• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

22MAY2023 SNA/SNFO Board

FlyingGamecock

TIS isn’t really an important factor for AVO. If it were they would restrict it like SWO and IWO does. They get you with the mandatory 6 or 8 years after winging. I’ve only met one pilot that broke 1000 flight hours after their MSR (and they were rotary), and you need 500 more to fly with an airline. So they’ll get another tour out of you before you’re even marketable. Note that only logged pilot in command hours count and you won’t be in command for at least halfway through your first sea tour and you can’t log more than 1000 hours in a calendar year per the FAA. The average annual hours for JOs is around 250 hours, but those who take production tour will also log hours ashore. You are up for LCDR and incentive tour at the end of MSR by design. After that, you’re up for command so why leave before then? They’ll get their moneys worth.

However, I should add that if you go to an E-6b you’ll log a shit load. They fly a LOT.

View attachment 38158
So for all the pilots that leave after their MSR to go to the airlines, do they go and get more hours before going the airlines? Where do they get the hours from? Seems like getting and extra 500 hours (or more) would cost a lot of money.

gtownjake

Didn’t even know we could submit LOR’s on the civ side. Anyone know how much these help or not?
Word of mouth says no they don’t really help. I included three from reputable sources just to make my package “complete”. The general understanding is that anyone can blow smoke about how good of a person you are on a piece of paper, the real stuff that matters is your scores and GPA. So most say to not even worry about it.

So for all the pilots that leave after their MSR to go to the airlines, do they go and get more hours before going the airlines? Where do they get the hours from? Seems like getting and extra 500 hours (or more) would cost a lot of money.
Production tours (training) for the most part.

Prior military pilots are eligible for a restricted ATP certificate with 750 hours total time and 250 of those being PIC…..

I mean if you want the shitty pay of a first officer on a regional airline by all means go R-ATP lol. You still need 1500 hours to sit in the command seat, and majors typically require in the realm of 3000 to fly for them. You would be taking a major pay cut to leave without logging at least 1500, preferably 3000. Granted, right now they are understaffed so they probably aren’t as picky. But all that is relevant IF you qualify for R-ATP. Remember you’ll get only around 250 total flight hours as a JO per year, likely not making the 250 PIC before you rotate off your first sea tour. So if you don’t get a production job you simply aren’t making the cut before MSR even for R-ATP unless you’re one of the unicorns like the guy I mentioned. Also, that third sea tour is a dissociated tour, meaning unless you are a WTI or a “super JO” you aren’t flying that tour. And you can’t be a WTI if you did production on your shore tour.

The career path is very intentional and very important for career planning purposes. My appraisers made sure I memorized it and could tell them what kind of assignments are expected every milestone. It is by far the most unique “choose your own adventure” of any designator.

Production tours (training) for the most part.

I mean if you want the shitty pay of a first officer on a regional airline by all means go R-ATP lol. You still need 1500 hours to sit in the command seat, and majors typically require in the realm of 3000 to fly for them. You would be taking a major pay cut to leave without logging at least 1500, preferably 3000. Granted, right now they are understaffed so they probably aren’t as picky. But all that is relevant IF you qualify for R-ATP. Remember you’ll get only around 250 total flight hours as a JO per year, likely not making the 250 PIC before you rotate off your first sea tour. So if you don’t get a production job you simply aren’t making the cut before MSR even for R-ATP unless you’re one of the unicorns like the guy I mentioned. Also, that third sea tour is a dissociated tour, meaning unless you are a WTI or a “super JO” you aren’t flying that tour. And you can’t be a WTI if you did production on your shore tour.

The career path is very intentional and very important for career planning purposes. My appraisers made sure I memorized it and could tell them what kind of assignments are expected every milestone. It is by far the most unique “choose your own adventure” of any designator.
Yeah what you say is accurate I’m not disagreeing, just wanted to make it known that you can still get into the cockpit with lower hours. 750 will get you a bottom of the barrel commercial gig, still better than nothin! I remember years ago you could get pretty sweet gigs with the bare minimum commercial certificate and 250 hours. Now even those kind of giga want over 1000

Yeah what you say is accurate I’m not disagreeing, just wanted to make it known that you can still get into the cockpit with lower hours. 750 will get you a bottom of the barrel commercial gig, still better than nothin! I remember years ago you could get pretty sweet gigs with the bare minimum commercial certificate and 250 hours. Now even those kind of giga want over 1000
Yeah, it’s definitely a nice thing they do for us. And I wasn’t trying to negate you, just express how unusual it would be to log the appropriate hours within MSR. But, I’m also in the school of thought that people should want to be Naval Aviators to be Naval Aviators and not as a stepping stone for free flight school so I’d take 12 years of MSR if it meant anything to big navy lol.

