• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

22MAY2023 SNA/SNFO Board

FloridaDad

I’ve got a 7/8/7 on my first attempt as well. 23 years old. Considering a retake, been studying again for it. Didn’t study as much as I could’ve the first time and didn’t have any UAV or stick and throttle practice. Feel I can pull at least a 9 PFAR with more practice, plus I have 2 retakes. Very tough decision to make ?
Bro at your age just sit on that 8 and don't risk it! You've got time to wait this out!

Prox

SNA Pro-Rec Y
Personally I think I’m gonna apply twice for just SNA and then the third go around do 1-SNA
2-Supply. I want SNA, but I don’t want to be waiting around for years. If and 8 PFAR and a 3.9 can’t get me through then it is what it is
Just to be clear, they look at all the scores for selection and not just the one relevant to the position right? Given that my gpa isn’t super high, I figured I had a shot at least at FO but with a 6 for my FOFAR I’m not so sure that would carry me if my 7 for PFAR isn’t considered. Still unsure if I want to retake or not but I guess worse case scenario is that I just wait things out and try to slam out at least a bit of a masters degree.

FlyingGamecock

Just to be clear, they look at all the scores for selection and not just the one relevant to the position right? Given that my gpa isn’t super high, I figured I had a shot at least at FO but with a 6 for my FOFAR I’m not so sure that would carry me if my 7 for PFAR isn’t considered. Still unsure if I want to retake or not but I guess worse case scenario is that I just wait things out and try to slam out at least a bit of a masters degree.
From what I’ve seen, the most important is the score relative to the position, then the AQR and gpa. I’m sure the other scores do account for something but I’m not sure how much. But if someone had triple 8s I’m sure they would beat someone with an 8 and 7s

FloridaDad

At least according to what they say in documents, for SNA they look at your AQR, PFAR, and OAR. FOFAR isn't a factor and vice versa for SNFO.

Furnace01

Applying SNA 31Oct2022
legit question I didn’t study at all and got 7/7/5… does studying actually help?
I went in blind for my first try, got 61 7/6/5. Next try I studied for like 2 weeks and got 64 9/9/7. I know my score in the first one should've been higher (I messed up the PBM from not understanding directions), but I would say studying is probably worth it.

cjwinton01

SNA Pro-Rec Y
I went in blind for my first try, got 61 7/6/5. Next try I studied for like 2 weeks and got 64 9/9/7. I know my score in the first one should've been higher (I messed up the PBM from not understanding directions), but I would say studying is probably worth it.
ok alight time to hit the books so I hit this test outta the ballpark

pedrofuego

Are these boards only for OCS candidates? I'm NROTC, and from what I've heard/seen, OCS applicants have a much harder time picking up aviation slots than us MIDS. I'm just worried that the whole backlog in Pensacola as well as the pilot shortage is making the navy do this weird pendulum thing where some years they give out slots like candy and other years its a bloodbath. The guys in my unit that are graduating this year picked up pilot with 7/6/6 and 7/6/7, strong gpa. I myself am currently at a 7/6/8 (which I plan to keep based on the scores of people in my unit who picked up pilot over the last 2 years), and I'm curious if I'm competing against all of you OCS folks, or what the designated number of slots are for NROTC, and how similar those numbers are to the academy.

Biff42

I can’t tell bro. I’m not experienced in that field. I think it would depend on this next boards selections. If they start over selecting again then probably be back in the same predicament. But if they stick to the cutthroat style we recently saw then probably would get back to normal within reasonable timing. But again that’s just a guess. I’m 32 in June, so I don’t have many options left or time to wait really
Iam turned 32 in November so iam throwing everything I can for the July board

villo0692

Are these boards only for OCS candidates? I'm NROTC, and from what I've heard/seen, OCS applicants have a much harder time picking up aviation slots than us MIDS. I'm just worried that the whole backlog in Pensacola as well as the pilot shortage is making the navy do this weird pendulum thing where some years they give out slots like candy and other years its a bloodbath. The guys in my unit that are graduating this year picked up pilot with 7/6/6 and 7/6/7, strong gpa. I myself am currently at a 7/6/8 (which I plan to keep based on the scores of people in my unit who picked up pilot over the last 2 years), and I'm curious if I'm competing against all of you OCS folks, or what the designated number of slots are for NROTC, and how similar those numbers are to the academy.
they showed us the numbers a couple months ago, aviation slots are almost the same through all three accession sources. (Navy only)

exNavyOffRec

You would only compete against others in NROTC, with the exception of the past few years if a person had a PFAR 7 or over they had an outstanding chance of being picked up. The thing to remember is the pool of those that could apply for SNA at the USNA is a fairly constant number and the number they pick is fairly constant, but when you look at OCS the pool of those that can apply can vary wildly while the number they pick is fairly constant.

Prox

SNA Pro-Rec Y
Is this anyone’s second submission? I saw elsewhere on here that the OR’s really aren’t supposed to submit you to subsequent boards unless there’s some sort of improvement with your package. Just trying to be strategic and am thinking that if the May board is gonna be a slaughter regardless, I’d rather put in for that as is and retake the astb afterwards as the improvement for the next board. Wondering how common it is for the OR’s to actually hold submissions for identical packages.

mcwisconsin

Is this anyone’s second submission? I saw elsewhere on here that the OR’s really aren’t supposed to submit you to subsequent boards unless there’s some sort of improvement with your package. Just trying to be strategic and am thinking that if the May board is gonna be a slaughter regardless, I’d rather put in for that as is and retake the astb afterwards as the improvement for the next board. Wondering how common it is for the OR’s to actually hold submissions for identical packages.
me. My "significant improvement" will be graduating college. Because of this (and a few other reasons), I'm probably going to skip the May board and apply for July.