical record gets sent up to Big Navy medical after MEPs, they are the ones who decide if you are medically qualified for Naval service in your chosen program, not MEPS. They’re the ones who give waivers and all the rest. I would be very surprised if big navy sent back that you were medically disqualified/didn’t grant a waiver and your OR just decided not to tell you.

Edit: @exNavyOffRec can shed all kinds of light on this situation
pretty much spot on.

WannaFlyHigh

So I attached the letter that my recruiter sent me after Navy Recruiting Command said my depth perception disqualified me from being Pilot (highlighted one). The second letter is the one they sent after I was retested and was physically qualified.

P.S. never trust MEPS DP test results. The doctor who retested me told my recruiter they need to fix the procedure at MEPS since he sees this issue come up a lot. Obviously my recruiter can't really do anything about it but I hope someone eventually gets a better system in place.

Tgonzo29

pretty much spot on.
This is very similar to what happened to me last year and I missed a board because of it. I called my recruiter on it. She gave me my file and told me to figure it out. I ran it by a friend at NAMI to verify, informed her CO, and had a new recruiter by the end of that day. Unbelievable.

flatspinturkeyb

This is very similar to what happened to me last year and I missed a board because of it. I called my recruiter on it. She gave me my file and told me to figure it out. I ran it by a friend at NAMI to verify, informed her CO, and had a new recruiter by the end of that day. Unbelievable.
Could you go into more detail or link to a post where you explained your situation?

Tgonzo29

Could you go into more detail or link to a post where you explained your situation?
My recruiter told me that I was qualified for all positions but pilot after MEPS. I had requested a waiver, and it said i was approved for Unrestricted Line, Restricted Line, and Staff Corps. (But not pilot). Pilot falls under the umbrella of those three. She misinterpreted that (apparently), and I missed the board. The only reason I was able to figure this out is because I've been through this process for a while having undergone lasik, and I knew that MEPS didn't have the authority to DQ me from aviation since there was no flight surgeon present during any part of my physical. I challenged her on it, checked with my contacts, and contacted the head of the recruiting office. This is where it is important to have a basic knowledge of this process. I am sure there are many good candidates who don't make it through because of reasons like this

flatspinturkeyb

...I had requested a waiver, and it said i was approved for ...
Did your recruiter submit this waiver to big navy for you, big navy responded 'yes' with a document, and your recruiter shared this document with you? I haven't seen anything like this with my own eyes, or anything like @WannaFlyHigh just posted. So I'm thinking this might not have taken place for me or just that my recruiter took care of it and didn't share the details along the way. I'm hoping for the latter.

GodSpeed1997

Hopping on this thread cause my recruiter submitted my package for SNA this board. Already have an OCS date of Oct 17 though since I got selected for NFO in May board and he said if I get Pro-Rec Y for SNA he can just switch my position but keep the same OCS date. Apparently I don’t have to decline my NFO acceptance for me to submit my pilot package for this board and can wait for results.

WorldWar33.3

SNFO applicant here.
27-year-old male.
GPA is 2.7 in Communications.
ASTB 5/6/6 on the second try (March 2021).
No waivers. Passed MEPS. Application submitted.

I fully understand that my ASTB scores and GPA are ROUGH to say the least. However my recruiter optimistically says "Yes! Let's submit it! Your application is good because the August board isn't as competitive as the May board because you're not going head-to-head with NROTC and USNA grads."

Can any recruiters vouch for this? I'm willing to roll the dice this time around and see what happens. I absolutely want to serve in the Navy. If I take the ASTB the 3rd time and not pass, then enlist, will I lose any chances of ever being an NFO? I don't want to miss out on an opportunity to improve the hell out of my scores, but I also don't want to diminish my chances of getting what I want!

exNavyOffRec

My recruiter told me that I was qualified for all positions but pilot after MEPS. I had requested a waiver, and it said i was approved for Unrestricted Line, Restricted Line, and Staff Corps. (But not pilot). Pilot falls under the umbrella of those three. She misinterpreted that (apparently), and I missed the board. The only reason I was able to figure this out is because I've been through this process for a while having undergone lasik, and I knew that MEPS didn't have the authority to DQ me from aviation since there was no flight surgeon present during any part of my physical. I challenged her on it, checked with my contacts, and contacted the head of the recruiting office. This is where it is important to have a basic knowledge of this process. I am sure there are many good candidates who don't make it through because of reasons like this
The people at N3M (aka N33) who can DQ you SNA or SNFO are also not necessarily flight surgeons, they can DQ you for some basic things though such as vision related issues.

NevarYalnal

I fully understand that my ASTB scores and GPA are ROUGH to say the least. However my recruiter optimistically says "Yes! Let's submit it! Your application is good because the August board isn't as competitive as the May board because you're not going head-to-head with NROTC and USNA grads."
Not sure what that bold part means. NROTC and USNA grads don't go to OCS, they're already commissioned. These boards are held just for OCS applicants...

exNavyOffRec

Did your recruiter submit this waiver to big navy for you, big navy responded 'yes' with a document, and your recruiter shared this document with you? I haven't seen anything like this with my own eyes, or anything like @WannaFlyHigh just posted. So I'm thinking this might not have taken place for me or just that my recruiter took care of it and didn't share the details along the way. I'm hoping for the latter.
99% of the time the applicant never knows about this because the letter comes in and is put in the application.

rtwodr

SNFO applicant here.
27-year-old male.
GPA is 2.7 in Communications.
ASTB 5/6/6 on the second try (March 2021).
No waivers. Passed MEPS. Application submitted.

Can any recruiters vouch for this? I'm willing to roll the dice this time around and see what happens. I absolutely want to serve in the Navy. If I take the ASTB the 3rd time and not pass, then enlist, will I lose any chances of ever being an NFO? I don't want to miss out on an opportunity to improve the hell out of my scores, but I also don't want to diminish my chances of getting what I want!
I’ve heard this before. So there might be some truth to it.

exNavyOffRec

So I attached the letter that my recruiter sent me after Navy Recruiting Command said my depth perception disqualified me from being Pilot (highlighted one). The second letter is the one they sent after I was retested and was physically qualified.

P.S. never trust MEPS DP test results. The doctor who retested me told my recruiter they need to fix the procedure at MEPS since he sees this issue come up a lot. Obviously my recruiter can't really do anything about it but I hope someone eventually gets a better system in place.
View attachment 31407View attachment 31408
I heard this quite a bit, however for several years N3M stopped accepting civilian depth perception or other eye exam results other than MEPS because they would fail MEPS, pass a civilian exam, then get to OCS and fail NAMI for the same issue. I lost track how many times this happened at my NRD.