• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

22MAY2023 SNA/SNFO Board

nefalexa

Those of you that have flight experience, do you have your Instrument? Im a 100 hour Private, and trying to decide if getting my instrument is worth it considering what we are applying for. On one hand, this gives me an edge as a pilot (obviously) in the GA world, and may even give me confidence later down the road in Navy training. On the other hand, if everything goes as planned, I don't necessarily need to pay out of pocket to get the training as I would receive it later on.

Its a tough situation since its something that will boost confidence and acts as a "back-up" for lack of a better term. Otherwise Id devote those funds in other investment opportunities for my future.

Edit: I should clarify I have a general understanding on instrument procedures, charts, and have a basic level of training in that area. Id say what I know now would be enough to not make me scared of it later on...
If you’re not trying to go airlines in case navy doesn’t work out - don’t spend the money. If you’ll keep flying part time on your own terms - IR is a great safety rating to have just in case. Getting IR will not really help your chances with navy.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Those of you that have flight experience, do you have your Instrument? Im a 100 hour Private, and trying to decide if getting my instrument is worth it considering what we are applying for. On one hand, this gives me an edge as a pilot (obviously) in the GA world, and may even give me confidence later down the road in Navy training. On the other hand, if everything goes as planned, I don't necessarily need to pay out of pocket to get the training as I would receive it later on.

Its a tough situation since its something that will boost confidence and acts as a "back-up" for lack of a better term. Otherwise Id devote those funds in other investment opportunities for my future.

Edit: I should clarify I have a general understanding on instrument procedures, charts, and have a basic level of training in that area. Id say what I know now would be enough to not make me scared of it later on...

Flight experience is not required… it helps, due to the fact it shows you have a high interest in aviation and you’re more likely to pass flight school.

Spending more money for a higher rating will just hurt your pocket… PPL is good enough or even just 10 flight hours and you’ve passed the exam

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA

What can also happen is you build habits the Navy does not like, and you have to break those habits

gtownjake

Flight experience is not required…
If you’re not trying to go airlines in case navy doesn’t work out - don’t spend the money.
I am aware it doesn't play a major role in selection. My question more has to do with "what-if". I see myself flying for a career no matter what route, if the Navy somehow doesn't work out, Id like to have the jumpstart on it. I suppose I can wait and see what happens. Also, I understand developing these bad habits that aren't SOP for the Navy. I suppose my question is rather rhetorical in retrospect lol

smpl_dude

I am aware it doesn't play a major role in selection. My question more has to do with "what-if". I see myself flying for a career no matter what route, if the Navy somehow doesn't work out, Id like to have the jumpstart on it. I suppose I can wait and see what happens. Also, I understand developing these bad habits that aren't SOP for the Navy. I suppose my question is rather rhetorical in retrospect lol
So as someone who was selected last may, and is still waiting around to go to OCS, something I was told was "Don't put off your life waiting for the navy". If you want to learn IFR, then go for it. But don't do it for the navy, do it for you.

johnpauljones1776

Un-salted butter bar (non prior)
So as someone who was selected last may, and is still waiting around to go to OCS, something I was told was "Don't put off your life waiting for the navy". If you want to learn IFR, then go for it. But don't do it for the navy, do it for you.
There’s still people from November 2021 without ocs dates. And they might not get one until FY2024. Do not stop applying for jobs, do not put off your own GA flight training, and do not put life experiences on hold.

gtownjake

There’s still people from November 2021 without ocs dates. And they might not get one until FY2024. Do not stop applying for jobs, do not put off your own GA flight training, and do not put life experiences on hold.
Good point guys, I often forget that.

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
not really, it is the ASTB that is the indicator of the chance to get through the pipeline.
I don’t get how they figure that because on boards in 2021, people were getting selected for pilot that had 6s and 7s and now they’re supposedly only selecting applicants with 9s. I have a buddy that got in with the same score I have. But with how things have been going, it doesn’t seem likely that I would get selected for Pilot with 7/6/6.

I don’t get how they figure that because on boards in 2021, people were getting selected for pilot that had 6s and 7s and now they’re supposedly only selecting applicants with 9s. I have a buddy that got in with the same score I have. But with how things have been going, it doesn’t seem likely that I would get selected for Pilot with 7/6/6.
I have a 9/9/9 and am still worried about getting picked up with how brutal this current cycle is. There's such a back up that the Navy reasonably just doesn't want to add too many more people to the pile of those waiting. From what I've read this is the most difficult time to get picked up for pilot in over a decade.

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
I have a 9/9/9 and am still worried about getting picked up with how brutal this current cycle is. There's such a back up that the Navy reasonably just doesn't want to add too many more people to the pile of those waiting. From what I've read this is the most difficult time to get picked up for pilot in over a decade.
Yeah we looking at the past boards, it was a lot easier with lower ASTB scores. In the share point it actually has pilot listed at 0 applicants needed for this board. So not sure if they will even select for Pilot.

esmbenbenek

Yeah we looking at the past boards, it was a lot easier with lower ASTB scores. In the share point it actually has pilot listed at 0 applicants needed for this board. So not sure if they will even select for Pilot.
The share point breaks down how many spots are available for each board?

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
The share point breaks down how many spots are available for each board?
From what I saw, I’m not the best at reading it. But pilot and 2 others were red. Take what I’m saying lightly but it was last updated in March. Am I allowed to post a pic on her or would that be a “red flag”?

mcwisconsin

From what I saw, I’m not the best at reading it. But pilot and 2 others were red. Take what I’m saying lightly but it was last updated in March. Am I allowed to post a pic on her or would that be a “red flag”?
People have posted screenshot(s) of the sharepoint before, and have left them posted. I don't think it's a bad thing.

Just gotta be patient, it'll open up eventually and I'm only 26 and prior service so I have a while til I age out. NFO isn't a bad option but my heart is with SNA so I'll wait 5 years if need be.