• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

22MAY2023 SNA/SNFO Board

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
Just send it, worst case is they say no and you’re just back to your current state.
Worst part is I am already expecting a No at this point. Yes maybe Paul didn’t catch it but when the Officer looks it over, they will most likely catch it and the requirements were not met meaning it is an incomplete package. Sucks that it’s a technicality that could be the reason for a NO. Whatever, nothing I can do.

gtownjake

Are these requirements only for AD? Only asking cause I thought LORs (I assume are called appraisals for you) aren’t even required.

exNavyOffRec

Not even Paul or his secretary would be able to fix it? I know the board is Monday but they don’t actually select for a few days I thought.
The files would have already been sent to the board, if they do start on Monday they will be done quite quickly. If it wasn't caught during the routing process it is doubtful the board will catch it, they are looking at scores, not who signed an appraisal.

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
The files would have already been sent to the board, if they do start on Monday they will be done quite quickly. If it wasn't caught during the routing process it is doubtful the board will catch it, they are looking at scores, not who signed an appraisal.
I still find it hard to believe that applicants fill out a whole package over 20 plus pages and they only look at scores. I could definitely be wrong but I feel like there are key factors in the package such as, scores, GPA, appraisals, grammar, etc.

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
I find it hard to believe because looking at pats board spreadsheets, there are applicants with lower scores that got accepted over high scores.

Biff42

I still find it hard to believe that applicants fill out a whole package over 20 plus pages and they only look at scores. I could definitely be wrong but I feel like there are key factors in the package such as, scores, GPA, appraisals, grammar, etc.
Iam kind of with you on this, like for the AD applicants why go through the process of busting ur ass getting 50 plus docs together. But then again I know the board last like 8 hours and like @exNavyOffRec said they are looking for who has the best shot of making it through the pipeline

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
Iam kind of with you on this, like for the AD applicants why go through the process of busting ur ass getting 50 plus docs together. But then again I know the board last like 8 hours and like @exNavyOffRec said they are looking for who has the best shot of making it through the pipeline
Right but like I said, if you look at some of the past boards, there are apps with better scores that didn’t get accepted over some of the people that did.

exNavyOffRec

The need people with the greatest chance of making it through the pipeline, that is why scores are important.

I can't tell you the number of people picked up with 1 paragraph motivational statements.

Prior to requiring OCS dates with the selection list the results for SNA/SNFO/SWO would often be released 48-72 hours after the board started, that would include getting the list to get typed up, reviewed, signed, and then emailed out to all the recruiting districts.
I find it hard to believe because looking at pats board spreadsheets, there are applicants with lower scores that got accepted over high scores.
What you don't see is if there was a waiver or not, sometimes it is just luck of the draw. I know several that were on this site who had asked for advice after getting turned down and they had non-medical waiver that were an issue.

ScottL

SNA Pro-Rec Y
Right but like I said, if you look at some of the past boards, there are apps with better scores that didn’t get accepted over some of the people that did.
Truth is, you've done what you can do at this point and you're in it to win it. I'm QA and believe me when I tell you that if people expect something to be screened before it makes it to them then chances are they're looking for content over details and the parts that matter are what they will see. I would be surprised if in the 2-3 minutes that they're looking at your package they look for anything other than 3/3 appraisals and all tens. Don't mentally self-eliminate, you've still got a horse in this race.

That being said, I'll remember not to ask you to help me with me paperwork in the future.

ScottL

SNA Pro-Rec Y
Iam with you. I think what is going to be my doom is 13 years in service ?
If you're still otherwise competitive, it's not the end of anything for you. Just keep in mind that retirement for you will be after at least 23 years of service (because you have to have at least 20 total and 10 of those while commissioned) but always remember that your TIS was you standing the watch, so in your personal statement you must explain why it makes you a stronger candidate as opposed to trying to explain why it's not a bad thing. Just in case you have to go back to the drawing board.

ScottL

SNA Pro-Rec Y
Are these requirements only for AD? Only asking cause I thought LORs (I assume are called appraisals for you) aren’t even required.
AD has to get three appraisals with officers, at least one from each designator you're applying for. Like @Connordl1120 said, they're different than LORs which are not required but might be useful to have to separate yourself from other similarly qualified applicants.

Iam with you. I think what is going to be my doom is 13 years in service ?
TIS isn’t really an important factor for AVO. If it were they would restrict it like SWO and IWO does. They get you with the mandatory 6 or 8 years after winging. I’ve only met one pilot that broke 1000 flight hours after their MSR (and they were rotary), and you need 500 more to fly with an airline. So they’ll get another tour out of you before you’re even marketable. Note that only logged pilot in command hours count and you won’t be in command for at least halfway through your first sea tour and you can’t log more than 1000 hours in a calendar year per the FAA. The average annual hours for JOs is around 250 hours, but those who take production tour will also log hours ashore. You are up for LCDR and incentive tour at the end of MSR by design. After that, you’re up for command so why leave before then? They’ll get their moneys worth.

However, I should add that if you go to an E-6b you’ll log a shit load. They fly a LOT.

1684667398795.jpeg

Last edited: