• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

22MAY2023 SNA/SNFO Board

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
I wish the Navy used PFTs as a factor in selection… I know specwar does because SEAL/EOD we’re my 2&3 options but I couldn’t submit my NSW PFT with my SNA packet…

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Are Marines any less backed up than Navy? I thought they went to Pensacola too so I assumed they would run into the same bottleneck.

More selective , not backed up. Definition of a solid packet is not all 9’s like the Navy. They look at you as a whole person not just the ASTB. You could literally get a 40 4/5/4 and get selected for a pilot.

Not backed up either, they said if I went to the Marine board in May, I would go to OCS in July. So it’s not backed up they just are more selective

FlyingGamecock

Marine route is my backup! Or enlisting and dropping my packet later on. Honestly I work in finance it pays well, but after trading for 4 years, working long hours and destroying my eyes I’m ready to get out lol. I could double my salary on the side in the markets and can continue to do so in the future
What kind of job in finance do you have if you don’t mind me asking?

Came into college wanting a career in finance, ended up not liking it how I thought I would. I’m much more into personal finance and FIRE

exNavyOffRec

Anyone looking into/actively pursing coast guard aviation? Recently started thinking about trying for a commission with them while I wait for the next SNA board if I don’t get picked up
I would search for some of the USCG pilots on here, the process for them to get to pilot is not necessarily straight forward, and not as easy as you think.
If that’s the case I’d definitely try the Marine route, they seem to prefer fit individuals above all else. (Scores aside)
If you can rock the PFT go for it, and if you like dirt, sand and other USMC stuff lol. they put a lot of weight on the PFT and you will see guys with the min 6 PFAR get in while those with 9's and lower PFT's get passed over.

I grabbed several who were trying for the USMC that just couldn't get the high PFT, one had a 9 and the OSO didn't want to give up on him but he could only get a 270 on the PFT. He had been passed on twice and then was picked up right away for the USN.

johnpauljones1776

Un-salted butter bar (non prior)
More selective , not backed up. Definition of a solid packet is not all 9’s like the Navy. They look at you as a whole person not just the ASTB. You could literally get a 40 4/5/4 and get selected for a pilot.

Not backed up either, they said if I went to the Marine board in May, I would go to OCS in July. So it’s not backed up they just are more selective
Marines flight training is just as backed up as Navy, they have the same pipeline. Only difference is they have basic (or whatever they call it) after OCS

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
What kind of job in finance do you have if you don’t mind me asking?

Came into college wanting a career in finance, ended up not liking it how I thought I would. I’m much more into personal finance and FIRE
College Finance is corporate finance usually... I was a BS economics, more analytical, stats, calculus... I wanted to use that to get into the analytical side of things. Graduated got a job at a firm with 7 Trillion under management (can't say the name on here). Passed my SIE, Series7(hardest test ive ever taken), and series 63. I execute trades for portfolio management, both on the fixed income side, and equity side of things.

Trust me college finance is 70% corporate finance, whole different game. Look for openings as an associate advisor if you want more of a money management type job, client relations (go broker-dealer side, or investments). Get your foot in the door stand out, and then apply internally to move up.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
I would search for some of the USCG pilots on here, the process for them to get to pilot is not necessarily straight forward, and not as easy as you think.

If you can rock the PFT go for it, and if you like dirt, sand and other USMC stuff lol. they put a lot of weight on the PFT and you will see guys with the min 6 PFAR get in while those with 9's and lower PFT's get passed over.

I grabbed several who were trying for the USMC that just couldn't get the high PFT, one had a 9 and the OSO didn't want to give up on him but he could only get a 270 on the PFT. He had been passed on twice and then was picked up right away for the USN.
They have an ASTB waiver as well for guys who rock the PFT, if you don't meet the minimum they do a 1-point waiver to boost your score to meet the minimum.

exNavyOffRec

They have an ASTB waiver as well for guys who rock the PFT, if you don't meet the minimum they do a 1-point waiver to boost your score to meet the minimum.
yes, and a few have talked about trying for it on here but as far as I know none have actually obtained it. This is probably one of those things that they use it only when they actually need to, the USMC OSO I knew during my time never had a shortage of applicants.

exNavyOffRec

Not true. My Marine OSO said if I went up for the May board they have, I would leave for OCS in July. The Basic School is after OCS which is what you are referring to.
I think you two are talking about different things. There is a backup for USN SNA's to go to OCS due to over-selection from a goal reduction which the USMC doesn't have. The issue of delays in the pipeline are what would affect both as it is the same pipeline.

In a way the USN SNA's get hit with 2 delays.

ScottL

SNA Pro-Rec Y
College Finance is corporate finance usually... I was a BS economics, more analytical, stats, calculus... I wanted to use that to get into the analytical side of things. Graduated got a job at a firm with 7 Trillion under management (can't say the name on here). Passed my SIE, Series7(hardest test ive ever taken), and series 63. I execute trades for portfolio management, both on the fixed income side, and equity side of things.

Trust me college finance is 70% corporate finance, whole different game. Look for openings as an associate advisor if you want more of a money management type job, client relations (go broker-dealer side, or investments). Get your foot in the door stand out, and then apply internally to move up.
Seems like you've experienced an abundance of success so far, keep up the hard work and stay humble, hopefully you find the challenge of being in the military rewarding and worthwhile.