• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1Nov2021 SNA/SNFO Board

Adam80

Good morning -

I sent our fellow member who left for his cruise the list. He says congrats to everyone.

Also, I know many of you are looking to make improvements to your package. Let me take a look at your personal statements. I know how to make a great one. Let’s make sure the board knows exactly who you are and why the Navy needs people like you as an officer.

Shoot me a message and we can go from there.

Good morning -

I sent our fellow member who left for his cruise the list. He says congrats to everyone.

Also, I know many of you are looking to make improvements to your package. Let me take a look at your personal statements. I know how to make a great one. Let’s make sure the board knows exactly who you are and why the Navy needs people like you as an officer.

Shoot me a message and we can go from there.
I will definitely be interested in your help once I finish my statements. Thanks

Took a couple days off after seeing the spreadsheet come back Pro-rec no for my name. Received a phone call from my recruiter where they stated they were surprised I did not get selected for NFO. They ended up calling a processor to see if they could give me insight but said my package was overall pretty good and recommended I do not retake the ASTB in fear of doing worse.

GPA: 3.3 Political Science (Student government, multiple extra curricular programs in college including volunteer work, university orchestra) worked for the university as a grader and researcher and sat on administrative councils for the President of the University.
54 6-7-6
No flight hours.
No waivers.
3 Letters of recommendation (all positive of course).
Reapplying as soon as possible for the May Board if one still exists in the near future. I am going to rewrite my statement and try to find ways to bump up my ASTB. Also looking for more opportunities to serve since NFO and SNA are so competitive.

flatspinturkeyb

69 9/9/9 GPA: b4d
Took a couple days off after seeing the spreadsheet come back Pro-rec no for my name. Received a phone call from my recruiter where they stated they were surprised I did not get selected for NFO. They ended up calling a processor to see if they could give me insight but said my package was overall pretty good and recommended I do not retake the ASTB in fear of doing worse.

GPA: 3.3 Political Science (Student government, multiple extra curricular programs in college including volunteer work, university orchestra) worked for the university as a grader and researcher and sat on administrative councils for the President of the University.
54 6-7-6
No flight hours.
No waivers.
Reapplying as soon as possible for the May Board if one still exists in the near future. I am going to rewrite my statement and try to find ways to bump up my ASTB. Also looking for more opportunities to serve since NFO and SNA are so competitive.
I'm no expert but I'd say try for a 7 or 8 on the ASTB. Do you feel like you winged your previous ASTB or was that a pretty good score for you?

I'm no expert but I'd say try for a 7 or 8 on the ASTB. Do you feel like you winged your previous ASTB or was that a pretty good score for you?
It was my first time taking it and had zero exposure prior to. I did research on how the test would go and thought with the dexterity from playing music I would have a fighting chance. I never really had the opportunity to try flight simulators and I sparingly play video games. But I am more than willing to invest into a set of controls and a simulator in order to better my odds.

exNavyOffRec

54 6-7-6
No flight hours.
No waivers.
you have a 6 which is low and not great for trying to get picked up I would really look at studying and trying again.

SNA and SNFO are not really that competitive when looking at all the other designators, if you want to get noticed get an 8 or 9 on the FOFAR

you have a 6 which is low and not great for trying to get picked up I would really look at studying and trying again.

SNA and SNFO are not really that competitive when looking at all the other designators, if you want to get noticed get an 8 or 9 on the FOFAR
Thank you for your reply. Though my recruiter said not to worry about retaking I'm already preparing myself to retest. I agree that an 8-9 score will set me apart and I am more than willing to study and practice in any way possible. Do you think there could be any other way to improve my package (besides flight hours) to make it more competitive. I have already graduated college so that aspect of my package is already set in stone.

Thank you.

flatspinturkeyb

69 9/9/9 GPA: b4d

I guess I'm projecting here (and preaching to the choir) but I thought SNA/SNFO were everyone's dreams. What are the designators that are more competitive?

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for your reply. Though my recruiter said not to worry about retaking I'm already preparing myself to retest. I agree that an 8-9 score will set me apart and I am more than willing to study and practice in any way possible. Do you think there could be any other way to improve my package (besides flight hours) to make it more competitive. I have already graduated college so that aspect of my package is already set in stone.

Thank you.
The FOFAR is the best thing, it is all about the best chance of getting through flight school otherwise why even have the ASTB.

Val135

Thank you.

I was told not to retake my ASTB, not by a recruiter but by one of my mentors at my command, after not picking up the first time. I went from 6/6/6 to 8/8/8 and got picked up, that was the only change on my package. It is your decision in the end, but would you rather be told no again and then retake 6 months later and then have to wait for the AUG board, meaning waiting almost another full year.

exNavyOffRec

I guess I'm projecting here (and preaching to the choir) but I thought SNA/SNFO were everyone's dreams. What are the designators that are more competitive?

It takes a special type of person who desires to fly and fly military aircraft as the commitment is 10 years right from the start and so that right there has a lot of people not going that route. Aviation is also extremely forgiving on GPA, nearly all of the time if you have less than a 3.0 GPA other designators will decline you. If you look historically easiest to get into would start with SNFO, then SNA, and SWO with the others much more difficult.

One thing to also remember is many get DQ prior to applying due to medical, that also makes the board easier for aviation.

exNavyOffRec

I was told not to retake my ASTB, not by a recruiter but by one of my mentors at my command, after not picking up the first time. I went from 6/6/6 to 8/8/8 and got picked up, that was the only change on my package. It is your decision in the end, but would you rather be told no again and then retake 6 months later and then have to wait for the AUG board, meaning waiting almost another full year.
very true, and given the May board is very iffy why wait nearly a year to get another no.

bcal

54 6-7-6
No flight hours.
No waivers.
I had 53 6/7/6 but had flight experience. Maybe just get some flight experience?