• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

22MAY2023 SNA/SNFO Board

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
Just gotta be patient, it'll open up eventually and I'm only 26 and prior service so I have a while til I age out. NFO isn't a bad option but my heart is with SNA so I'll wait 5 years if need be.
I agree but 5 years is a long time to wait. It’s going to put you behind on career goals but I guess that depends on how long you want to do it.

gtownjake

All we can do is wait and see. BDCP aside, there may be a reason this board is even still happening. Most of us could just get pushed to a July Board, or they could pull another Oct22 on us. They may even know something many of us don't and know they can begin sending more people through again. The waiting is killer, but its all we can really do.

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
31 days until the board convenes and hopefully like the 3rd week of June for results to release. I’m trying to not think about it too much but hopefully the wait flies by

gtownjake

Only thing weighing on my mind is the time constraint between hearing the results from this board, and the deadline for the July board.

I have a semesters worth of classes (this semester) that aren't factored into my current kit, and I wonder if they would be enough for it to be considered an updated application. Otherwise, Id have to retake the ASTB and that would push me passed the deadline. Im sure many of you all are in the same boat.

Also, Im not counting myself out (although it looks like it), I just want to be ready for anything that can happen.

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
Only thing weighing on my mind is the time constraint between hearing the results from this board, and the deadline for the July board.

I have a semesters worth of classes (this semester) that aren't factored into my current kit, and I wonder if they would be enough for it to be considered an updated application. Otherwise, Id have to retake the ASTB and that would push me passed the deadline. Im sure many of you all are in the same boat.

Also, Im not counting myself out (although it looks like it), I just want to be ready for anything that can happen.
Since I’m AD I can only apply to this board for NFO, next board for Pilot and if not selected for either I would have to retake the ASTB and apply for both in October or I would have to keep my 7/6/6 and wait until next year which isn’t ideal.

Since I’m AD I can only apply to this board for NFO, next board for Pilot and if not selected for either I would have to retake the ASTB and apply for both in October or I would have to keep my 7/6/6 and wait until next year which isn’t ideal.
I'm biased because this would directly benefit me but I wish they'd give a slight bump to Active Duty and Veterans. They don't have to worry about us adapting well to military life and makes a culture of promoting from within. I mean I get that their primary concern is ASTB because they just want people to pass so no money is wasted, but I'd argue that veterans have a better chance at passing because we're used to the lifestyle. Although they have access to all the data and I don't so that's pure speculation.

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
I'm biased because this would directly benefit me but I wish they'd give a slight bump to Active Duty and Veterans. They don't have to worry about us adapting well to military life and makes a culture of promoting from within. I mean I get that their primary concern is ASTB because they just want people to pass so no money is wasted, but I'd argue that veterans have a better chance at passing because we're used to the lifestyle. Although they have access to all the data and I don't so that's pure speculation.
I agree, I’ve had pilots tell me I have a good chance because I’m AD but sadly that doesn’t really mean much. When you look at the selection list you see there’s only a few AD that got selected. Just hoping I can be one of the ones that does.

I agree, I’ve had pilots tell me I have a good chance because I’m AD but sadly that doesn’t really mean much. When you look at the selection list you see there’s only a few AD that got selected. Just hoping I can be one of the ones that does.
Well I hope to see you get it. And if you do decide to retake, don't be discouraged by not doing amazing your first try. My first attempt was a 4/4/4 and I'm at the perfect score now so it's doable

gtownjake

Well I hope to see you get it. And if you do decide to retake, don't be discouraged by not doing amazing your first try. My first attempt was a 4/4/4 and I'm at the perfect score now so it's doable
Thats actually very impressive. What changes did you make for your second attempt?

Thats actually very impressive. What changes did you make for your second attempt?
I spent a stupid amount of time practicing on the simulator. I had the ASTB simulator (well the Air Force equivalent because it was free on campus but it's nearly identical) and played a ton of War Thunder using a HOTAS. I kinda freaked out when I got a 4/4/4 so spent 2 months dedicating my life to working a joystick and throttle haha

gtownjake

I spent a stupid amount of time practicing on the simulator. I had the ASTB simulator (well the Air Force equivalent because it was free on campus but it's nearly identical) and played a ton of War Thunder using a HOTAS. I kinda freaked out when I got a 4/4/4 so spent 2 months dedicating my life to working a joystick and throttle haha
I got an 8 PFAR on my first, and I felt I did fairly well during the test. I played a lot of Playstation with inverted controls and used the Jantzin sim with a joystick for a few weeks before. I think the actual knowledge part is what killed me. Its not necessarily that I don't know how to do it, I just wasn't prepared to see the things I did.

If I need to take it again, I will definitely spent more time on user published sources rather than books like Barrons. Also, the emergency procedure section seemed to start quicker than expected and I missed some of the knob directions...

I got an 8 PFAR on my first, and I felt I did fairly well during the test. I played a lot of Playstation with inverted controls and used the Jantzin sim with a joystick for a few weeks before. I think the actual knowledge part is what killed me. Its not necessarily that I don't know how to do it, I just wasn't prepared to see the things I did.

If I need to take it again, I will definitely spent more time on user published sources rather than books like Barrons. Also, the emergency procedure section seemed to start quicker than expected and I missed some of the knob directions...
For the knowledge portion I just really took my time before guessing on anything. There were some I wasn't too sure of but just did my best to use process of elimination and make a well thought out educated guess and it appeared to have worked. I forget how much time you get but it's not like you get a bonus for finishing early so I took every minute I could. Got nervous at the end because I was unsure how many I had left and only had like 3 minutes to spare.

exNavyOffRec

I don’t get how they figure that because on boards in 2021, people were getting selected for pilot that had 6s and 7s and now they’re supposedly only selecting applicants with 9s. I have a buddy that got in with the same score I have. But with how things have been going, it doesn’t seem likely that I would get selected for Pilot with 7/6/6.
It was a different time, some selection rates were at 75% in the past. Several years ago we looked at quite a bit of data and 9's and 8's were a near lock for selection, 7's were 50/50, 6's were occasional and 5's were rare. There will be those with high scores that don't get selected but often there are other issues at play such as non-medical waivers.

Those that have flight training tend to do better on the ASTB as they have a better understanding of some of the questions, that can give the false impression that those with flight experience have a better chance of selection when really the flight experience led to better scores which led to the selection.

I have seen several who had multi engine ratings, CFI, etc.... who were turned down with 6's and 7's, while I have seen A LOT who had 8's and 9's who had never flown a plane before that were picked up.

What I would recommend is that anyone wanting to go SNA who has less than an 8 for PFAR keeping studying in case you don't get picked up and need to retake, I have given the same advice before the current situation, this is what I would tell my applicants and each one that eventually had an 8 or 9 was picked up.

It was a different time, some selection rates were at 75% in the past. Several years ago we looked at quite a bit of data and 9's and 8's were a near lock for selection, 7's were 50/50, 6's were occasional and 5's were rare. There will be those with high scores that don't get selected but often there are other issues at play such as non-medical waivers.

Those that have flight training tend to do better on the ASTB as they have a better understanding of some of the questions, that can give the false impression that those with flight experience have a better chance of selection when really the flight experience led to better scores which led to the selection.

I have seen several who had multi engine ratings, CFI, etc.... who were turned down with 6's and 7's, while I have seen A LOT who had 8's and 9's who had never flown a plane before that were picked up.

What I would recommend is that anyone wanting to go SNA who has less than an 8 for PFAR keeping studying in case you don't get picked up and need to retake, I have given the same advice before the current situation, this is what I would tell my applicants and each one that eventually had an 8 or 9 was picked up.
As always, thank you for the insight

gtownjake

Since I don't want to work right now Ill try to kill a little time...

If you all get selected, what are your airframe aspirations/ preferences and why?

For me, the top spot is torn between Maritime (P8s and the last P3s) and Strike/Electronic Warfare. I love the Growler platform and its mission, not to mention fighters/jets is what everyone dreams of. The P8 has the best career transfer options but I think its dumb to base everything on what happens in life after the Navy. The E2 and C2 seem like a great middle ground, but to me it seems like they hold the negatives from the others. Helos haunt me in my sleep due to my height, but in all honesty they don't seem THAT bad...