• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

22MAY2023 SNA/SNFO Board

exNavyOffRec

Usually the active duty guys/gals in here have more insight on the boards.
Generally they don't unfortunately, they get little help at their command and little communication from the point of contact at NRC, the only thing that can be beneficial is some have access to the dashboard, which if they know how to read it and understand what those numbers mean can help. Those applying via a recruiter are utilizing a person that should get updated when hard info comes out, they will get the emails from NRC about not only changes to goals but also upcoming changes to PA's and other source documents.

exNavyOffRec

Yeah I didn’t mean for certain they do. Sometimes they had connections us civ applicants didn’t. Through those connections within the Navy they were sometimes able to get the inside scoop…
Unless they happen to know one of a very small group of people at NRC they won't. AD are often told bad or very outdated info from their commands as OCS is a pretty overlooked thing in the fleet.

gtownjake

Does anyone have a link for the updated FY23 board schedule? I dug around for it but probably blew right by it. All I could find on MyNavyHR was the old version (13Sep22). Thanks!

gtownjake

What is the general consensus on how the board views current students? I don't actually graduate with my Bachelors until December of this year. Is this something that is factored in to consideration? Positive since it satisfies time in delay for OCS dates? Negative? Apologies if this has already been discussed.

ChandosT

Prior AME. SNA Board Applicant
What is the general consensus on how the board views current students? I don't actually graduate with my Bachelors until December of this year. Is this something that is factored in to consideration? Positive since it satisfies time in delay for OCS dates? Negative? Apologies if this has already been discussed.
Due to the time delay to ship anyway, it probably wont affect you at all. Just make sure you keep your grades up and graduate on time.

fnwaziri

Hey all, I am applying for pilot on this board and am putting my package together. My recruiter has told me that SNA applicants do not need recommendation letters for their package, but I haven't read about that anywhere here. I wanted to see anybody could confirm that with me here. Thanks!

mcwisconsin

Hey all, I am applying for pilot on this board and am putting my package together. My recruiter has told me that SNA applicants do not need recommendation letters for their package, but I haven't read about that anywhere here. I wanted to see anybody could confirm that with me here. Thanks!
According to some on this forum, the only important information on SNA and SNFO applications are the ASTB, GPA, and sometimes flying experience. Having letters of recommendation wouldn't hurt though. I think most people apply with them.

Boole

According to some on this forum, the only important information on SNA and SNFO applications are the ASTB, GPA, and sometimes flying experience. Having letters of recommendation wouldn't hurt though. I think most people apply with them.
Do these people also feel the "motivational statement" is not important as well? I don't have a great GPA 3.14, and my ASTB is pretty similar to what I see many people applying on the spreadsheet with (63 8/8/7). I plan to get flying experience this summer but cant before the board meets. Is there anything else I can do to improve my chances? Should I consider taking the ASTB again to try and get 9s?

gtownjake

Do these people also feel the "motivational statement" is not important as well? I don't have a great GPA 3.14, and my ASTB is pretty similar to what I see many people applying on the spreadsheet with (63 8/8/7). I plan to get flying experience this summer but cant before the board meets. Is there anything else I can do to improve my chances? Should I consider taking the ASTB again to try and get 9s?
Ive been told it is more of a tie breaker, they spend little time looking at each package and the highlights are the ASTB and GPA. They don't necessarily look at each applicants LORs or Motivational Statements as it would take way too long. Now if it came down to two people with very similar scores and GPA, and they can't take both, they would probably look at that sort of thing.

Its just my train of thought that the more complete your package is, the better it looks overall.

As for you ASTB, you and I are similar (you have me beat though), and I am certainly not retaking it until I hear a decision at this board. Even then, I may make changes in some other ways to my package.

exNavyOffRec

Ive been told it is more of a tie breaker, they spend little time looking at each package and the highlights are the ASTB and GPA. They don't necessarily look at each applicants LORs or Motivational Statements as it would take way too long. Now if it came down to two people with very similar scores and GPA, and they can't take both, they would probably look at that sort of thing.

Its just my train of thought that the more complete your package is, the better it looks overall.

As for you ASTB, you and I are similar (you have me beat though), and I am certainly not retaking it until I hear a decision at this board. Even then, I may make changes in some other ways to my package.
Things the board cares about ASTB, GPA, and if you have any negative issues that required a waiver.

Things the board doesn't care about or even take the time to look at LOR's, motivational statement.

When you take out all the admin items that happen the amount of time an application is looked at by board members is only 1-2 minutes at best.

Flight experience has no real impact, it can help you understand some aspects of the ASTB which could increase your score, but if you have an 8 go with it, don't risk dropping.