• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

02AUG2021 Pilot/NFO Board

exNavyOffRec

SNFO applicant here.
27-year-old male.
GPA is 2.7 in Communications.
ASTB 5/6/6 on the second try (March 2021).
No waivers. Passed MEPS. Application submitted.

I fully understand that my ASTB scores and GPA are ROUGH to say the least. However my recruiter optimistically says "Yes! Let's submit it! Your application is good because the August board isn't as competitive as the May board because you're not going head-to-head with NROTC and USNA grads."

Can any recruiters vouch for this? I'm willing to roll the dice this time around and see what happens. I absolutely want to serve in the Navy. If I take the ASTB the 3rd time and not pass, then enlist, will I lose any chances of ever being an NFO? I don't want to miss out on an opportunity to improve the hell out of my scores, but I also don't want to diminish my chances of getting what I want!
your recruiter is an idiot.

OCS do not compete against USNA

USNA does not compete against NROTC

and NROTC does not compete against OCS

There is a manning document and each commissioning source gets a specific number of spots for each designator and this is estimated years out and it is finalized as it is closer to the commissioning year. There are some designators that don't get a big piece of the pie for some commissioning sources as NROTC and USNA aren't primary sources for designators like Supply, however they commission a decent amount due to people who end up not being PQ for other designators.

BDavis11

Contributor
SNFO applicant here.
27-year-old male.
GPA is 2.7 in Communications.
ASTB 5/6/6 on the second try (March 2021).
No waivers. Passed MEPS. Application submitted.

I fully understand that my ASTB scores and GPA are ROUGH to say the least. However my recruiter optimistically says "Yes! Let's submit it! Your application is good because the August board isn't as competitive as the May board because you're not going head-to-head with NROTC and USNA grads."

Can any recruiters vouch for this? I'm willing to roll the dice this time around and see what happens. I absolutely want to serve in the Navy. If I take the ASTB the 3rd time and not pass, then enlist, will I lose any chances of ever being an NFO? I don't want to miss out on an opportunity to improve the hell out of my scores, but I also don't want to diminish my chances of getting what I want!
If you enlist you would be cutting it very close to the age limit to even consider having a shot at trying again because you will spend time making yourself competitive at whatever command you end up making it to.

WorldWar33.3

your recruiter is an idiot.

OCS do not compete against USNA

USNA does not compete against NROTC

and NROTC does not compete against OCS

There is a manning document and each commissioning source gets a specific number of spots for each designator and this is estimated years out and it is finalized as it is closer to the commissioning year. There are some designators that don't get a big piece of the pie for some commissioning sources as NROTC and USNA aren't primary sources for designators like Supply, however they commission a decent amount due to people who end up not being PQ for other designators.

So I'm guessing what my OR was saying about the August board not being as "competitive" as the May board was a bunch of BS?

WorldWar33.3

If you enlist you would be cutting it very close to the age limit to even consider having a shot at trying again because you will spend time making yourself competitive at whatever command you end up making it to.

Thank you for the heads up. I didn't realize age would be a disqualifying factor if I would have enlisted.

GodSpeed1997

So I'm guessing what my OR was saying about the August board not being as "competitive" as the May board was a bunch of BS?
If he said it wasn’t competitive because you’re not competing against ROTC and Naval Academy grads then yes. No boards for OCS applicants compete against ROTC or Naval Academy grads, you compete with other OCS applicants

exNavyOffRec

That line is as old as a guy in a college bar asking a girl "hey what's your major".

each board is no more or no less competitive than the other, what makes you more or less competitive is the other people you are up against.

In some circumstances odd things could make a board more competitive, such as previous board cancelled.

WorldWar33.3

That line is as old as a guy in a college bar asking a girl "hey what's your major".

each board is no more or no less competitive than the other, what makes you more or less competitive is the other people you are up against.

In some circumstances odd things could make a board more competitive, such as previous board cancelled.

I'm glad to hear this from a recruiter with more than a few years of experience!

WannaFlyHigh

I heard this quite a bit, however for several years N3M stopped accepting civilian depth perception or other eye exam results other than MEPS because they would fail MEPS, pass a civilian exam, then get to OCS and fail NAMI for the same issue. I lost track how many times this happened at my NRD.

This retest was organized by my OR because of that rule of no civilian tests. The doctor who works at a nearby NWS was the one who administered the exam.

BDavis11

Contributor
Thank you for the heads up. I didn't realize age would be a disqualifying factor if I would have enlisted.
No problem. You are already 27. The limit is 32. By the time you go to boot and make it through training it’s easy to say you would be about 29-30 for the most part. Good luck getting your command to be behind you with an OCS app within your first two years there. Not saying it’s impossible but won’t be easy.

Navy21

OCS
Contributor
Hey,

So I was on the May board and got Pro-Rec-N. I just got off the phone with my recruiter and he thinks that I was pushed to the August board (He had thought that from the start, May results were a surprise/thought May was for AD).

Question: has anyone ever heard of this happening and/or experienced it?

Question: does anyone have the capability to check with the processor/command and see if someone will be on the “At-Board” early?

thanks

Scores: 58 8/9/8
Academics: 3.6 gpa

BDavis11

Contributor
Hey,

So I was on the May board and got Pro-Rec-N. I just got off the phone with my recruiter and he thinks that I was pushed to the August board (He had thought that from the start, May results were a surprise/thought May was for AD).

Question: has anyone ever heard of this happening and/or experienced it?

Question: does anyone have the capability to check with the processor/command and see if someone will be on the “At-Board” early?

thanks

Scores: 58 8/9/8
Academics: 3.6 gpa
I sent my application to Mr. Celesting (I'm AD) and he emailed me yesterday saying he was forwarding my app to the board. Nice scores too.

flatspinturkeyb

69 9/9/9 GPA: b4d
Does the SF86 security check happen before the package arrives to the board? If that holds up the process will the applicant find out why?