Word of mouth says no they don’t really help. I included three from reputable sources just to make my package “complete”. The general understanding is that anyone can blow smoke about how good of a person you are on a piece of paper, the real stuff that matters is your scores and GPA. So most say to not even worry about it.
Flag letters apparently have some impact I’m told. Some people even said they have to personally write a letter back if they deny their candidate, though that one smells like bullshit. Is that BS @exNavyOffRec?

Biff42

TIS isn’t really an important factor for AVO. If it were they would restrict it like SWO and IWO does. They get you with the mandatory 6 or 8 years after winging. I’ve only met one pilot that broke 1000 flight hours after their MSR (and they were rotary), and you need 500 more to fly with an airline. So they’ll get another tour out of you before you’re even marketable. Note that only logged pilot in command hours count and you won’t be in command for at least halfway through your first sea tour and you can’t log more than 1000 hours in a calendar year per the FAA. The average annual hours for JOs is around 250 hours, but those who take production tour will also log hours ashore. You are up for LCDR and incentive tour at the end of MSR by design. After that, you’re up for command so why leave before then? They’ll get their moneys worth.

However, I should add that if you go to an E-6b you’ll log a shit load. They fly a LOT.

View attachment 38158
Makes sense, of all the program authorizations, aviation is one of the few without TIS restrictions for enlisted applicants

exNavyOffRec

Flag letters apparently have some impact I’m told. Some people even said they have to personally write a letter back if they deny their candidate, though that one smells like bullshit. Is that BS @exNavyOffRec?
It is BS, I had several candidates have LORs from flag officers, from 1-3 stars, none were accepted, but also none of them had really great applications, average GPA's, average ASTB, etc....... I even had one who was applied for CEC that had an LOR from his Uncle who was a CEC 1 star, but the kid had a low GPA and no EIT and that equaled no selection.

The bottom line is if you have a good application you have a good chance.

exNavyOffRec

Not even Paul or his secretary would be able to fix it? I know the board is Monday but they don’t actually select for a few days I thought.
I just saw this part about a secretary and it made me laugh, Paul doesn't have a secretary, the processors at NRC are essentially the lowest people at NRC in the officer programs workflow and the first step, the Program Managers are the ones that do the final QA review prior to board.

If when the results come out you if you don't get a yes but get a N you will know your application was reviewed and declined on the merits, if you get a pro-X it was found to have an issue so they could not move forward (pro-X actually covers pretty much all other situations as well), those are often issued not from the board but from NRC for a variety of reasons but it doesn't have the 6 month wait attached to it. If error before they board they send back for corrections, if after the board selections and NRC catches it they give a "X", they don't give many "X" at all.

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
I just saw this part about a secretary and it made me laugh, Paul doesn't have a secretary, the processors at NRC are essentially the lowest people at NRC in the officer programs workflow and the first step, the Program Managers are the ones that do the final QA review prior to board.

If when the results come out you if you don't get a yes but get a N you will know your application was reviewed and declined on the merits, if you get a pro-X it was found to have an issue so they could not move forward (pro-X actually covers pretty much all other situations as well), those are often issued not from the board but from NRC for a variety of reasons but it doesn't have the 6 month wait attached to it. If error before they board they send back for corrections, if after the board selections and NRC catches it they give a "X", they don't give many "X" at all.
I only said his secretary because once I submitted my package to him for review, I was receiving emails from Paul as well as an E5. So maybe it was bad wording but I just meant the person working with him to review these packages. I was able to get ahold of them and they said they would add the missing appraisal in Monday and they apologize for missing it as well. What I take from that is the board may not start tomorrow unless they do it prior to the board starting.

exNavyOffRec

I only said his secretary because once I submitted my package to him for review, I was receiving emails from Paul as well as an E5. So maybe it was bad wording but I just meant the person working with him to review these packages. I was able to get ahold of them and they said they would add the missing appraisal in Monday and they apologize for missing it as well. What I take from that is the board may not start tomorrow unless they do it prior to the board starting.
The board dates are indeed just an estimate, but if it does start tomorrow (Monday) the board most likely won't see it, not that they even care or will look for it, they take just a few minutes to review, SNA/SNFO unlike most other boards goes really fast.

Biff42

The board dates are indeed just an estimate, but if it does start tomorrow (Monday) the board most likely won't see it, not that they even care or will look for it, they take just a few minutes to review, SNA/SNFO unlike most other boards goes really fast.
Do they have separate "piles" for AD and civilian applicatns?