• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1Nov2021 SNA/SNFO Board

krae3443

Took a couple days off after seeing the spreadsheet come back Pro-rec no for my name. Received a phone call from my recruiter where they stated they were surprised I did not get selected for NFO. They ended up calling a processor to see if they could give me insight but said my package was overall pretty good and recommended I do not retake the ASTB in fear of doing worse.

GPA: 3.3 Political Science (Student government, multiple extra curricular programs in college including volunteer work, university orchestra) worked for the university as a grader and researcher and sat on administrative councils for the President of the University.
54 6-7-6
No flight hours.
No waivers.
3 Letters of recommendation (all positive of course).
Reapplying as soon as possible for the May Board if one still exists in the near future. I am going to rewrite my statement and try to find ways to bump up my ASTB. Also looking for more opportunities to serve since NFO and SNA are so competitive.

I’d definitely rewrite the statement. You could always assess if the people who wrote the LORs really were the best choices. I got only one LOR, 3.88gpa combined between my two bachelors and masters. But had a 53 6/6/7 and got Pro rec yes for NFO. You clearly can’t change your gpa so if you feel like you could retake the astb and do better I’d say go for it. I think higher scores could help you stand out when considering some applicants may have a higher gpa. Flight hours are also an option to make you stand out. If you want help with your statement send me a message I’m off work today and happy to read over it.

exNavyOffRec

I had 53 6/7/6 but had flight experience. Maybe just get some flight experience?

I’d definitely rewrite the statement. You could always assess if the people who wrote the LORs really were the best choices. I got only one LOR, 3.88gpa combined between my two bachelors and masters. But had a 53 6/6/7 and got Pro rec yes for NFO. You clearly can’t change your gpa so if you feel like you could retake the astb and do better I’d say go for it. I think higher scores could help you stand out when considering some applicants may have a higher gpa. Flight hours are also an option to make you stand out. If you want help with your statement send me a message I’m off work today and happy to read over it.

A higher ASTB is more important especially if you look at the results, there will always be people who get lucky with a 6 who have flight experience, just like those who have a 6 without flight experience but that is the exception rather than the rule.

When you look at the difference between those with and without flight experience who were picked for SNA or SNFO the average PFAR and FOFAR is statistically insignificant if at all.

They rarely look at statements and LOR's, if they do that probably means you have a waiver issue or low scores that put you on the bubble, better to retest get higher scores and not be on the bubble.

A 7 on FOFAR with the number they picked was a good spot to be in.

parthvader

unloadingforknots
Good morning -

I sent our fellow member who left for his cruise the list. He says congrats to everyone.

Also, I know many of you are looking to make improvements to your package. Let me take a look at your personal statements. I know how to make a great one. Let’s make sure the board knows exactly who you are and why the Navy needs people like you as an officer.

Shoot me a message and we can go from there.
I do not know how much weight mine had on my selection, but I was told by my recruiter that to not make it sappy. Make sure it is direct and projects confidence. It should not reiterate what is already in your application. I decided to talk about issues in the navy and how I can help address them through my prior service experience such as retention, squadron morale and improvement of maintenance training programs.

Do you think this is good advice to give to someone is going through the application process?

parthvader

unloadingforknots
Took a couple days off after seeing the spreadsheet come back Pro-rec no for my name. Received a phone call from my recruiter where they stated they were surprised I did not get selected for NFO. They ended up calling a processor to see if they could give me insight but said my package was overall pretty good and recommended I do not retake the ASTB in fear of doing worse.

GPA: 3.3 Political Science (Student government, multiple extra curricular programs in college including volunteer work, university orchestra) worked for the university as a grader and researcher and sat on administrative councils for the President of the University.
54 6-7-6
No flight hours.
No waivers.
3 Letters of recommendation (all positive of course).
Reapplying as soon as possible for the May Board if one still exists in the near future. I am going to rewrite my statement and try to find ways to bump up my ASTB. Also looking for more opportunities to serve since NFO and SNA are so competitive.
Most people always improve on their second try. Maybe it is something definitely to look into. I know getting flight hours is not cheap but if you have the means adding some to your package will be helpful, especially if you can get an LOA from your instructor stating you demonstrate good flying skills, adaptation to the flight environment and aviation knowledge.

parthvader

unloadingforknots
It was my first time taking it and had zero exposure prior to. I did research on how the test would go and thought with the dexterity from playing music I would have a fighting chance. I never really had the opportunity to try flight simulators and I sparingly play video games. But I am more than willing to invest into a set of controls and a simulator in order to better my odds.
Investing in a simulator will not be a bad idea. I did not have any simulator to practice on and I play my fair share of video games that definitely had a negative transfer for the test (I don't play inverted). But tips that FAITHBYFLIGHT had on his youtube video helped me quite a bit.

parthvader

unloadingforknots
Thank you for your reply. Though my recruiter said not to worry about retaking I'm already preparing myself to retest. I agree that an 8-9 score will set me apart and I am more than willing to study and practice in any way possible. Do you think there could be any other way to improve my package (besides flight hours) to make it more competitive. I have already graduated college so that aspect of my package is already set in stone.

