• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

22MAY2023 SNA/SNFO Board

Since I don't want to work right now Ill try to kill a little time...

If you all get selected, what are your airframe aspirations/ preferences and why?

For me, the top spot is torn between Maritime (P8s and the last P3s) and Strike/Electronic Warfare. I love the Growler platform and its mission, not to mention fighters/jets is what everyone dreams of. The P8 has the best career transfer options but I think its dumb to base everything on what happens in life after the Navy. The E2 and C2 seem like a great middle ground, but to me it seems like they hold the negatives from the others. Helos haunt me in my sleep due to my height, but in all honesty they don't seem THAT bad...
I like F18s because I wanna go fast and have been unimpressed by the F35 program. I'd still be ecstatic if I were put in an F35, but it's not my preference.

gtownjake

I like F18s because I wanna go fast and have been unimpressed by the F35 program. I'd still be ecstatic if I were put in an F35, but it's not my preference.
The F18 is my favorite non-stealth fighter in the US inventory, and I agree the F35 just doesn't really feel exciting. Its a super advanced aircraft and capable beyond comprehension, but the Hornet just feels like a true Naval superiority jet.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
It was a different time, some selection rates were at 75% in the past. Several years ago we looked at quite a bit of data and 9's and 8's were a near lock for selection, 7's were 50/50, 6's were occasional and 5's were rare. There will be those with high scores that don't get selected but often there are other issues at play such as non-medical waivers.

Those that have flight training tend to do better on the ASTB as they have a better understanding of some of the questions, that can give the false impression that those with flight experience have a better chance of selection when really the flight experience led to better scores which led to the selection.

I have seen several who had multi engine ratings, CFI, etc.... who were turned down with 6's and 7's, while I have seen A LOT who had 8's and 9's who had never flown a plane before that were picked up.

What I would recommend is that anyone wanting to go SNA who has less than an 8 for PFAR keeping studying in case you don't get picked up and need to retake, I have given the same advice before the current situation, this is what I would tell my applicants and each one that eventually had an 8 or 9 was picked up.

Only a few years ago there was auto selection too, right? If you met a certain threshold you were auto selected

johnpauljones1776

Un-salted butter bar (non prior)
He was being constructive. You can’t count on this career when you haven’t received your pro rec Y. That’s actually really good advice, a job will help you forget about the wait and will make the wait seem like it goes by faster.

gtownjake

Hey now ladies and gents let’s keep the group cohesion and morale high and argumentative statements to a minimum…

How’s that sound? Sound officer-ey?

ScottL

SNA Pro-Rec Y
Hey now ladies and gents let’s keep the group cohesion and morale high and argumentative statements to a minimum…

How’s that sound? Sound officer-ey?
I've seen plenty of messes (officer, chiefs, first classes) that aren't able to get better because they're not willing to address work or life issues for fear of upsetting people. I'm not ragging on anyone because I don't like them, and I'm always open to discuss things without getting confrontational.
He was being constructive. You can’t count on this career when you haven’t received your pro rec Y. That’s actually really good advice, a job will help you forget about the wait and will make the wait seem like it goes by faster.
He was not. The way you explained it was both more respectful and insightful. If a new officer shows up in your squadron and asks what to do from his peers and gets "get your quals?" as a response, that's not setting them up for success, even if it's the right answer.

johnpauljones1776

Un-salted butter bar (non prior)
I've seen plenty of messes (officer, chiefs, first classes) that aren't able to get better because they're not willing to address work or life issues for fear of upsetting people. I'm not ragging on anyone because I don't like them, and I'm always open to discuss things without getting confrontational.

He was not. The way you explained it was both more respectful and insightful. If a new officer shows up in your squadron and asks what to do from his peers and gets "get your quals?" as a response, that's not setting them up for success, even if it's the right answer.
I understand what you two are saying but you’re trying to join the military. Be prepared to get your feelings hurt and bluntness from individuals who quite frankly just don’t have time for you.

Last edited:

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
I understand what you two are saying but you’re trying to join the military. Be prepared to get your feeling hurt and bluntness from individuals who qute frankly just don’t have time for you.
Coming from someone that has been in for 3 years. It’s going to happen all the time. You aren’t around people from the same town as you anymore. Instead it’s people from all over the world, with different goals, attitudes, etc. I currently work with an individual that seems to have it out for me and in some way always makes the comment that “oh he’s going to be an officer” or things along that nature. It’s obviously negative and comes off slightly jealous at times. If you easily get offended or your feelings get hurt, take this time to work on that because it’s just how it goes.

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
If you get selected and are given a date that is too soon to when you were expecting, can you request a later date? Just curious