Thank you.
If you have any reserve or guard squadron available in your area, you can call them see if they will let you intern or shadow them/work with them in some way. If you invest sometime with them, I am sure they will be willing to write you a LOA. I am just assuming but I think LOAs from aviators will hold quite some weight, especially military aviators. All my LOAs were from current Naval aviators and I am sure they helped the board look past my average ASTB scores.

FloridaDad

Investing in a simulator will not be a bad idea. I did not have any simulator to practice on and I play my fair share of video games that definitely had a negative transfer for the test (I don't play inverted). But tips that FAITHBYFLIGHT had on his youtube video helped me quite a bit.
I can't imagine trying to undo the muscle memory I have playing inverted! I'm so glad that's how I learned!

exNavyOffRec

I do not know how much weight mine had on my selection, but I was told by my recruiter that to not make it sappy. Make sure it is direct and projects confidence. It should not reiterate what is already in your application. I decided to talk about issues in the navy and how I can help address them through my prior service experience such as retention, squadron morale and improvement of maintenance training programs.

Do you think this is good advice to give to someone is going through the application process?

Probably not much if at all, but the advice he gave is correct nothing sappy and to the point, they don't want to hear your sob story they want to hear what you can do for the USN, sorry to say the USN looks at it as what they can get out of you.

krobs

Thank you for your reply. Though my recruiter said not to worry about retaking I'm already preparing myself to retest. I agree that an 8-9 score will set me apart and I am more than willing to study and practice in any way possible. Do you think there could be any other way to improve my package (besides flight hours) to make it more competitive. I have already graduated college so that aspect of my package is already set in stone.

Thank you.
Betters letters of rec. start networking get those high ranking recs

BDavis11

Contributor
I had a waiver when I enlisted as well. I just had to declare it this time, no need for an waiver.
did you do anything else other than declare it like mention it in the statement? Curious if not talking about mine in the statement got me.

Adam80

I would certainly agree with your approach. I think it is important to remember this is a job, albeit unlike any job you've ever had. Make sure you are making clear connections between your experiences and the job description. Identify the mission of the Navy and explain why your past experiences serve as strong indicators that you will succeed in the Navy and be the best officer you can be.

It's important that you ride the line between bragging and informing very carefully. Don't list accomplishments already noted elsewhere in your application just to pad it out.

BDavis11

Contributor
I was told not to retake my ASTB, not by a recruiter but by one of my mentors at my command, after not picking up the first time. I went from 6/6/6 to 8/8/8 and got picked up, that was the only change on my package. It is your decision in the end, but would you rather be told no again and then retake 6 months later and then have to wait for the AUG board, meaning waiting almost another full year.
what did you do to improve? I only have one more shot at it.

Val135

what did you do to improve? I only have one more shot at it.
https://www.proprofsflashcards.com/cardshow.php?title=_36014
I used these flash cards a lot to practice the UAV, also the compass trick where you make a compass with a piece of paper and put your finger on the heading and turn the compass upwards to determine the direction.
And then this game
https://jantzenx.github.io/ASTB/
Played a ton of it on the hardest difficulty with the audio going. Also played halo on inverted controls.
For the emergency procedures, just make sure to write them down during the test, make sure to get them right more than speed and after you reset make sure to center your gauges.
The OAR portion I studied a little bit just to make sure I didn’t drop that score.

I studied for about a month so I could resubmit for the NOV board.

https://www.proprofsflashcards.com/cardshow.php?title=_36014
I used these flash cards a lot to practice the UAV, also the compass trick where you make a compass with a piece of paper and put your finger on the heading and turn the compass upwards to determine the direction.
And then this game
https://jantzenx.github.io/ASTB/
Played a ton of it on the hardest difficulty with the audio going. Also played halo on inverted controls.
For the emergency procedures, just make sure to write them down during the test, make sure to get them right more than speed and after you reset make sure to center your gauges.
The OAR portion I studied a little bit just to make sure I didn’t drop that score.

I studied for about a month so I could resubmit for the NOV board.
Are the emergency procedures confusing? It seems like theres a very specific way you need to have your switches set in order for it to score properly? or am I thinking too much into it.